Hawaii College of Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
vafcarrot said:
or, you could put...

1. You guys are stinky butts. Please invest in a day planner and maybe you could get things done in a timely manner.

2. My mommy and daddy say that I've already sucked enough money out of them for the first 20 years of my life and for some odd reason they won't give me their house too.

3. I get air sick when I fly and by the time I get to Hawaii by boat, school will already be over for the year.

This is an extremely disrespectful and rude post with no concern given to Hawaii College of Pharmacy students and the State of Hawaii. Please take some administrative action against this individual.

Members don't see this ad.

bananaface said:
So let's be positive then. What are the things that you liked about HICP that made you pick that school?

Bananaface,

I wrote something previously but I'll just post part of it for you ...

I also like that fact that this school is a 3year program. HI has a shortage of pharmacist and it?s a beautiful place to study and live. And hopefully some of the students who graduate will stay and practice there. I also like the fact the school is small and I get to know everyone personally. I will also like the individual attention that the school can offer. I?m looking forward to sharpening my skills and education. It is going to be great.

I'm going to HICP this fall and I'm proud of it.

you can read this in full...
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=1671906&postcount=238

Ucrsandstorm - The school is planning to have an entering class of 160 students in the fall, which is much more than most pharmacy schools. This high number of students is rare especially for a new pharmacy school. I really think the HICP administer is motivated by greed. There is even talks of having an entering class in spring as well. If this does happen, then HICP will become one of the largest if not the largest pharmacy school in the United States. I know as of today, they are still interviewing students for their fall entering class. I still don't know how they are planning to fit that many students inside a bank. I expect they will use distant learning if there is not enough room and maybe that is why they are requiring students to buy a laptop.

I agree with you that Hawaii is beautiful but the living cost is extremely high and I doubt if you will have the time to really enjoy Hawaii. I also agree with you that there is a stortage of pharmacists in Hawaii but that is also true everywhere else.

I am not putting down any HICP students but I disagree with your post. My beef is not with the HICP students because I understand that they want to follow their ambition but I do have a problem with the administers and how they have conducted their business of deception and greed.

Members don't see this ad :)
BMBiology said:
there is a storage of pharmacists in Hawaii.

So, that's where they're hiding? Damn, should of looked there first. :) :laugh:

ucrsandstorm said:
Bananaface,
HI has a shortage of pharmacist and it?s a beautiful place to study and live. And hopefully some of the students who graduate will stay and practice there.

I'm going to HICP this fall and I'm proud of it.

you can read this in full...
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=1671906&postcount=238
Hawaii is actually one of the few states without a pharmacist shortage. I asked about working in Hawaii at a recent job fair. Their response was that the company was currently not hiring pharmacists for any Hawaii positions.

"Using a scale of 1-5 with one representing a large shortage and five a large oversupply, survey respondents give each of the 50 states plus the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico a shortage ranking. For example, Maine received a 1.27, which means the state has a large shortage while Hawaii received a score of 3.27 signifying it has just the right amount of pharmacists. "

Source : NACDS news release, July, 2003.

"The National Association of Chain Drug Stores (NACDS), through surveys at six-month intervals, has reported continually growing vacancies in community pharmacies since 1998. Drug Topics, a trade journal, has tracked the rise in pharmacist salaries across both the institutional and community settings, an indicator of increased demand. The Aggregate Demand Index, a monthly report of the difficulty in filling open positions across the U.S., found that, since 1999, the highest unmet demand for pharmacists was occurring in Minnesota, California, Wisconsin, Kentucky, Iowa and Texas. The same survey found that only in Hawaii and Rhode Island were supply and demand for pharmacists in balance."

Source : Pharmacist Workforce Challenges:
Exploring Today?s Manpower Shortage

Katherine K. Knapp, PhD, Professor and Director of the Center for Pharmacy Practice Research and Development College of Pharmacy, Western University of Health Sciences, Pomona, CA

Published by Cardinal Health 12.01

GravyRPH said:
So, that's where they're hiding? Damn, should of looked there first. :) :laugh:

:laugh: Thanks for pointing it out.

ucrsandstorm said:
This is an extremely disrespectful and rude post with no concern given to Hawaii College of Pharmacy students and the State of Hawaii. Please take some administrative action against this individual.

