Hate being broke...anybody else feel this way?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VCorp

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently a 3rd year medical student. Hate being broke and not being able to afford nice things like a new car, trips, etc etc. btw, typing this up on the phone so excuse the typing errors.

Went to AllenEdmond today and wanted these new dress shoes. Were on sale for 50% off and it sucked I still couldn't get these shoes. Wished I had made better financial decisions in my early 20s so I could afford these things now. I hate complaining because I'm fortunate enough to have no student loans/debt; bit would be nice to have nice things.

An I the only one that feels this way?

Members don't see this ad.

Currently a 3rd year medical student. Hate being broke and not being able to afford nice things like a new car, trips, etc etc. btw, typing this up on the phone so excuse the typing errors.

Went to AllenEdmond today and wanted these new dress shoes. Were on sale for 50% off and it sucked I still couldn't get these shoes. Wished I had made better financial decisions in my early 20s so I could afford these things now. I hate complaining because I'm fortunate enough to have no student loans/debt; bit would be nice to have nice things.

You couldn't get those $200 shoes half off just because you wanted to? Sounds rough dawg. Sorry you can't take that vacation to the Bahamas you want.

firstworldproblemsgirl.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
Hate being broke and not being able to afford nice things like a new car, trips, etc etc.

Went to AllenEdmond today
I hate complaining because I'm fortunate enough to have no student loans/debt; bit would be nice to have nice things.

george_w_bush_59.jpg

You are what's wrong in medicine.
Sorry you can't take that vacation to the Bahamas you want

Came for this. Wasn't disappointed.

ITT: someone w no student loans or debt complains about not having fancy shoes.

I hate you and I don't even know you.

Members don't see this ad :)
OP please..

Broke? Try having 250K in debt, 2K on the credit card, 3 more months rent and not enough money in the bank account from loans to cover it. Oh and eras opens in an hour..

"I cried because I had no shoes, until I met a man who had no feet" -- Gandhi.

I mean seriously, what is the purpose of $300 dress shoes in med school. Are you married? Cause it is not like these shoes will attract girls. I guess if you are trying to get guys they might be a good investment.

I mean seriously, what is the purpose of $300 dress shoes in med school. Are you married? Cause it is not like these shoes will attract girls. I guess if you are trying to get guys they might be a good investment.

Believe it or not, many of them are a sound investment. A solid pair of Allen Edmonds will last you much much longer than a pair of $100 (or $50) shoes. Additionally, many (but not all) AE styles are infinitely better looking than the square toed, rubber soled monstrosities 99% of male med students (and males in general) sport.

I'd rather own a great looking pair of sturdy, more comfortable shoes for 10+ years than continually buy hideous Kenneth Cole/Ecco/Aldo/Steve Madden garbage every year or two. But that's just me.

That said, if money is tight while in med school, a cheap pair of shoes isn't a bad stopgap measure; however, the goal should be to get to the point where you can afford to invest in a couple pairs of very nice shoes that will last you a very long time, and look great doing so. Of course, having no debt/loans puts you way ahead of the curve compared with most medical students.

i would not call not affording a new car or going to fancy trips every year being broke. You standards seem to be pretty high.

Believe it or not, many of them are a sound investment. A solid pair of Allen Edmonds will last you much much longer than a pair of $100 (or $50) shoes. Additionally, many (but not all) AE styles are infinitely better looking than the square toed, rubber soled monstrosities 99% of male med students (and males in general) sport.

I'd rather own a great looking pair of sturdy, more comfortable shoes for 10+ years than continually buy hideous Kenneth Cole/Ecco/Aldo/Steve Madden garbage every year or two. But that's just me.

That said, if money is tight while in med school, a cheap pair of shoes isn't a bad stopgap measure; however, the goal should be to get to the point where you can afford to invest in a couple pairs of very nice shoes that will last you a very long time, and look great doing so. Of course, having no debt/loans puts you way ahead of the curve compared with most medical students.

lol wow shoes, i hope you are a women, lol

I agreed with you slightly up until that last sentence, yeah being a poor student without a lot of excess cash kinda sucks (more so when married) THEN I read you have no debt and I thought you should probably just take out a couple hundred grand and buy what you want. With your obvious lack of knowledge of investments and delayed gratification this advice should ring true, it is what your other classmates are probably doing anyway...you deserve it, as a hard working medical student you have obviously payed your dues and earned the right to fancy shoes, weekends in Vail and an M3.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Grab some AEs on the cheap over at Nordstrom Rack.

