This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wonderment

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm saying this because,
I've been volunteering in the patient care program at a unit in a hospital. I've been made fun of several times by the nurses, respiratory therapists, and physical therapists there and I always hear them make sly remarks towards me, I even had two nurses laugh at me and I heard it and turned around and they stopped.

I am a volunteer so there is not a lot I am trained to do but I try to keep busy and always ask if the nurses or unit clerks need help. One of the requirements of volunteers at the hospital is to change the PPE boxes in every room. Because I have a lot of time to kill, the unit clerk tells me to take my time, so one of the tasks that I do is that I change and sort the gloves (It is mandatory that every box is full and neatly sorted) but it seems like it's looked down at by the nurses and other staff. One time a physical therapists said that I'm must be so bored to do that. After a few times of changing and sorting gloves, many of the respiratory and physical therapists stopped talking to me, they don't even say hi anymore. But I know they still talk about me.
Another time, I was filling a pitcher for a patient and was having trouble with the ice machine and a nurse comes up to me and says," What? You don't have experience to use the ice machine?"

I wish there was more I could do there but there isn't. It's like they get annoyed at me asking them if they need help and seem to be annoyed at having a volunteer present.
For example, I once asked a nurse if she needed any help and she sarcastically said, " Mm no I think everyone got water."
I also have patients that look down on me when I answer call bells when they tell me, " Oh your just a volunteer, I need a nurse."

I may just being sensitive but I leave the hospital feeling bad about myself. I'm there twice a week during the week and I just dread going in most times. Does it get any better?

Members don't see this ad.

I've had really great volunteering experiences and really horrible ones like you've described. Unfortunately, like you said, there just isn't much that you are able/allowed to do. If I were you, I would try a different volunteer placement. For example, my ER and nursing placements consisted of stocking shelves. However, when I moved to PT, I was able to help cancer patients that were in an exercise group. The latter was much more meaningful and I was actually excited to volunteer twice per week.

Yes, like you, I've had volunteer experiences where I didn't have much to do. I never got made fun of, though. :/ That is not OK.

I'd give up on this and possibly look for a position outside of hospital, such as at a hospice, seniors' day program, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean none as bad as Katniss Everdeen or anything but it wasn’t all roses. EMS can be rough though.

Reactions: 1 users
If it makes you feel bad about yourself, stop going.

Try to get reassigned somewhere else or find a different volunteer gig. Summer is coming up so it makes the perfect excuse if anyone asks.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm saying this because, I've been made fun of several times by the nurses, respiratory therapists, and physical therapists there and I always hear them make sly remarks towards me

I think you mean snide remarks.

That's the full extent of the help I can offer. Hope things work out.

I realize it's hard to convey things over an anonymous forum, but based on the comments you wrote out, it doesn't really seem to me that anyone was out to get you. Some of those comments sound like jokes, and perhaps people kind of stopped talking to you since you were taking those comments so seriously. Don't feel bad about not being given extra tasks from the nurses or for patients wanting a nurse as opposed to you. Imagine if you were in that position...I certainly would prefer to speak to a nurse as opposed to a volunteer, unless it's for something like asking a blanket.

Anyway, like I said, I don't really know what the delivery of these comments sounds like...buuuuttt....I would be inclined to maybe not take the things they say to heart so much.

I'm saying this because,
I've been volunteering in the patient care program at a unit in a hospital. I've been made fun of several times by the nurses, respiratory therapists, and physical therapists there and I always hear them make sly remarks towards me, I even had two nurses laugh at me and I heard it and turned around and they stopped.

I am a volunteer so there is not a lot I am trained to do but I try to keep busy and always ask if the nurses or unit clerks need help. One of the requirements of volunteers at the hospital is to change the PPE boxes in every room. Because I have a lot of time to kill, the unit clerk tells me to take my time, so one of the tasks that I do is that I change and sort the gloves (It is mandatory that every box is full and neatly sorted) but it seems like it's looked down at by the nurses and other staff. One time a physical therapists said that I'm must be so bored to do that. After a few times of changing and sorting gloves, many of the respiratory and physical therapists stopped talking to me, they don't even say hi anymore. But I know they still talk about me.
Another time, I was filling a pitcher for a patient and was having trouble with the ice machine and a nurse comes up to me and says," What? You don't have experience to use the ice machine?"

I wish there was more I could do there but there isn't. It's like they get annoyed at me asking them if they need help and seem to be annoyed at having a volunteer present.
For example, I once asked a nurse if she needed any help and she sarcastically said, " Mm no I think everyone got water."
I also have patients that look down on me when I answer call bells when they tell me, " Oh your just a volunteer, I need a nurse."

I may just being sensitive but I leave the hospital feeling bad about myself. I'm there twice a week during the week and I just dread going in most times. Does it get any better?
How long have you been volunteering? It sucks tomatoes at first since no one really knows you that much, but if you get on the good side of nurses and techs they will treat you nicely as well and give you more to do.

If there is literally nothing to do most of the time, and you are not affecting the lives of patients directly or indirectly, get out. Go the Emergency Room or to Hospice/Palliative, or do patient visits which rocks. You will never run out of stuff to do there.

THE FOLLOWING ADVICE IS MEANT TO BE A JOKE:

Make jokes back at them. Ask a nurse “How do the beta cells of the pancreas get destroyed in Diabetes type 1?”.

And immediately follow up with “Oh, never mind, I’ll ask a doctor.”