I am sorry if I offended you. I was joking and did not mean it to be offensive, just humorous. Again, I am sorry if I offended anyone.

I don't think what I wrote calls for 'administrative action'. I have not attacked anyone directly on this forum, nor have I been profane or obscene to anyone in anyway. I was just trying to bring a few smiles to the thread, but apparently it didn't go over well.

BMBiology, thanks for a sincere post....

I share your concerns along with many of my fellow classmates about the administration and they way they have conducted business. It seems a little "shady" at first but the information that is floating around are mostly rumors, speculation, or is just incorrect.

I visited HICP recently to investigate for myself what this school was all about. I spoke to the administration-Clifford and Auggie, the associate dean-Dr. Pang, who is from UCSF, the 2 assistant deans-Dr. Borja from USC and Dr. Hasan from I think U of Washington. The dean, Dr. Monroe, and Mrs.Criswell, was not working on that particular weekend.

The inaugural class is much smaller than everyone might think. Currently there are 50-60 students who will be attending HICP this fall because they have paid for their tuition. There were around 120 acceptances letters sent out and approx 1,200-1,400 people applied to the school. They are accepting more students now because their class is not full due to the loan situation and accreditation. Thus, rolling admission is going on and there are new students w/o information. A welcome package and info is being mailed out for students this week/next week depending on where you live.

The school was thinking about taking in another class for the spring. However, because of the loans and importance of obtaining candidate status and accreditation, they have chosen not to have a spring class and concentrate more on the class of 2007 and the ACPE. I will double check about the second spring class. As far as I know, the second class is suppose to be coming in the fall of 2005, class of 2008. Therefore, HICP will not be the largest pharmacy program in country.

Their administrative office is inside a 3 wing large secured 4-story building. The bank is in one wing. HICP admin is NOT INSIDE the bank but is on the 3rd floor in the second wing. Students will be attending classes inside classrooms across from the admin on the first floor in the third wing. The rooms are being wired for wireless connections and are not completely ready for students yet. There will also be a library and computer lab for students to use inside the same wing. Thus, the laptops are for classroom learning, not distant learning.

The cost of living in HI is expensive but it?s around the cost of living in SD and SF. I doubt I will enjoy the island very much, only on the weekends and on our short breaks. In the mean time I?ll be studying hard.

Thanks for the info jdpharm. I'll have to work in Minnesota, California, Wisconsin, Kentucky, Iowa or Texas after pharm school.

Ucrsandstorm - I don't know how you can already claim only 50 - 60 students will be attending HICP when the tuition due date is on Sept 1. It seems like they are desparately scrambling for students to attend HICP because they are still phone interviewing students for their fall class so I doubt that they have only sent out 120 acceptances. If they cannot find more students to attend HICP, then I would question if they have enough funding to even operate the school. But of course, they could have avoided all of these financial problems only if they had decided to apply for pre-candidate status, like all other pharmacy schools, before they started to enroll students. But instead, they decided to try to make a profit sooner than later and enrolled students. More troubling, they lied to prospective students when they stated on their website that they have already turned in their application for pre-candidate status. If I were one of those that put the 1000$ deposit and later learned the school had lied to me about its accreditation and now I cannot find private loans, I would demand my deposit back.

In case you do not know, the living cost in SF is one of the highest in the world. Things are more expensive in Hawaii because a lot of things are not produced in Hawaii and have to be shipped there.

Regardless if it is inside or share a building with a bank, the construction of their official facility has been delayed infinately. This does not only show the school is not ready to operate, but also indicates they lack the funding to start construction. They run this not like a professional school but like a business that relies on the tuition of their students to operate and more importantly, to make a profit.

ucrsandstorm said:
BMBiology, thanks for a sincere post....

...It seems a little "shady" at first but the information that is floating around are mostly rumors, speculation, or is just incorrect...

I visited HICP recently to investigate for myself what this school was all about. I spoke to the administration-Clifford and Auggie, the associate dean-Dr. Pang, who is from UCSF, the 2 assistant deans-Dr. Borja from USC and Dr. Hasan from I think U of Washington. The dean, Dr. Monroe, and Mrs.Criswell, was not working on that particular weekend.
Good post, usrs.

