Have You Ever Applied to Medical School w/ Your Wife or Husband?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sweetfishy87

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello:

My wife and I are applying to medical school together in 2017. We are very competitive applicants, and we recognize the likelihood of being accepted at the same university. Have you experienced or do you know of anyone in a similar situation? Do you have any insight? Thank you for your feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello:

My wife and I are applying to medical school together in 2017. We are very competitive applicants, and we recognize the likelihood of being accepted at the same university. Have you experienced or do you know of anyone in a similar situation? Do you have any insight? Thank you for your feedback!.

I knew two folks that applied as an engaged couple. Accepted to the same school and got married during school. Now they're couples matching.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello:

My wife and I are applying to medical school together in 2017. We are very competitive applicants, and we recognize the likelihood of being accepted at the same university. Have you experienced or do you know of anyone in a similar situation? Do you have any insight? Thank you for your feedback!.

I applied with the wife.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
So this is tangentially related to this and I don't meant to hijack this thread but:

My girlfriend and I applied this cycle, she has been accepted and will likely be in Chicago while I will likely be in NY state (providing I get off of 1 of 3 waitlists or convert my final remaining interview). Its a pretty serious relationship and we're both very independent people, planning without question to continue the relationship into med school with the couples match as a great endpoint for the LDR thing. While I'm confident in our ability to do LDR, I still find it difficult to say "oh we're different than all those other couples who can't make med school work". Obviously this is different, as most couples in this situation only have one person in med school and the other therefore might not understand the rigor of med school, but I was still wondering what are some of the biggest challenges to a different med school LDR?

My wife applied to PA programs and I applied to MD programs so it is slightly different. BUT, I would say, something to keep in mind is that you should notify the school if your wife gets an interview but you are rejected or vice versa. A polite email that says "I understand that a lot of effort has already gone into evaluating my application and deciding that I am not eligible for an interview this year. However, I was recently married and my wife received an interview and she loves your school. Would it be possible to take another look at my application because we feel strongly about staying together in medical school?" What is the worst they can tell you, "no, go fly a kite". It is important to keep in mind the timing of this email, don't do it pre-rejection unless she has been accepted. And be patient, if you two are truly competitive applicants it will work out fine but it might be a longer wait.

Reactions: 1 users