Hawaii College of Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
micph7 said:
Hi Hiepster,

It seems to me that we are on our own, but I am still wondering if Mr. Park will find lenders for us prior to the fee deadline. I am not sure if I should want to wait for couple more weeks? Well, it isn't hard to get a co-signer, but the problem is who's going to help paying the debt immediately following check disbursement. *sigh* guess I would have to be patiently wait for the miracle :confused:
Thanks for the quick respond, I have no problem finding cosignor but it's hard finding a bank that would loan the money. Any suggestion ?

Members don't see this ad.

hiepster said:
Thanks for the quick respond, I have no problem finding cosignor but it's hard finding a bank that would loan the money. Any suggestion ?

You can get personal loan at any banking institutions though as long as you or your co-signer have good credit, but the interest is high.

I got loan from BankOne with a 10%application fee and around 9%interest rate. I have very good credit w/o a co-signer. This was back in April while HICP was on their list of approved school. Without this money I don't think I could attend HICP. I hope the financial situation will improve for all my fellow classmates. Here's a thought, if it's tough to get a loan now, how hard will it be to get a loan for year 2 and 3? Has anyone thought that far down the line?

Members don't see this ad :)
ucrsandstorm said:
I got loan from BankOne with a 10%application fee and around 9%interest rate. I have very good credit w/o a co-signer. This was back in April while HICP was on their list of approved school. Without this money I don't think I could attend HICP. I hope the financial situation will improve for all my fellow classmates. Here's a thought, if it's tough to get a loan now, how hard will it be to get a loan for year 2 and 3? Has anyone thought that far down the line?

Thanks for the input ucrsandstorm. Was it a personal loan or educational loan? Could you defer repayment 'til after graduation? Deferment doesn't apply to personal loan right? Thanks
For me, getting the loan for first year has already been an obstacle. So I guess I'll take care first thing first, a step at a time...=)...You've raised a great concern, but answer won't be available 'til then.

micph7 said:
Thanks for the input ucrsandstorm. Was it a personal loan or educational loan? Could you defer repayment 'til after graduation? Deferment doesn't apply to personal loan right? Thanks
For me, getting the loan for first year has already been an obstacle. So I guess I'll take care first thing first, a step at a time...=)...You've raised a great concern, but answer won't be available 'til then.

Hey micph7,

My loan terms are that repayment could be deferred until graduation (they gave me 6months grace period Jan/2008, however the interest start to accumulate now.) It was an education loan. I haven't looked into a personal loan but I assume that repayment starts right away and the interest is high (not like 9.5% isn't high). If other people have any useful info on this subject, please feel free to add.

ucrsandstorm said:
Hey micph7,

My loan terms are that repayment could be deferred until graduation (they gave me 6months grace period Jan/2008, however the interest start to accumulate now.) It was an education loan. I haven't looked into a personal loan but I assume that repayment starts right away and the interest is high (not like 9.5% isn't high). If other people have any useful info on this subject, please feel free to add.

thanks ucrsandstorm,

Do you have any idea why HICP withdrew its application with Bankone? I feel very weird about this since Bankone already allowed students to loan, but how come not now. So it is left with either Bankone made a mistake or HICP decided to withdraw its participation for some reasons. Why does it help to some students and not others? I raised this question up because I contacted people from Bankone several times and here's what one of them replied me:
" I would recommend that you speak with someone at your school about submitting the documentation outlined in the school consideration requirements document I attached to my previous email. We have sent the school consideration requirements out to your educational institution previously but have not yet received any documentation back so that we may make a decision on adding them to our list of approved schools. If you have any questions please let me know."

Sincerely,

Stephen D. Roger
Client Services
First Marblehead Education Resources
1-617-832-0941
[email protected]

Here's the school consideration requirements document that Bankone sent me:
TERI SCHOOL APPROVAL
CONSIDERATION REQUIREMENTS

Below is a list of the documents that must be submitted by a school interested in becoming TERI-approved:

?Financial Statements: Most current three (3) years financial statements. Financial statements must be audited.

?Proof of Accreditation: A copy of the letter stating the school is accredited by a recognized regional or national accreditation agency.

?Business License: Proof that the school is conducting business legally in the state in which they are doing business.