You mentioned quite a few deans. I was under the impression that their "dean" was "Dr. Nadhipuram Bhagavan Dean, Hawaii College of Pharmacy". Do any of those other people come from a college of pharmacy? I'm pretty sure that Bhagavan does not. How about the rest of the faculty? Do they have professors hired?

how about we drop this until school opens and see how it actually operates? we can debate more than.

BMBiology-HICP has 50-60 students and they have enough to continue with their operations. They are admitting students because some people have denied their acceptances thus the class isn't full. I highly doubt that when other schools send out acceptance letters that everyone who gets one actual attends. The deadline to pay tuition is Sept1 and at that point there will be an official number. As of now, things are fine. The more students mean the more funding. Also, I do believe most school is dependent on student tuitions and fees to pay for their operating cost. If they are private, most of the money comes from donors and students. If they are state school, the state assists or funds most of the schools expenses. Over the years, they students are picking up more of the tab.

I don't know or understand why they did skip pre-candidate status. At orientation they will give us more information about the school. Life isn't perfect and even skipping pre-candidate status does not disqualify the school from getting candidate status. If and when the school gets candidate status then a lot of the concerns for this school will put to rest.

The cost of living in SF is similar to the cost of living in Hawaii. Both expensive, but that?s just the way things are. I would love to live in HI for pennies? but let?s get real.

The constructing an official facility has been delayed but those are future plans. Currently they do have the facilities to run the school. They are behind but many large construction projects usually run behind. In the mean time the school and students can still achieve their goals, while that building is being built.

Yes, this school is fundamental a profit organization, private institution. They want to produce outstanding and highly qualified pharmacist by the most efficient use of time and money. And if they can do those things while making money then I see nothing wrong with that. Some public schools are so under funded that they can accept all the qualified students that apply. They don?t have the enough faculties and have large class sizes and so and so on. I'm giving the school a chance and we'll see what happens.

Members don't see this ad :)
jdpharmd? said:
Good post, usrs.

You mentioned quite a few deans. I was under the impression that their "dean" was "Dr. Nadhipuram Bhagavan Dean, Hawaii College of Pharmacy". Do any of those other people come from a college of pharmacy? I'm pretty sure that Bhagavan does not. How about the rest of the faculty? Do they have professors hired?

I don't have much info on the faculty but I'll tell you what I do know. Dr.Monroe has the most experience with a pharmacy programs. He help established the University of Southern Nevada pharmacy program. Most of the deans will be teaching students so the number of teaching professor might be small. The deans will be the professors. I remember taking course with one professor for the whole year teaching 500 students. I think they are still hiring so ... I will not know the exact number of faculty for the year. As of now there are 5+ people for 60 students, that?s a pretty good ratio. However this is all speculation and I don?t know how they are going to break down the teaching aspect of our program. I do know we will have to do group work. This is all tentative as they are finalizing the curriculum. Like I said, they are trying to concentrate on the accreditation process and the class of 2007. If you are going to compare schools then we should get the statistics from other new schools. What was the number of their faculty, students, and facilities during their accreditation process? This would be a more accurate comparison of programs.

vafcarrot said:
I am sorry if I offended you. I was joking and did not mean it to be offensive, just humorous. Again, I am sorry if I offended anyone.

I don't think what I wrote calls for 'administrative action'. I have not attacked anyone directly on this forum, nor have I been profane or obscene to anyone in anyway. I was just trying to bring a few smiles to the thread, but apparently it didn't go over well.

I encourage you to be more mature with your future postings. I understand NOW that you had good intentions but they weren't initially recieved that way. Thanks for apologizing and I hope we can continue a more useful dialogue.

kwakster928 said:
how about we drop this until school opens and see how it actually operates? we can debate more than.

I TOTALLY AGREE!!!

WildOrchids27 said:
Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum and new to this whole pharmacy process. I won't be applying to any Pharmacy schools anytime soon, but I wanted to know my options. I'm currently working on the pre-req's, but it's difficult to get all the classes I want in the same semester. I've heard about HICP from a few friends of mine who are in the process of applying to different Pharm school. I was wondering for those who already been accepted, is the class of 2007 going to be the first graduating class, is it hard to make it into HICP, and how good is the degree if the school is not fully accredited? Thank you! :)

you will find the answer once you read all 270 reply posts. have fun.

ucrsandstorm said:
I don't have much info on the faculty but I'll tell you what I do know. Dr.Monroe has the most experience with a pharmacy programs. He help established the University of Southern Nevada pharmacy program.