Or, even better, with their sale on seconds (second quality shoes), you can get nearly flawless new pairs for ~50% off (or more).

It's embarrassing for people like Kahreek that TV/movies have taught him that striving to look like a goon is an admirable goal, lest he be mistaken for one of dem der homersheckshuals.

I have a pair of AEs and some Alden boots, so the quality doesn't go unappreciated. But I never would have dropped that much $ on footwear as a med student.

To each his own, but shoes = stop gap in med school for the most part.

Eccos were my choice, and there are probably a lot of cheaper options. If you get some shoe shine they should last through MS3 and MS4, easy. Obviously the rubber sole is not as nice, and they are churned out in a factory somewhere, but the leather is not bad and they are comfortable. My ENT chairman had the same Ecco shoes as me in residency. Another faculty that was very well established wore timberlands.

The reason that the rich were so rich, Vimes reasoned, was because they managed to spend less money.

Take boots, for example. He earned thirty-eight dollars a month plus allowances. A really good pair of leather boots cost fifty dollars. But an affordable pair of boots, which were sort of OK for a season or two and then leaked like hell when the cardboard gave out, cost about ten dollars. Those were the kind of boots Vimes always bought, and wore until the soles were so thin that he could tell where he was in Ankh-Morpork on a foggy night by the feel of the cobbles.

But the thing was that good boots lasted for years and years. A man who could afford fifty dollars had a pair of boots that'd still be keeping his feet dry in ten years' time, while the poor man who could only afford cheap boots would have spent a hundred dollars on boots in the same time and would still have wet feet.

This was the Captain Samuel Vimes 'Boots' theory of socioeconomic unfairness.

This was the Captain Samuel Vimes 'Boots' theory of socioeconomic unfairness.

This is an interesting theory, and probably applied to shoes at one point in history.

You do have to be careful in the $75 to $150 price range. Some of the brands are more style/fashion oriented and the really cut corners on quality. But, I would say that is the sweet spot for function and value as long as you don't need American made Goodyear welted shoes.

95% of people don't buy shoes in the $300+ price range and they do just fine. Nice dress shoes have to be resoled and usually people have multiple pairs they rotate.

Now I guess the OP was saying he was couldn't afford something on sale. But, that just goes back to whining/trolling when he doesn't have any student loans. If you are really that worried about it, take out $5000 to spiff out your wardrobe, it won't break you in the long run.

And go ahead and take a vacation, while you are at it. You should probably borrow money to pay off your credit card, anyway.

This is exactly to what I was trying to get through with my post. My wardrobe is small with quality clothes that I know which will last me through the years of the med school. I mean ive still got the same dress shirts from 2nd year of college because they last and still look new. I don't want to have to go out and purchase new clothes every so often.

Same with the car. Have a BMW at the moment that I got after my Dad got his new car. I wanted to get rid of it for something "new" as in an older toyota, Acura, or Infiniti because they're more reliable. Last thing I want is the 12 year old car to break down while driving to rotations, having to deal with the expensive maintenance (ie brake changes on the car alone is around $900). Rather sell the car now to get the most out of it and use that money for a car that'll last me through residency.

This is exactly to what I was trying to get through with my post. My wardrobe is small with quality clothes that I know which will last me through the years of the med school. I mean ive still got the same dress shirts from 2nd year of college because they last and still look new. I don't want to have to go out and purchase new clothes every so often.

Same with the car. Have a BMW at the moment that I got after my Dad got his new car. I wanted to get rid of it for something "new" as in an older toyota, Acura, or Infiniti because they're more reliable. Last thing I want is the 12 year old car to break down while driving to rotations, having to deal with the expensive maintenance (ie brake changes on the car alone is around $900). Rather sell the car now to get the most out of it and use that money for a car that'll last me through residency.

Bub, I know you think you're making your case, but you're really not.

K well believe what you want...

Dude. Just stop.

Being broke does suck, but living comfortably is the main part. Noone actually expects med students to be loaded to buy expensive things. Basically, nice affordable things on sale are key. Bargain shopping for slashed prices, and getting things cheap are super awesome!

Maybe in 10-15 years I'll be in a spot to buy expensive things. But for now, anything 100 dollars or more is VERY expensive to me. :(

K well believe what you want...