?Federal Loan Program letter: If the school has participated in Federal Education Loan Programs, A copy of the Department of Education?s default letter must be submitted to TERI.

?Federal Loan Program Default rate: If the school has participated in Federal Education Loan Programs, the school?s default rate must not exceed 12 percent.

?Non-Federal Loan Program Default rate: If the school has not participated in Federal Education Loan Programs but has accumulated default data from any other programs, such information must be shared with TERI.

?School Catalog: The school catalog which shows that the school is degree or certificate granting, and any other pertinent documents of this nature.

Also, I had a talk with Mr. Park regarding of the loan issue; all he told was that students have to take care of the loan on their own now. What a plain answer; I am very confused with this. I am not sure whether or not the school doesn't meet one of the above requirements, but if it doesn't meet one of the above requirement, why Bankone considered the school at first? Arrrg... Inputs from anyone is welcomed! ;)

micph7, I believe that HICP doesnt meet at least one of the requirements,
" Proof of Accreditation: A copy of the letter stating the school is accredited by a recognized regional or national accreditation agency."
The school is not currently accrediated. They will be seeking accrediation in the future, but at this point in time they arent. This is probably causing all the problems with getting education or federal loans. I know that this post has gotten pretty long, but the accreditation topic was discussed in this post and maybe reading those replies will give you some more information. Hope this helps :)

In light of the new HICP thread that got closed down this afternoon, I would like to say a few things.

South, JD, and many others have been voicing concerns not because they don't like HICP or its incoming students, but because they were concerned for those students. If you go back to page 5 and start reading the thread, you will notice that South and JD were raising legitimate points about HICP and initially got flamed for saying nothing more than that there were red flags to pay attention to. I would think that everyone here would agree that at the very least we could all agree that the situation at HICP needs to be discussed so that incoming students are aware of its potential ramifications.

South is in the first class at a new school, so he knows a bit about school startup and issues that can arise. So, I can see why he has a particular interest in this thread.

The closed thread from this afternoon illustrates that some people still do not appreciate that pointing out potential reservations about a school is not a sign of disrespect but a sign of concern. If you are upset at JD or South for what they have said on this thread, I urge you to reconsider their motives.

Here is the closed thread in case you want to read it.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=131572

For anyone who questions Caverject's true motivations about HICP check this out..
Caverject said:
ucrsandstorm said:
Caverject,

Thanks so much for the info. Here is some other question I have if you got some time.

So if one does well on the PCAT then schools will over look GPA's.

3 vs 4 years schools.
Isn't it better to go to a 3yr Pharm school vs. 4. Aren't you saving yourself a year of tution.

To be honest with you I would feel much better I graduated from USC Pharm school vs. a new pharm school. Am I baised about this or does it matter? Wouldn't you have an easier time finding a position with a degree from USC vs a new pharm school?

Are you a student at South?

Are there other schools you would recomend applying too.

Do you think the HICP people are less qualified students and would that follow them as future pharmacist? I mean if you we a HICP student trying to get a job wouldn't the head pharm want to hire a pharmacist from a better school(ie UCSF, USC)?

Thanks Caverject.

As far as the PCAT goes, it can help. It wont totally replace a GPA, but it will help lessen the blow if your grades are less than stellar.

3 year vs 4 year school: It all depends on what you are looking for. I would be hesitant to say it is better. I choose it because I liked South University and wanted to try it. You do in fact "save" a year's worth tuition but usually the price of tuition is much higher than at most private 4 year schools. So going to school at Nova Southeastern University for four years will cost about the same as it does for me to go to school at South University for 3 years. Does that make sense?

If a USC grad and myself were to go after a job, I would say that they do not look at where we graduated at. Most employers do not care where you graduated from as long as you have a degree and licensed. The only time they would advantage over me is if we were competing for a residency.

Yes, I am a student at South

I believe all schools are good, except Texas Southern. It all depends on what kind of school you want to go to.