Just for the record (no commentary here), Mr. Monroe helped start the library at Nevada College of Pharmacy. He has an M.S. in Library and Information Sciences from University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. He was our school librarian and helped a bit with information technology and did a small amount of teaching on how to do literature searches with pubmed and other search tools our school had at its disposal. He was not a professor of pharmaceutical sciences or pharmacy practice.

WildOrchids27 said:
Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum and new to this whole pharmacy process. I won't be applying to any Pharmacy schools anytime soon, but I wanted to know my options. I'm currently working on the pre-req's, but it's difficult to get all the classes I want in the same semester. I've heard about HICP from a few friends of mine who are in the process of applying to different Pharm school. I was wondering for those who already been accepted, is the class of 2007 going to be the first graduating class, is it hard to make it into HICP, and how good is the degree if the school is not fully accredited? Thank you! :)

The class of 2007 will be the first class. The requirements are pretty much like everywhere else. As the years go by, the requirements are rising. You?ll need to fulfill more pre-requisites later. I would say your chances to get into a new school/program is a little easier then a more prestigious school. About 1,200 people applied this year alone and about 120 were accepted. This was all done by word of mouth and the school did not do any advertising or marketing. However they are accepting more students to fill their class, by the end maybe 160-180acceptances. However, that doesn't mean that everyone who gets an acceptance will attend. I'm sure some have already chosen to attend other programs and have declined their acceptances. The final numbers will be available after Sept 1.

As far as accreditation goes, if/when the school gets candidate status then the first class can sit for the NAPLEX. If/when they get full accreditation then everything will be fine. If they do not then your degree would be worthless. However, there?s a misconception about the accreditation process. The accreditation is a process and everyone school that has applied for accreditation has been approved. That's the whole debate right now. Anyhow, good luck on your endeavors and maybe we'll see you in HI. Check out their website at www.hicp.org for more info. They are taking applications for the class of 2008.

ucrsandstorm said:
However, there?s a misconception about the accreditation process. The accreditation is a process and everyone school that has applied for accreditation has been approved. That's the whole debate right now.

I think this statement creates an illusion as to what the debate is about. The debate is about how HICP has gone about the accreditation process. No school in the somwhat recent history of ACPE has decided to just open a pharmacy school up with no accreditation. It is unheard of and, in my opinion, irresponsible. That is what the debate is about.

So here we sit. One side thinks HICP might not get accredited because they took the unprecedented path of admitting students before sending ACPE an application for accredidation. The other side thinks that HICP isn't likely to be denied accredidation because nobody has ever been denied before. The thing is that we are not debating an issue with merits. We are just arguing, thowing opinions around, and getting mad. Until we know ACPE's decision, this issue is not going to be resolved.

If you really want the heat to die down, ucrsandandstorm, you can't antagonize those on the other side of the argument. Telling a third party that the other side has misconceptions is like throwing gas on a fire you claim to want out. If you want the issue to drop, you have to drop it too.

HICP has just updated its accreditation status on its website but it still provides inaccurate information. This is an updated version of their accreditation, not old information!

The Hawaii College of Pharmacy has submitted an application for accreditation for its Doctor of Pharmacy program. This application will be considered by the ACPE Board of Directors during its June 24-27, 2004, meeting. Should the Board determine that the application adequately addresses the expectations set forth in the accreditation standards, it may authorize an on-site evaluation during fall 2004 for purposes of gathering additional information about the College and the program.....Thus, the evaluation team report emanating from the fall 2004 evaluation will be considered at the January 2005 meeting of the ACPE Board of Directors, at which time the Board would consider the awarding of candidate accreditation status

This is the emailed I have received from the ACPE today:

Based on the process of accreditation and the fact that ACPE has NOT received an application, we cannot say for certain what will happen with the College's accreditation. The College has no accreditation status at this point. They have delayed submission of their accreditation application until fall 2004 (October 1 deadline). Their application will be reviewed at the January 2005 Board of Directors meeting. A successful review of the application will result in the Board authorizing a visit to the College during the spring 2005 semester by an ACPE evaluation team. That team will prepare a report for consideration by the ACPE Board at its June 2005 meeting, at which time the College could be awarded candidate status if the situation warrants this status. If not, candidate status would be denied and no accreditation status would be awarded.