You do realize anyone who funds their own medical school tuition will be paying loan payments of thousands of dollars each month after they finish residency, right?

"I cried because I had no shoes, until I met a man who had no feet" -- Gandhi.

This reminds me of Someone Saying Surgical residency was better than being tortured in a POW Camp.

Preach on buddy !

You do realize anyone who funds their own medical school tuition will be paying loan payments of thousands of dollars each month after they finish residency, right?

More importantly is will be the loan payments we make DURING residency, while this dude is taking his 50K salary all the way to the bank.

12 year old car.. I am THRILLED I was able to find a wrecked six year old Forester for a good price. That thing is going to last me until my loans are paid off (all 250K worth). Up until finding this car I was driving a 1993 sports car with 170K on it every day.

Oh, and I am wearing dress shoes I bought my freshman year of high school. And the suit jacket/pants.

Believe it or not, many of them are a sound investment. A solid pair of Allen Edmonds will last you much much longer than a pair of $100 (or $50) shoes.

He's correct. The maximum value-to-price ratio is not found in either the luxury end, or the inexpensive end of the shoe price spectrum.

Allen Edmonds are about the maximum quality-to-price ratio you will find in shoes today. And yes, in the long run you will spend LESS money by purchasing a pair of these and taking care of them than buying cheaper shoes. They can also be maintained to look fantastic for decades.

Kent Wang is another value line of very high quality shoes (internet only).

+1

Please refer back to my prior post.

And holy **** those dudes are ripping you off hard rich boy. Go change your own brakes for 80 bucks and you'll have enough money left over to buy your fancy shoes.

Can't be done on the e39 chassis. Need to change out all the braking components, otherwise do work in my car. Change the oil, spark plugs, and other basic stuff when it needs be. Even did the cooling system overhaul. Saved about $500 doing it with a friend.

he speaks the truth... dont hate, AE are great shoes that can be worn easily for a decade with resoling and stay classic.

Always liked this dude and CDI from the step 1 forums...

come on dude, you drive a beamer. Get a grip here, I drive a ten year old mitsubishi with over 100K miles on it as an MS3 and I hope it will make it through a surgical residency. You have no loans, you're doing better than 90% of medical students you should be cognizant of that.

Besides, you'll get a paycheck in residency. You can use that to buy a used car. Seriously, I can't afford allen edmonds right now either. You can buy some used ones on ebay or go thrifting, I have found some great AEs that way. You'll be able to afford a pair of AE's in residency.

AE has a sale on their clearance shoes online right now. :laugh:

I got you beat though, '97 Sentra. Gonna put some antique/historic tags on it once I'm an attending and pick up the wimenz.

Not having loans of any sort means you're wealthier than like 90% of America, not just med students. Imagine if you had $300k in loans and didn't match. :eek:

Srsly, not having loans is probably the most amazing scenario possible.

I remember as a 4th year, I had to closely monitor how much money I'd spend at a bar. I didn't want to go without groceries cause I was being a little too loose buying drinks for people :O

Stop what?

Even among med students... You are the 1%er

You have no debt.

You're driving a BMW you got from your dad.

Posting about feeling sad you can't buy your fancy shoes is pathetic. Show some self awareness that your problems are trivial compared to the debt of the majority of med students, to say nothing of the average person.

*disclaimer: I own several pairs of AE that I love. The value/cost ratio of the shoes is not the point.

Last edited:
Srsly, not having loans is probably the most amazing scenario possible.

I remember as a 4th year, I had to closely monitor how much money I'd spend at a bar. I didn't want to go without groceries cause I was being a little too loose buying drinks for people :O

I'll take a middle stance. I got no loans either, no income or savings either. I can agree it does suck at times plus you always feel guilty taking/borrowing parents money. (ie. exams, interview costs, clothes, food...) One good thing is it guilts you into not getting hammered on their hard earned money.

OP just needs to get creative though.
CC churning, FTW.

Can't be done on the e39 chassis. Need to change out all the braking components, otherwise do work in my car. Change the oil, spark plugs, and other basic stuff when it needs be. Even did the cooling system overhaul. Saved about $500 doing it with a friend.

Yeah no dude. One quick search on changing the brakes on a e39 yields like 10 tutorials.

http://www.unitedbimmer.com/forums/.../10714-diy-e39-e36-brake-pad-replacement.html

Anyway who cares...you're still complaining about your "hand me down" 5-series.