Hawaii College of Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
BlueSkyCA said:
Hi jdpharmd,
Your post seems not nice. Who said...."to lend you ~$180,000"? Which pharmacy school will you attend next fall, may I ask? Wish you going to the best pharmacy school that made you are proud of. Anyway, thank for your time to post it. :laugh:
Figure out the cost of living in Hawaii and the cost of Tuition over a period of three years, then add it all together and post it here. If your number is UNDER $160,000, I will be very surprised. As far as pharmacy school, I'll graduate (PharmD) in less than two years. Thanks. Don't spend it all in one place. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

BlueSkyCA said:
Hi jdpharmd,
Your post seems not nice. Who said...."to lend you ~$180,000"? Which pharmacy school will you attend next fall, may I ask? Wish you going to the best pharmacy school that made you are proud of. Anyway, thank for your time to post it. :laugh:

I smell a lizard. And in the event that I'm incorrect, it'd be a good thing if your statements were logically thought out prior to posting (see above).

I've read many of the post in here and they are not very positive. In fact, I'm tired of the HICP bashing myself. No one said to take out $180,000 from your parents for your education. Most people don't do this unless your parents are well to do. Most people loan the money. Currently, HICP doesn't have EDUCATIONAL loans right now but you can take out PRIVATE ones. School is not cheap anymore.

There are two sides to this story. The worst that can happen is that you will need to get $180,000 from your own private source and if the school doesn't get candidate status then your degree is worthless. On the other hand, if the school does get candidate status then you will have access to EDUCATION loans, but your still going to have to pay it back. Either way, you're paying for school in one form or another. If all goes well, you would only have to come up with 30-45,000 your first year.

DO NOT MISS READ MY INTENTIONS. IT IS A CHOICE and as long as you know the facts then make an educated decision. Don?t let other people sway your thinking. If you want to wait then wait, if you want to go then go. Don't bash the school anymore and if you're going to say to something say something constructive. It is very disrespectful to the student who will be attending HICP this year.

HICP Class of 2007

Members don't see this ad :)
yes, ucrsandstorm. I absolutely agree with you.
By the way, FutureRxGal, I think you know what I want to say to jdpharmd. If you still don't understand, let think it again... :laugh:

BlueSkyCA said:
yes, ucrsandstorm. I absolutely agree with you.
By the way, FutureRxGal, I think you know what I want to say to jdpharmd. If you still don't understand, let think it again... :laugh:
I still don't get it. Try writing in a complete sentence.

Let think it, Caverject. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I think you are smart enough to get my point :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

ucrsandstorm said:
If all goes well, you would only have to come up with 30-45,000 your first year.

Only?? Eeeek.

BlueSkyCA said:
Let think it, Caverject. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I think you are smart enough to get my point :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I "let" think it....I still come up with nothin....pleez help me the understand this new englilsh.

P.S. No one has recently bashed HICP....GET OVER IT!!!!!!!!!!!

ucrsandstorm said:
I've read many of the post in here and they are not very positive.
Because the posts are the truth?
ucrsandstorm said:
In fact, I'm tired of the HICP bashing myself. No one said to take out $180,000 from your parents for your education.
I belive that HICP acutally SUGGESTED that students ask their parents "to take a 2nd mortgage on their house" to pay HICP.
ucrsandstorm said:
Currently, HICP doesn't have EDUCATIONAL loans right now but you can take out PRIVATE ones. School is not cheap anymore.
What do you plan to use for collateral? Nobody (except a student loan lender, which you can't use) will just "give" you 180 grand with nothing down. Perhaps a house would suffice?
ucrsandstorm said:
There are two sides to this story. The worst that can happen is that you will need to get $180,000 from your own private source and if the school doesn't get candidate status then your degree is worthless.
Yeah, $180,000 and 3 years of life wasted isn't that big of a deal. I was considering it myself... Oh wait, no I wasn't. :thumbup:

Caverject said:
Sorry, I don't speak ebonics like some do over in California. Please speak english
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: If so, ask your English teacher... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

jdpharmd? said:
Because the posts are the truth?

I belive that HICP acutally SUGGESTED that students ask their parents "to take a 2nd mortgage on their house" to pay HICP.