Please email the ACPE <[email protected]> directly regarding HICP accreditation. I have written to the ACPE and filed a formal complaint about HICP.

Since the meeting deadline is 3 months ahead of the meeting, they ought to have known for the past 4 months that they would not be considered at the June meeting. :rolleyes: The other posibility would be that they are oblivious to the deadlines ACPE has set forth. Either way, something is very wrong.

Isn't that section on accreditation newly added too? Was it inaccurate when it was posted?

It would have been nice if they had followed the timeline on their site, as it would have let next year's applicants know their status prior to completion of the application cycle.

bananaface said:
Isn't that section on accreditation newly added too? Was it inaccurate when it was posted?

The section on its accreditation status (the 2nd paragraph) was just added but the process of accreditation (the 1st paragraph) has been there for a while now.

ucrsandstorm said:
The class of 2007 will be the first class. The requirements are pretty much like everywhere else. As the years go by, the requirements are rising. You?ll need to fulfill more pre-requisites later. I would say your chances to get into a new school/program is a little easier then a more prestigious school. About 1,200 people applied this year alone and about 120 were accepted. This was all done by word of mouth and the school did not do any advertising or marketing. However they are accepting more students to fill their class, by the end maybe 160-180acceptances. However, that doesn't mean that everyone who gets an acceptance will attend. I'm sure some have already chosen to attend other programs and have declined their acceptances. The final numbers will be available after Sept 1.
Do you honestly believe this? HICP is worried about only having 50-60 students in their class because nobody has an extra $55,000 laying around! So, that means 50+ vacant spots. I'm sure they would dig pretty deep to find some additional "sources of income" (students). If they can't fill the class with 1,200 applications, then wouldn't that mean that they have accepted 1,200+ students?

BMBiology said:
The section on its accreditation status (the 2nd paragraph) was just added but the process of accreditation (the 1st paragraph) has been there for a while now.

So this is what HICP added recently, even though they had already missed the deadline for consideration at the June meeting and still have yet to turn in their application?

"The Hawaii College of Pharmacy has submitted an application for accreditation for its Doctor of Pharmacy program. This application will be considered by the ACPE Board of Directors during its June 24-27, 2004, meeting....Thus, the evaluation team report emanating from the fall 2004 evaluation will be considered at the January 2005 meeting of the ACPE Board of Directors, at which time the Board would consider the awarding of candidate accreditation status."

jdpharmd? said:
Do you honestly believe this? HICP is worried about only having 50-60 students in their class because nobody has an extra $55,000 laying around! So, that means 50+ vacant spots. I'm sure they would dig pretty deep to find some additional "sources of income" (students). If they can't fill the class with 1,200 applications, then wouldn't that mean that they have accepted 1,200+ students?

Maybe it's a typo but I don't think HICP can accept 1,200 students. Did you mean 120+? In either case, I'm sure the class will be larger than 50-60 students, and I wouldn't be surprised if the class was 100+, and yes if you do the math, they would have to admit 120+... but like I said, we'll see the final numbers after Sept1.

bananaface said:
So this is what HICP added recently, even though they had already missed the deadline for consideration at the June meeting and still have yet to turn in their application?

"The Hawaii College of Pharmacy has submitted an application for accreditation for its Doctor of Pharmacy program. This application will be considered by the ACPE Board of Directors during its June 24-27, 2004, meeting....Thus, the evaluation team report emanating from the fall 2004 evaluation will be considered at the January 2005 meeting of the ACPE Board of Directors, at which time the Board would consider the awarding of candidate accreditation status."