I would be reluctant to say that HICP students are less qualified students. I am sure that they are a fine group of students with some being absoultly awesome, and some being schmucks. It's like that at every pharmacy school. As long as HICP is successful in the accreditation process, they will be just as elgible for a pharmacist position as would a USC graduate. The person hiring will hire based on who is better rather than where they are from. (Unless the person hiring is biased and went to USC)

Anymore questions, feel free to PM me

This is a conversation I had with him right after someone was attacking him last week. Caverject brings up very good concerns about HICP that we should think about. He is not trying to put anyone down. Read for yourself and Caverject thanks for all your advice and concerns. I did get into HICP and find his points of views invaluable to all of us who are going. Thank You Caverject.

dontworry said:
micph7, I believe that HICP doesnt meet at least one of the requirements,
" Proof of Accreditation: A copy of the letter stating the school is accredited by a recognized regional or national accreditation agency."
The school is not currently accrediated. They will be seeking accrediation in the future, but at this point in time they arent. This is probably causing all the problems with getting education or federal loans. I know that this post has gotten pretty long, but the accreditation topic was discussed in this post and maybe reading those replies will give you some more information. Hope this helps :)

OK, show of hands, how many of you who got accepted to HICP were able to secured loans ? I know the first 10 or 20 got it through bank one but there are 130 who got accepted. Every bank that I called gave the same answer, they need the DOE code, which HICP doesn't have yet until it's accredited, from the school to loan me money. I'd appreciate your response.

I just wanted to know if Hawaii is allowing students to defer, if they can not come up to the money.

I was just wondering if anyone is still looking for a roomate for this fall. Please let me know asap. Thanks!

Has anyone visited HICP yet?????? Feel free to message me when you can.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys and gals. I need your suggestions, I want to apply through early decision prgram. I understand that if the school that i apply through early admission, I must accept the admission if i get accepted. Therefore I think apply through early decision program helps me to know if i get accept or deny earlier. Do you think so?.............. Please share your thoughts about this early admission process. I appreciate it
In addition, the school I chose to apply through this process is LECOM. Please give me any comments about this school. Thank you so much

Please make a list of three-year program schools

LECOM, PA
South University, GA
Hawaii, HA
Nevada College of Pharmacy
Massasuchetts, Worcester

The schools above offer three- year program. If anybody knows what are other three-year program. Please let me know. Thank you so much

vanatv said:
Therefore I think apply through early decision program helps me to know if i get accept or deny earlier. Do you think so?..............

If you want to go to LECOM and your ready, then by all means apply early. If you get in then go. There's nothing wrong with that as long as this is where you want to go. You might get rejected from LECOM if you didn't apply earlier. And what if you don't get into any schools.

Just depends if you think you can get into the other 3yr programs.
Good Luck

I'm on the 9 year program. :eek:

general advice:
If you want to do something, don't worry so much about how long it is going to take you. If there is a school out there that really suits you except it is a 4 year school, don't pass it up.

Hi vanatv,

I believe UOP - University of the Pacific in Stockton, CA is a 3 year program also.

I am new to the forum and appreciate your many useful information here.

I was accepted by HICP a few weeks ago am also very concerned about its accreditation status.

For those of you who will also join HICP and who are currently living in Hawaii, would it be possible for you to come to the school and talk with the people there to know what preparations have been done: classrooms? equipments? faculty? curriculum. We can always call them but it is difficult to reach them now, and being there really makes a big different. Appreciate it very much if you could help,

Midwestern University in Glendale, AZ is also a 3-year program.

I am a Hawaii resident that is attending pharmacy school in AZ. I understand that UH-Hilo is currently in discussions regarding a school of pharmacy. Hopefully, that will pan out in the future. I wish all of you that have applied and been accepted to HICP the best. However, I would think long and hard about a school with no accreditation and no promise of such against a private debt that may not be possible to repay if things go wrong.

Did anyone who got into the school were able to defer their enrollment?

rxdoc05 said:
I am a Hawaii resident that is attending pharmacy school in AZ. I understand that UH-Hilo is currently in discussions regarding a school of pharmacy. Hopefully, that will pan out in the future. I wish all of you that have applied and been accepted to HICP the best. However, I would think long and hard about a school with no accreditation and no promise of such against a private debt that may not be possible to repay if things go wrong.

I think you don't know what you are talking about. I just talked with the UH-Hilo people and they stated that they too have to go thru the same accreditation process just like HICP. HICP is only 3 yrs whereas UH-Hilo will require 4 yrs. Whether you are a private or pubic institution you have to go through accreditation no matter what.....

