graduating senior, just decided to be a dr

Started by drmaybe
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

drmaybe

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It's always been my secret dream, but I had avoided it because of pressure to go into the family business. Turns out that they were really cool with it when I told them what I really wanted to do after graduating in May with a degree in English, which is take my prereqs (I haven't taken any math or science in college, but am taking precalc for math/sci majors this spring) at Stony Brook. If anyone is in the program, that would be great, I'll be applying for Summer or Fall start and have a few specific questions that I would like to ask privately, so please message me if you're willing.

So I know what classes I need and I'm sure I'll find some medical related experience and volunteer work done in the next three years.

My worry is that I'm not going to be able to handle the classes and/or I will absolutely hate them. Is there any way to make sure that I'm taking the right path before enrolling and taking the plunge? I'm nervous about the whole new idea, which totally changes my plans for the next 2-3 years. Is that the basic timeline? I figured I would take Calc, Bio and Chem the first year and Orgo and Physics and maybe another class the second year. Is that usually how people spread it out or is that too light/heavy for someone that is coming from a soft liberal arts background(but pulled 3.9)?

How well will I have to do in my classes and on my MCAT? I don't care where I go to med school and would even go to the Caribbean or wherever.
 
I think you have a good attitude towards this 🙂 . This will be something new, and you shouldn't try to take everything all at once. You might find out that math/science isn't as hard as you've made it out to be, but still remain cautious.

When taking your first classes, study more than you think you should, way more. Make certain those first tests don't take you by surprise, again they might be easier than expected, but no reason to chance it. Plus if you have a few high A's going into the 2nd half of the semester, you'll be stress free.

The main thing is, you don't want to make any B's. From your description of your previous schools 'grade inflation', you probably have a high gpa, so do not let it slip in math/science classes. If you can make all A's in math/science (and you can) you will be a very solid applicant.

Make sure to get some clinical experience, maybe even a job in a hospital. I've worked in surgery for over 2 years and from there I have received endless networking opportunities which have allowed me to do other medically related activities.

Really make sure you're on top of everything, maybe make a schedule for yourself. You'll need clinical experience, maybe some type of community service/volunteering, possibly research experience, and of course you'll need a good GPA and to have done well on the MCAT. So keep all this in mind and plan out how you're going to achieve all of them. Good luck, you'll do fine :luck:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks. There is a small very confident part of me that thinks I'll do really well. I know that I have the ability to excel in the sciences and math, but I rebelled against the subjects in high school to escape the teachers' comparisons to my older cousin. I did incredibly well on tests while being the class clown. But I didn't take anything in college, and I've heard it is much, much harder.

And looking around on the web, it seems like getting into med school is ridiculously competitive. I hope I don't go through 3 years of hard work to get rejected everywhere...
 
I realized I have another option since I haven't graduated yet. Should I transfer and major in bio, so I could have more of a history in the field? Plus it would set me up better for jobs anyway.