I don't understand why they did that. It is misleading to post inaccurate information. I'll ask them to update their website with the correct information. I don't know who's in charge of that... but I'll find out for you guys.

bananaface said:

Yes. It is the same thing as last year when they stated on their website they have filed for pre-candidate accreditation with the ACPE but later it turned out to be a lie. Instead, they skipped the pre-candidate accreditation process and went straight to the accreditation process. As a result, their incoming students were left out in the rain and had to find funding on their own since banks do not approve school loans to students from an non-accreditated school.

bananaface said:
So here we sit. One side thinks HICP might not get accredited because they took the unprecedented path of admitting students before sending ACPE an application for accredidation. The other side thinks that HICP isn't likely to be denied accredidation because nobody has ever been denied before. The thing is that we are not debating an issue with merits. We are just arguing, thowing opinions around, and getting mad. Until we know ACPE's decision, this issue is not going to be resolved.

If you really want the heat to die down, ucrsandandstorm, you can't antagonize those on the other side of the argument. Telling a third party that the other side has misconceptions is like throwing gas on a fire you claim to want out. If you want the issue to drop, you have to drop it too.

I'm sorry, my intentions are not to antagonize they other side of the arguement. I actually like the concerns you guys bring up so we can get to the root of things. I'm am all for finding out the truth no matter what side I stand on.

ucrsandstorm said:
Maybe it's a typo but I don't think HICP can accept 1,200 students. Did you mean 120+? In either case, I'm sure the class will be larger than 50-60 students, and I wouldn't be surprised if the class was 100+, and yes if you do the math, they would have to admit 120+... but like I said, we'll see the final numbers after Sept1.

JDPharmD? used logic to make his arguement. If HICP cannot find enough students to fill its class then doesn't it mean everyone who applied to HICP was accepted?

BMBiology said:
HICP has just updated its accreditation status on its website but it still generates inaccurate information:

The Hawaii College of Pharmacy has submitted an application for accreditation for its Doctor of Pharmacy program. This application will be considered by the ACPE Board of Directors during its June 24-27, 2004, meeting. Should the Board determine that the application adequately addresses the expectations set forth in the accreditation standards, it may authorize an on-site evaluation during fall 2004 for purposes of gathering additional information about the College and the program.....Thus, the evaluation team report emanating from the fall 2004 evaluation will be considered at the January 2005 meeting of the ACPE Board of Directors, at which time the Board would consider the awarding of candidate accreditation status

This is the emailed I have received from the ACPE today:

Based on the process of accreditation and the fact that ACPE has NOT received an application, we cannot say for certain what will happen with the College's accreditation. The College has no accreditation status at this point. They have delayed submission of their accreditation application until fall 2004 (October 1 deadline). Their application will be reviewed at the January 2005 Board of Directors meeting. A successful review of the application will result in the Board authorizing a visit to the College during the spring 2005 semester by an ACPE evaluation team. That team will prepare a report for consideration by the ACPE Board at its June 2005 meeting, at which time the College could be awarded candidate status if the situation warrants this status. If not, candidate status would be denied and no accreditation status would be awarded.

Please email the ACPE <[email protected]> directly regarding HICP accreditation. I have written to the ACPE and filed a formal complaint about HICP.

I was told of the plans to delay the application when I visited the school several weeks ago. I asked them about the accreditation status and was told about the delay in the application. They wanted to spend more time preparing for the incoming class and their application. The plan was to go for candidate status, turning in the paper work in the fall. They would be considered at the ACPE meeting in Jan, then have a review team in the spring and hopefully obtain candidate status in the summer.

BMBiology said:
JDPharmD? used logic to make his arguement. If HICP cannot find enough students to fill its class then doesn't it mean everyone who applied to HICP was accepted?

No 1,200 can not be accepted.... that's crazy. They are going down the list of people who are waiting, starting at number #1 on the waiting list.