Again, there are no guarantees on their part-uh-hilo. Now, if they don't get accreditation..."no promise of such against a public debt that may not be possible to repay if things go wrong" (RXDOC05, 2004). What if UH-Hilo does not get accredited then what? No guarantees bud..... :smuggrin: :smuggrin: :smuggrin: :smuggrin:

You are missed informed...call yourself bradah hicp for the facts and not run you mouth...I did...and got educated...

I just found out that HICP has taken a strong legal stance of any mis-representation will be dealt on a civil case......they have monitored this site and will make such cases against anyone...so much for free speech.... (pharmdjd, 2004).

I would do the same if I were in their shoes....there is so much salmander on this site that most forget the true essences and nobility of what HICP is trying to do and achieve.....

:love:

Somebody catch the loose salamander!

Instead of spending time monitoring this site, perhaps HICP should find loans for its students. I understand Western actually loans their students money to go to school.

Microbus out

pharmgurl2004 said:
I just found out that HICP has taken a strong legal stance of any mis-representation will be dealt on a civil case......they have monitored this site and will make such cases against anyone...so much for free speech.... (pharmdjd, 2004).

I would do the same if I were in their shoes....there is so much salmander on this site that most forget the true essences and nobility of what HICP is trying to do and achieve.....

You have got to be kidding. HICP is going to civilly sue some SDNers for "salamander"? BRING IT ON HICP!!!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Edit: You are not helping the case against HICP. Is HICP aware of your hostile nature and lack of communication skills/English language comprehension?

pharmgurl2004 said:
You are missed informed...call yourself bradah hicp for the facts and not run you mouth...I did...and got educated...

I have to admit, you certainly take the prize for most bizarre and completely nonsensical posts. I particularly enjoyed your other post, where you described calling HICP and "bitching them out".

I'm sure that if there were any truth to your claim that HICP was pursuing legal action, it would do absolute WONDERS for their already fantastic public relations! Big brother is watching?! :scared: :rolleyes:

I don't know about "salamanders", but I bet they have some in Hawaii. I have a corn snake... it's red.

Congratulations on beating the proverbial dead horse, and good luck with those loans. ;)

PS- Why the hostility against Hilo? Is there a problem with new pharmacy schools??

JD, I believe what she actually said she was "going to bichth them out rahter than hiding". You need to stop being "missed informed" and "not run you mouth". There is already "so much salmander on this site" that we cannot tolerate anymore. :laugh:

We go from bad
pharmgurl2004 said:
this site....

I am sick of pharmacy school and no longer believe in the senese of continuing. I am appalled at the many stabs that this instiution has taken......South2006 you make me sick and made me reconsider my options for pharmacy school. Your negative post along with others has given this profession and not this school a bad taste of whats to come in this profession.

Please stop because you don't represent the positive light of my choosen profession; rather you are just a person bent on getting revenge....were you accpeted? or rejected?

If you feel that strongly against this school than why not apply to another school of your choice. Are you a burned out pharmacist and just want payback; if so, you are doing us all a dis-service.

Just think without this institution no one has nothing to bitch about. I say to all you nay sayers go apply to the other colleges of pharmacy. Instead of posting many negative remarks you should all be ashamed of yourself. Opps I forgot most of the childish post are nothing more than venting..hehehehehe...

I just got my acceptance letter to a school in the mid-west and thankful for the invitation; however, I am still considering of attending hawaii....

Now, why should I attend hawaii than UIC. Well, I am sick and tired of you all badgering this inconsiquential school. I think that this school has much to offer since ya all post rude and unprofessional remarks. Now with that said; there must be something unique....in the middle of the pacific....

I gather most of the post in this site is to vent your frustration....now I say why not call them and speak your mind....I tried and cannot get a hold of them sometime; however, with perisistance I managed to get a hold of them and givem hell....

Now as far as posting pictures on this site....you must be a childish person and not reponsible enough to tackle the real world....why post when you can call them and given F***k hell....Why hide....?