Or better yet when they make comments about how bored you are, reply back with “Yeah, well at least now I know what nursing school is like!”

DISCLAIMER: If it’s not obvious, I’m kidding. Do NOT do this. Just let it go and remember that one day you’ll be a doctor and you’ll be on top of them at that point and use it as motivation to work harder towards med school.

Last edited:
Make jokes back at them. Ask a nurse “How do the beta cells of the pancreas get destroyed in Diabetes type 1?”.

And immediately follow up with “Oh, never mind, I’ll ask a doctor.”

Or better yet when they make comments about how bored you are, reply back with “Yeah, well at least now I know what nursing school is like!”

DISCLAIMER: If it’s not obvious, I’m kidding. Do NOT do this. Just let it go and remember that one day you’ll be a doctor and you’ll be on top of them at that point and use it as motivation to work harder towards med school.
Thank you for inserting the DISCLAIMER. Many people would go along with this advice unfortunately.

Thank you for inserting the DISCLAIMER. Many people would go along with this advice unfortunately.

I put an additional one on top of my post. I don’t want anyone trying to blame me for their ruined medical career lol.

Smile and make jokes and everyone will like you

Current volunteer where i work is a cute little asian girl. If you try to talk to her she goes “REHEEHEEHEE!” And runs away.

>_>

But anyway, just be friendly and funny and they will enjoy your presence

Switch units. Many of the individuals looking down on you can only feel better by looking down at those beneath them.

I used to volunteer at a doctor's office, and found out the doctor and one of the other volunteer's would talk **** about me. When I found out, I just stopped showing up. No notice or anything. Haven't talked to them since and don't intend to.

I used to volunteer at a doctor's office, and found out the doctor and one of the other volunteer's would talk **** about me. When I found out, I just stopped showing up. No notice or anything. Haven't talked to them since and don't intend to.
As bad as this encounter was, if you decide to list experiences anywhere on your resume you must make sure you broke your relationship cleanly.

Yes, and you call a nurse. That's why you are there. That's your job as a volunteer. I see nothing bad with that. Patients pulled the cord, I was first to enter the room, and if they called a nurse, I called the nurse.

Sometimes people can see if we like something or not. Maybe you do seem bored and don't like what you are doing.

Like others have suggested, you might change the positions or units and see if that helps. But I am almost sure, you have to change something.

Good Luck!
This.

Your attitude matters a ton anywhere you work or volunteer. Believe it or not, people notice more things than you might expect. For example, they notice, even subconciously, body language. They notice facial expression, they notice whether you take initiative, how you respond when someone gives you a task et cetera et cetera. They even notice when you are on your phone or studying or whatever. I learned this the hard way at my research job when I gave every indication that I was not interested in the research and studying for the MCAT. You need to be very cautious with the way you carry yourself. Look enthused and happy to be there, and nurses and techs will notice. Look mopey and unbearable, and nurses will either ignore you or crap on you.

On top of the fact that you are practically invisible as a volunteer at a hospital to most nurses and techs, if you mope around and seem useless workers will treat you as such because they simply don't have time for that.

I'm saying this because,

I want to say that I understand how you must feel to be in a new exciting environment (I was one of those pre-meds who thought that hospitals were awesome just because doctors worked there & that's where lives were saved; I kind of still do), ready to learn and do, but having no real way to contribute. It makes you feel a little useless and self-conscious about what others are saying about you. That's fine and to be expected.

However, this may be causing you to be more sensitive and take things a little too personally. That is something that you need to work on. I am not saying that nurses or any other hospital staff can't be snarky, but in my experience that is part of the overall hospital environment. Those that work in a hospital see lots of gross and sort of depressing stuff, so the sarcasm and critical joking is a means of coping. I would actually take the fact that they were joking with you as a sign that they you have been accepted into the group/hospital.

Secondly, you need to realize that you will not always have anything to contribute during your volunteer shift. You are a mostly untrained volunteer and people know that; do not expect to always be busy in the hospital (especially if it's not some level 1 trauma center or major academic center). Practice enthusiasm and just let people know that you are willing to do whatever they want if they need it. But stop asking if there's anything that they want you to do repeatedly (state it once at the start of your shift, then sit somewhere in the open so they can find you). That constant asking can become annoying if they are already busy and they can't use you for anything at the moment.

Thirdly, if it is allowed, I would bring a book and keep yourself busy (I do not suggest phones early on, even if it is slow, as it seems like you're disengaged and people do not know your personality that well yet). But always be ready to offer assistance if you see someone struggling with something you can help with. Also, always be engaging with wandering patients (e.g. help with directions) and their families (e.g. "do you need water or towels").

Finally, you might not ever find a hospital 'bestie' but you will become part of the hospital landscape for those that work in it. That will help them get to know you and learn to rely on you for what they can.

EDIT: You should also DEFINITELY be referring patients to a nurse or physician when they ask for one. & you should do so cheerily. You are not a healthcare provider and they are requesting one so do not be offended by a patient exercising their right to that. Your goal is to provide a better experience (& hopefully outcome) by working with the healthcare TEAM that you are on. Play your position (e.g. getting nurses, directing people in the right direction, answering phones, getting water, etc.) and allow others to play theirs (e.g. nurses, doctors, techs, etc.).

As bad as this encounter was, if you decide to list experiences anywhere on your resume you must make sure you broke your relationship cleanly.
I had already been accepted to med school at this point, so it didn't matter. I never even asked for a rec from him.