Ucrsandstorm - Lets say HICP has a capacity of 120 students, but its incoming class only has 50 students. However, 1200 prospective students initially expressed interest in going to HICP but later most decided to go to another pharmacy school, figured it was too expensive, or decided to wait for a year and apply to another pharmacy school. Doesn't that mean all 1200 prospective students were eventually offered admissions as HICP goes down its list to try to fill its class and everyone who wanted to go to HICP are allowed to? I think I have said enough regarding this.

helllo everybody
I am so glad i just found this forum.......
i have so many questins and doubts like all you fellows out there.....
so of course after reading all your posts, i am now even more befuddled than before...........
what the hell is going on with this school? how much shady **** are they pulling?
can you guys tell me how many of you are actually attending( have paid your deposits)?
so it is possible for 20 students to show up at he school and then they go ahead and cancel the program because they're not making enough money, and they get to keep our deposits on top of the $28K for the year........

ucrsandstorm said:
No 1,200 can not be accepted.... that's crazy. They are going down the list of people who are waiting, starting at number #1 on the waiting list.

what wait list
they are just randomly accepting people that call them up with any questions and interview them for 10 minutes and then theyre accepted....including people that have been rejected and dont met " their" requirements......
i feel like they are desperate for students.......
and no disrespect to the school or any students that are attending!!!!!
can you please tell me how you know so much about the administration?

why does it seem like you are the Public relations/ promoter for this school
you act like you has an answer to all the questions and concerns, and you defends the school every chance you gets!!!!!
the school still seems very shady to me!!!!!!

gutenbier said:
. I'm not sure how many of you went to go visit the campus and met Mr. Cliff Park - I did. In my honest opinion, I was not really impressed with this program. Their program seems very disorganized needing some direction. ?

can you please tell me alittle more about the school?
and also about mr. park?
how about mr. monroe?
he got on the phone with a friend of mine, and started yelling at him, saying he is a PhD and he didnt like being insulted when my friend asked him whether he was a PharnD!!!!!

once again no disrespect to mr.ucrsandstorm and his beloved school

borat said:

I try not to post in the thread as much as I can help it, and I'm well aware that tone and meaning cannot always be clearly understood when reading something, but to me, your claim to show no disrespect toward "Mr. ucrsandstorm and his beloved school" seems to me that you are being sarcastic and condescending. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Just as a general thing, why are we making multiple posts in a row? Let's please just make 1 big post and keep it clean. :)

borat, you are saying you mean no disrespect and then being disrespectful all in one breath. Please stop.

borat said:
what wait list
they are just randomly accepting people that call them up with any questions and interview them for 10 minutes and then theyre accepted....including people that have been rejected and dont met " their" requirements......

I know this to be true. Add this to the litany of untoward actions taken by HICP: Calling up students that they've sent rejection letters to and offering an "interview" and subsequent admission. It's almost like a phone solicitation, but instead of selling time-shares their giving you the "opportunity" to purchase a seat for a limited-time price of 30,000

Future HICP students, I would suggest you all band together and demand to be heard by the administration. Demand some input regarding administrative decisions. The school appears to be making decisions based primarily on finances. A unified student voice could promote the interest of students. At this point, I'm thinking a unified student voice would carry a lot of clout - money talks.

Microbus out

Check out the new construction at HICP....
HICPFlags.JPG

BMBiology said:
Ucrsandstorm - Lets say HICP has a capacity of 120 students, but its incoming class only has 50 students. However, 1200 prospective students initially expressed interest in going to HICP but later most decided to go to another pharmacy school, figured it was too expensive, or decided to wait for a year and apply to another pharmacy school. Doesn't that mean all 1200 prospective students were eventually offered admissions as HICP goes down its list to try to fill its class and everyone who wanted to go to HICP are allowed to? I think I have said enough regarding this.

BMBiology - Theoretically, that is how the admissions system works but I doubt 1,200+ prospective students would turn down their admissions. HICP has to make space for the 120 students that they have already accepted. When someone declines his or her admissions, the school goes and allows someone else in. The school will have to save spaces for the students who were admitted and left a deposit. So if 5 people declined then the school would have to find 5 people who are willing to attend. 50-60 was the number of students who paid their tuition by early summer. That is not the number of seats being held by a deposit. So no, not all 1200+ applicants were allowed acceptances.

borat said:
helllo everybody
I am so glad i just found this forum.......
i have so many questins and doubts like all you fellows out there.....
so of course after reading all your posts, i am now even more befuddled than before...........
what the hell is going on with this school? how much shady **** are they pulling?
can you guys tell me how many of you are actually attending( have paid your deposits)?
so it is possible for 20 students to show up at he school and then they go ahead and cancel the program because they're not making enough money, and they get to keep our deposits on top of the $28K for the year........

