Harvard Extenion School Pre-med program questions 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ell19

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I just got accepted into HES's Postbac Pre-med program and I am slightly confused on what the program truly does for you. I took the majority of my pre-reqs at UVM (where I have a bachelors degree), so I qualify for a committee letter at UVM, and it says to qualify for HES's committee letter you need to take 20 credits and have an undergrad GPA of above a 3.4 or 3.5 (and get Bs in all your HES courses). I will be taking 20 credits- Orgo 1&2, physics 1&2, and biochem and have an undergrad GPA of above a 3.5.

-What would be the advantage of having Harvard Extension write me a committee letter over my undergraduate school? (Will it hold more weight than the University of Vermont because it has the Harvard name?)

-Is there any kind of advising or pre-health advisor that you can ask questions to as a part of the program?

-What other benefits are there to the program besides a Harvard ID and having access to Harvard resources?

-How well do graduates of the program do when getting into medical school? (it lists medical schools that people in the program have been accepted to/or gone to, but it doesn't list any kind of statistics on success rates when applying to medical school when you do well in the program.)

-Are Harvard Summer School courses comparable to HES courses or Harvard College courses?

If anyone has gone through the program, it would be helpful to have your insight!

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
Nicole

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there, Try looking for Gurby and send him a message. He has done the HES program and will be an awesome resource; he is very helpful.