Hey, if I'm going to invest 30K I'm going to bichth them out rahter than hiding....are you going to that in your profession and hide behind the counters and make drawings of your customers because you don't like them...grow up and speak your mind.....I did and boy that clifford person got a taste full of his own rx from me....hehehhehehehehehehe

NOW for allya all that think this school is a fly by night...I say again....do your homework and investigate.......I did and found my evidence that this school is for me.

I have the grades and will consider hawaii my first choice.

To all that have posted positive views...my hats off you ya all. I think that we can pull together and graduate

To worse

pharmgurl2004 said:
I think you don't know what you are talking about. I just talked with the UH-Hilo people and they stated that they too have to go thru the same accreditation process just like HICP. HICP is only 3 yrs whereas UH-Hilo will require 4 yrs. Whether you are a private or pubic institution you have to go through accreditation no matter what.....

Again, there are no guarantees on their part-uh-hilo. Now, if they don't get accreditation..."no promise of such against a public debt that may not be possible to repay if things go wrong" (RXDOC05, 2004). What if UH-Hilo does not get accredited then what? No guarantees bud..... :smuggrin: :smuggrin: :smuggrin: :smuggrin:

Johnny! Tell the viewers at home what pharmgurl2004 has won!

Well, Dave she has won DUMBEST POSTER OF THE YEAR!!! Congrats!!!

stress.gif

pharmgurl2004 said:
You are missed informed

[sarcasm]Um..yeah, okay.[/sarcasm] By the way, it's "misinformed."

pharmgurl2004 said:
...call yourself bradah

Huh? :confused:

pharmgurl2004 said:
not run you mouth...I did...and got educated...

Obviously not.

pharmgurl2004 said:

:laugh:

pharmgurl2004 said:
there is so much salmander on this site

Funny, I've seen no salamanders on this site. I have, however, seen a lizard.

Bradah is a slang term used in Hawaii. It's brother, but with an accent. As in How ya doin, bradah?

As for the rest, maybe the verbal score on the PCAT should have more emphasis placed on it. That salamander thing just killed me.

pharmgurl2004 said:
Again, there are no guarantees on their part-uh-hilo. Now, if they don't get accreditation..."no promise of such against a public debt that may not be possible to repay if things go wrong" (RXDOC05, 2004).

My question is how do you go to the trouble of quoting someone and then quote them incorrectly? Rxdoc05 wrote private debt, not public.

FutureRxGal said:
[sarcasm]Um..yeah, okay.[/sarcasm]

Funny, I've seen no salamanders on this site. I have, however, seen a lizard.

How big was it? :love:

I really needed that spot to bang my head on, South. After reading those posts I felt completely stupified.

Even if bradah=brother, that sentance is nonsensical. I am willing to risk being sued for salmander by saying that.

Advice to the big bradahs at HICP who are listening in: next year obtain writing samples as a part of the interview process. :thumbup:

Hi everyone,
Does anyone has any update on student loan? I got accepted in June; therefore it is extremely difficult for me in applying for loan. I've called BankOne, they said that HICP is no longer participate with them, so is Bank Of America. I also tried TERI loan earlier this week, the application for Hawaii is closed.

If anyone who got accepted in the second round like me and have found a loan, please let me know.

Thanks

Does anybody know why the HICP's phone # has been changed? I was unable to get in touch with a live person with the new phone number. And has anybody actually been to the school and talked to the Dean in person?

Hi Thuynh,
What # did you try to contact Hawaii? I read your message and just called the school at 808-674-9996 and there were still people answering the phone. Hope this # help you.

After reading some of these outrageous posts, all I can say is this "I weep for the future."

hey everyone,

i'm new to this site and wanted to ask if anyone found anything new regarding the loan status. is the only way to pay for tuition is to take out a private loan. as for the school itself, what's the latest update. i contacted mr. park and he told me the website will be updated but i haven't seen anything.

by the way who is mr. park. i spoke to dr. monroe and dr. criswell a few months back and it seems like they are both gone.