What do you plan to use for collateral? Nobody (except a student loan lender, which you can't use) will just "give" you 180 grand with nothing down. Perhaps a house would suffice?

Yeah, $180,000 and 3 years of life wasted isn't that big of a deal. I was considering it myself... Oh wait, no I wasn't. :thumbup:

Hi jdpharmd, I really don't like the way you said about HICP. How do you know the future? If students can get the student loan for the second year, what will you say? :laugh: As I said before, if you don't like this school, I wish you become a famous pharmacist from the best pharmacy school :laugh:Can you? I am waiting to see that "Dr. jdpharmd" graduate from the best school. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: By the way, can you let me know which school you are attending? :laugh:

20040218x.gif

What is it? I don't know, but it makes about as much sense as some of the posts in this thread.

Members don't see this ad :)
I cannot stop staring at that picture, LV :laugh: :laugh: Thanks I needed that.

Sometimes the truth hurts, doesn't it?

"Sometimes the truth hurts", and sometimes some people's act likes animal's. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I like your pix, LVPharm :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh:

did you know that the laughing smilely face is the new space saver of the future?

:laugh: :laugh: :

Just stick it anywhere and blank space disappears

It's also great when served with a side of insult (at least I think they're insults)

I love what you wrote, vafcarrot.

I think I have made my point. So those who choose to continue to criticize then so be it. To everyone else who has expressed his or her concerns, I truly appreciate your support and insight about HICP. THANK YOU. As a new pharmacy student I'm excited about the profession passionate about my work. I am willing to help people who need it as best as I can. I think those are the values of an outstanding pharmacist. I'm not going to sit here and "bash" anyone or his or her school because in the end, we are all colleagues.

If anyone from HICP needs help please feel free to (PM) personally message me or post something. I'm sure there are also others who are willing to help.

Aloha!

ucrsandstorm said:
I think I have made my point. So those who choose to continue to criticize then so be it. To everyone else who has expressed his or her concerns, I truly appreciate your support and insight about HICP.
I don't quite get "your point", but I'm happy that you're excited. At the same time, I'm a bit concerned by your candor. Just so everybody knows, this thread is still open. Go ahead and ask questions or reply. Even through urcs does have 10+ posts under his belt, he cannot close a 12+ page thread with one paragraph.

dontworry might have said it best:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=1664014#post1664014

:idea:

So what happens if you graduate from a non-accredited school? Are you still allowed to take the NAPLEX and get your license? If not, what do those students do?

Quite frankly, I think it is risky to even begin school somewhere that they have not yet even applied for accredation status. However, if you do decide to take the risk and accredation or at least candidacy has not been extablished at least by the end of your first or second year I would really take a look and weigh your risks, because if the school does not at least attain candidacy status you can't even sit for NAPLEX. I think that what disturbs me most about HICP is the fact that they have not made a point of telling their applicants the risks involved. In fact, some of their "creative financing" suggestions I think are ethically wrong without truly giving students an accurate picture of the risks. I could go on and on, but I won't!

ucrsandstorm said:
Like I said, I've made my point already.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=1661467&postcount=205

:smuggrin:

and if you liked that then maybe you should read my second post.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=1664810&postcount=223

Feel free to read it as many times as necessary.
Sorry, but I'm drawing a blank. Your point is, what? "Stop telling the truth."??

I don't understand why you think the truth is "Hawaii bashing". Nobody is stopping you from going there, but when somebody asks if they have to mail their loan forms (because nobody will accept HICP loans online, or anywhere else) I think it's only fair to tell them the correct answer. If you don't mind taking the gamble (both time and money), then good for you. It's not fair for you to assume that other potential HICP students are automatically willing to assume the same risk as you, particularly without all the facts. :thumbup:

HICP is simply misleading its students about its accreditation status and sometimes even straight out lie to their students. For example, for months its website stated that it has already turned in its application for pre-acceditation status to the ACPE which later turned out to be false. Even now, its website does not say anything about its current accreditation status nor does it explain the high risks of attending a non-accrediated pharmacy school but instead it just explains the accreditation process. I emailed the ACPE and asked about the risks. This is what I received:

1. You cannot receive federal loans and many bank loans
2. You would not be able to sit for the national pharmacy exam if the school remains unaccredited by the time you graduate.
3. You would not be able to state you graduated from an accredited school if the school remains unaccredited by the time you graduate.
4. You would have difficulties transferring credits from a non-accredited school.

