This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDsci0456

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I decided to take higher level science class in Harvard Extension School next summer. I'm not from Boston, but I will be working at Boston's Children Hospital, and I just really want to experience Boston for a while. Went there few months ago to attend HMS seminar and fell inlove with the city.
Anyway, Did anyone took classes at Harvard Extension School as a non-degree seeking student/DIY Post-bacc(taking full time load)? What are you experiences? Btw, one thing that is really important for me is that are we allowed to study in their library? What resources are available for students who are only taking classes in Harvard? Please share your experiences...
And is it hard to find roommates in Boston? First time living alone so just wondering

Members don't see this ad.

Hello. I decided to take higher level science class in Harvard Extension School next summer. I'm not from Boston, but I will be working at Boston's Children Hospital, and I just really want to experience Boston for a while. Went there few months ago to attend HMS seminar and fell inlove with the city.
Anyway, Did anyone took classes at Harvard Extension School as a non-degree seeking student/DIY Post-bacc(taking full time load)? What are you experiences? Btw, one thing that is really important for me is that are we allowed to study in their library? What resources are available for students who are only taking classes in Harvard? Please share your experiences...
And is it hard to find roommates in Boston? First time living alone so just wondering
Hello! I will be attending HES as well next summer and was actually looking to find a roommate. It is pretty difficult to find a roommate, despite having a lot of websites (I don't really trust online posts).

I've spoken to a lot of people who have attended the program and are really satisfied with their experience. We are issued a Harvard Ext ID which gives us access to a lot of buildings (including the library) in Harvard, so yes we are allowed to use the library. I don't know if this is only viable for students in certificate programs, but so far that's what I've grasped. It's a great school that offers great courses, I haven't heard a single bad thing.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello! I will be attending HES as well next summer and was actually looking to find a roommate. It is pretty difficult to find a roommate, despite having a lot of websites (I don't really trust online posts).

I've spoken to a lot of people who have attended the program and are really satisfied with their experience. We are issued a Harvard Ext ID which gives us access to a lot of buildings (including the library) in Harvard, so yes we are allowed to use the library. I don't know if this is only viable for students in certificate programs, but so far that's what I've grasped. It's a great school that offers great courses, I haven't heard a single bad thing.

Hello. Are you in their official Pre-medical Post bacc programs? I'm planning to take biological/medical science courses, as well as a bioinformatic and biotechnology certificate. I'm not sure if they'll give me a Harvard ID with this? Yes, I heard classes in the extension school are great.

And yes, I keep on looking on websites to see if its easy to find a roommate. Most of them are mixed genders, but hopefully I can find an all girls apartment... and hopefully the same age range as I am.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello. Are you in their official Pre-medical Post bacc programs? I'm planning to take biological/medical science courses, as well as a bioinformatic and biotechnology certificate. I'm not sure if they'll give me a Harvard ID with this? Yes, I heard classes in the extension school are great.

And yes, I keep on looking on websites to see if its easy to find a roommate. Most of them are mixed genders, but hopefully I can find an all girls apartment... and hopefully the same age range as I am.

I'm actually just going to add the courses as I go along, I'm not applying for the certificate program because they don't allow current undergraduates to apply (must already be graduated). So I will most likely add the Chem sequence A and B during summer even though it's very rigorous. (I am a career changer). Well if it doesn't work out I'm seeking a roommate (I am also female, 21). I've found really great apartments through Zillow which are 1700-1800 per month, so I think splitting it with a roommate would be ideal.

I'm actually just going to add the courses as I go along, I'm not applying for the certificate program because they don't allow current undergraduates to apply (must already be graduated). So I will most likely add the Chem sequence A and B during summer even though it's very rigorous. (I am a career changer). Well if it doesn't work out I'm seeking a roommate (I am also female, 21). I've found really great apartments through Zillow which are 1700-1800 per month, so I think splitting it with a roommate would be ideal.

Are you planning to stay in Boston for a year also? Okay. I will message you personally. I'm also the same age. And that's true splitting with a roommate is better, its very costly to live in Boston area.

Are you planning to stay in Boston for a year also? Okay. I will message you personally. I'm also the same age. And that's true splitting with a roommate is better, its very costly to live in Boston area.
Two years possibly. And okay, go ahead I will wait for your message.

Hi, you're the first person I've seen on forums who is also pursuing a bioinformatics certificate at HES. I'm in a similar position in that I'm planning to take some science courses and complete a certificate program starting this fall.

Hi, you're the first person I've seen on forums who is also pursuing a bioinformatics certificate at HES. I'm in a similar position in that I'm planning to take some science courses and complete a certificate program starting this fall.

Hey! Let me know what you think of the program. I will be starting next summer.

Hey! Let me know what you think of the program. I will be starting next summer.

Will do! And regarding your question about Harvard IDs, an office member has clarified that Harvard IDs aren't currently given to certificate or DIY students. They are granted to degree-seeking students. They did say that a copy of your state ID and registration can be used to access online library resources, some computer facilities, and career services. And DIY studies and certificate courses would be listed as graduate courses on your transcript, as opposed to post-bacc. Hope this helps.

Regarding housing: it can be difficult to find. If any Harvard Extension female students following this thread are also looking for economic (less costly) Boston housing options this fall and want to share a room, please message me ASAP.

Will do! And regarding your question about Harvard IDs, an office member has clarified that Harvard IDs aren't currently given to certificate or DIY students. They are granted to degree-seeking students. They did say that a copy of your state ID and registration can be used to access online library resources, some computer facilities, and career services. And DIY studies and certificate courses would be listed as graduate courses on your transcript, as opposed to post-bacc. Hope this helps.

Regarding housing: it can be difficult to find. If any Harvard Extension female students following this thread are also looking for economic (less costly) Boston housing options this fall and want to share a room, please message me ASAP.

How long is your programs duration? I'm stuck in the middle deciding if I really should move from California to Boston, MA for the HES Post-Bacc. It's a big move, but I've been wanting to leave CA for a while now.
Definitely looking for a roommate when I start Summer 19 though, that's for sure.

They just closed down the library for extension students ( Grossman Library). So they're giving non-degree students IDs to go to other libraries. So even as a non-degree seeking student, you can get an ID card that allows you access to all the FAS libraries.

If you google search ' Harvard extension ID' you'll find the instructions.