I can see that you are very concerned. Let me give you some information about the school and I?m assuming you we admitted since your asking these questions. The school is new and they have changed some of their plans for accreditation since accepting students. Most of the plan changes had to do the their application for candidate status and ACPE. The number of students who have paid their tuition by Jun was 50-60. I paid my tuition in July and I?m sure others are paying as we are waiting for the Sept 1 deadline. I don't have the official numbers but I believe around 120 have paid their deposit. The school is not canceling the program or closing. The school has enough money to continue and will be holding classes in the fall. In fact they are in the process of hiring more faculty. Feel free to PM or post if you have more concerns.

borat said:
can you please tell me alittle more about the school?
and also about mr. park?
how about mr. monroe?
he got on the phone with a friend of mine, and started yelling at him, saying he is a PhD and he didnt like being insulted when my friend asked him whether he was a PharnD!!!!!

mr.ucrsandstorm sounds nice ... but you can just call me ucrsandstorm. Tittles don't mean much to me. Mr. Park is a very nice guy. Did your friend get into the school as well? I think you did insult him when you asked if he was a PharmD. He is a business person handling the finance part of the school and is there to answer questions about the accreditation process. I think its disrespectful you for to start asking him if he had a PharmD. When you were an undergrad, did you go up to the financial aid lady/guy and asked if they had a PharmD, PhD, MD, DO, OD, ect. You should have been more mature enough to ask the proper questions. Like, what is that status of the accreditation process? Why have you delayed your application for candidate status? How many students have paid for tuition? Stuff like that would help but not ... Do you have a PharmD? Well, your school is shaddy... definitely does not help anyone. I hope you understand that you are going to be pharmacist and will be doing graduate work. Please remember that.

From my own experiences, I know Mr. Park is a very nice guy. He has always been very helpful to me but I suggest you should not rub people the wrong way. Mr. Monroe is very nice as well but I haven't heard much from him. Feel free to post or PM with more concerns.

ucrsandstorm said:
I can see that you are very concerned. Let me give you some information about the school and I?m assuming you we admitted since your asking these questions. The school is new and they have changed some of their plans for accreditation since accepting students. Most of the plan changes had to do the their application for candidate status and ACPE. The number of students who have paid their tuition by Jun was 50-60. I don't have the official numbers but I believe around 120 have paid their deposit. The school is not canceling the program or closing. The school has enough money to continue and will be holding classes in the fall. In fact they are in the process of hiring more faculty. Feel free to PM or post if you have more concerns.

i did not mean disrespect to you or anybody else here, and "I" did not disrespect mr. monroe....... im just trying tofind out the truth here
i dont want to pay all this money and show up to the school, and be turned away!!!!!
and how have all these people paid for their tuition already? i dont even have the 1000 for the sept 1st deadline
so how do you know all this information?

KauaiGirl13 said:
i have been looking online, and there are a lot of nice looking condos w/ pools for rent. most of them are 2 bedrooms, is there anyone out there that would like to share a 2 bedroom place in kapolei? i can go over in june and check them out personally. if interested, just let me know. mahalo.

hey.........
im just checking all the old messages..
were you able to find anything?
jhow much were these condos renting for?

hey guys
how many of you were able to get loan?
please let me know if anyone got loan .how and where
and how many send their deposit.i heard if we pay the tuition in full they will give us discount.I have a quation from the people who said they got loan from educationona.com what school did they choose on the application b/c there is no Hawaii College of Pharmacy.

borat said:
i did not mean disrespect to you or anybody else here, and "I" did not disrespect mr. monroe....... im just trying tofind out the truth here
i dont want to pay all this money and show up to the school, and be turned away!!!!!
and how have all these people paid for their tuition already? i dont even have the 1000 for the sept 1st deadline
so how do you know all this information?

HICP initially got Bankone, Teri, and Bank of America to give loans to students. However, many students waited to apply for the loans, and newer students didn't have a chance to apply like you. Some came from private funding, and the reason why I know all of this information is because I asked and visited the school and talked to the associate dean, and assistant deans. I did my research, the same your doing now. Feel free to ask more questions.

Also, if you can come up with the deposit/tuition and are going to attend. I'll look forward on meeting you in the fall. Good Luck.