Dr. Monroe is still there. I talked to him yesturday. Mr. Park is the director of operations at the school. and the school's website is currently getting updated, as i see changes being made everyday starting from last week.
as for tuition, some students will have to take out personal loans for this year. I was informed that we will be able to apply for federal government loans starting year two, assuming that everything (accrediation process) goes according to plan

Hi,

I'm new to the student doctor network... I am one of your future classmates at Hawaii College of Pharmacy and I was wondering if any of you still recently applied for education loan at educationone.org or teri.org? I went to educationone.org and I was redirected to Bank1one website (which is also somehow related to the teri.org website) and I guess we cannot apply online, since our school is not their list of accepted schools. I was wondering-do we have to contact them directly over the phone and apply for this loan-any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!! :idea: :idea:

gutenbier said:
I went to educationone.org and I was redirected to Bank1one website (which is also somehow related to the teri.org website) and I guess we cannot apply online, since our school is not their list of accepted schools. I was wondering-do we have to contact them directly over the phone and apply for this loan-any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!! :idea: :idea:
If you read into this thread, you'll notice that you cannot apply for ANY student loans if you're going to Hawaii. They are not approved with ANY lender. Hawaii suggests that your parents "give" you the money or "mortgage their house" to lend you ~$180,000. You should contact them ASAP for more information, if you're planning to attend HICP.

jdpharmd? said:
If you read into this thread, you'll notice that you cannot apply for ANY student loans if you're going to Hawaii. They are not approved with ANY lender. Hawaii suggests that your parents "give" you the money or "mortgage their house" to lend you ~$180,000. You should contact them ASAP for more information, if you're planning to attend HICP.
are you salamandering again? How dare you spread the truth!

jdpharmd? said:
Hawaii suggests that your parents "give" you the money or "mortgage their house" to lend you ~$180,000. You should contact them ASAP for more information, if you're planning to attend HICP.
Hi jdpharmd,
Your post seems not nice. Who said...."to lend you ~$180,000"? Which pharmacy school will you attend next fall, may I ask? Wish you going to the best pharmacy school that made you are proud of. Anyway, thank for your time to post it. :laugh:

For those of you who applied prior to June 20, 2004 and received a student loan for school through educationone.org.... You guys are very fortunate. Bankone gave these loans because they believed that HICP was an accredited school. For the rest of us... I guess we will need to alternative measures to fund our education. I contacted Citibank and they have a program that will lend to anyone (who is credit worthy), I believe $20-25K. However, the interest rate is sort of high and you need to begin repay that loan immediately up to 60 monthl installments, which can be a headache. Personally, I am very frustrated with our current predictament. My parents may have to shell their retirement savings to fund my education. If anyone else wants to share their personal feelings on this matter or have any suggestions to solve our current predictament, please go ahead. :idea: :idea:

gutenbier said:
My parents may have to shell their retirement savings to fund my education.

Your parents are very generous. I would have them read this entire thread or fully inform them of HICP's actions before they make that decision though.

BlueSkyCA said:
Hi jdpharmd,
Wish you going to the best pharmacy school that made you are proud of. Anyway, thank for your time to post it. :laugh:

WHATTTT????????

perhaps we should create a fight thread!

gutenbier said:
For those of you who applied prior to June 20, 2004 and received a student loan for school through educationone.org.... You guys are very fortunate. Bankone gave these loans because they believed that HICP was an accredited school. For the rest of us... I guess we will need to alternative measures to fund our education. I contacted Citibank and they have a program that will lend to anyone (who is credit worthy), I believe $20-25K. However, the interest rate is sort of high and you need to begin repay that loan immediately up to 60 monthl installments, which can be a headache. Personally, I am very frustrated with our current predictament. My parents may have to shell their retirement savings to fund my education. If anyone else wants to share their personal feelings on this matter or have any suggestions to solve our current predictament, please go ahead. :idea: :idea:

Personally, I would NEVER allow my parents to deplete their retirement savings to fund my education at a school that is not yet accredited and is going through the funding problems HICP is. My suggestion would be to reapply next year if you can't find a way to come up with the money to pay for tuition and living expenses over the next year (if your only way to get money is your parents paying for it). Try and defer your enrollment to HICP until next year. Maybe by then they would have gotten their **** together and you will be able to get some form of financial aid. I can't possibly see them denying you a deferment since it is THEIR fault that you are unable to get any type of financial aid that doesn't require your parents giving up their savings or you selling your soul for money.
Just my .02. For any of you out there who want to whine and moan and cry about my OPINION feel free to do so. :D