I have also repeatedly emailed the dean for months to ask if he has any pharmacy related experience or has experience in setting up a pharmacy school. This is all I have received from him:

Thank you for your e-mail and sorry that you didn?t get e-mail response right away.

All of the arrangements for the starting HICP in this fall is progressing according to the plans. We do not anticipate any problems. For further information please contact Mr. Clifford Park at (808)674-9996.

Dr. Bhagavan.

Instead of responding to my inquiries, he brushed them off. Even though its accreditation has been delayed, its construction for their facility has been delayed, their dean still claims "arrangements for the starting HICP in this fall is progressing according to the plans" and its website, even with the recent updates, still states: "Construction for this exciting and innovative project is tentatively scheduled to begin early spring of 2004". I will continue to email him.

For years, the profession of pharmacy has been known to be the most trusted profession. I sincerely hope HICP does not dent that image.

ucrsandandstorm-

To me you are making two main points. One is that the accredidation process could go off without a hitch and everything could be okay. I genuinely hope that this is the case. I would really hate to see so many hopeful people get needlessly burned. But, you yourself have acknowledged that there are BIG risks that come with the decision to attend HICP. With the stakes so large and the act of admission students before applying for accredidation so unprecedented, incoming students have the right to be aware of those risks. What people here are doing over and over in this thread is answering questions that students have about HICP in a candid manner. Those asking the questions deserve no less than an open, honest answer. I do agree with you that each potential HICP student needs to make their own decision about whether or not the school is right for them. But, I also feel that each person needs to decide which comments are of value to them based on their source and content.

The other point that you raise is that you feel that this some comments on this thread insult all future HICP students. There have been a few cases in which individuals have become the focus of ridicule. If you read their comments, it is pretty obvious why this happened. And, we all know that these individuals are NOT representative of HICP's enetering class. If you feel that voicing concerns about some of the actions of HICP administration in itself is disrespectful to HICP students, I am probably not going to be able to convince you otherwise. All I can do is to restate that we are offering information and opinions out of genuine concern for potential incoming students. If we didn't care about you and your incoming classmates, we wouldn't bother to post on the subject.

I am currently offering chill pills to people who currently need them. You guys need to lighten up. It appears there is no resolution in sight regarding this matter, so will everybody just chill and not be so overly sensitive to other people's comments. Can we all just get along?

great, one less person i have to dispense to. i wish i carried 250k mg tablets like that! :eek:

I don't mean to flame or anything, but did anyone, who is going to HICP, applied there as a number 1 choice school?

Bananaface

Thank you, you summed up my points. At least someone understands. I doubt this issue will be resolved anytime soon and when it does, hopefully it will be for the better.

Pharmacy schools like UCSD and Loma Linda state their school accreditation status on their website:

"The curriculum has been developed in accordance with the standards and guidelines of the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE). ACPE is the professional accrediting body for pharmaceutical education within the United States....At the current time, LLU's School of Pharmacy has received Candidate status with ACPE"

http://www.llu.edu/llu/sps/about.html#accreditation

"The UCSD School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences Doctor of Pharmacy Program has been granted Candidate status by the American Council on Pharmaceutical Education."

http://www.pharmacy.ucsd.edu/admissions.shtml#Gen

But as of 7/23 this information is no where to be found on the HICP website.

I believe at this stage HICP is new. They don't have candidate status yet and that?s their goal. Like anything that?s new there will always be doubts about this program. However, if and when HICP does get candidate status then at that time I will feel like this issue will be resolved. I'm not going to compare HICP with other schools because they are about 1yr behind and are in the process of applying. 1yr does make a difference and it gives them time to get it right the first time. I don't think they are very concerned about what other people are thinking but more concerned with getting accredited.

As far as informing their students... I believe every student who has chosen to attend HICP knows the current status and is confident in the school. Those who are not are attending other schools or are delaying or reapplying again next year. Like I said, it?s a CHOICE. As for myself, I am fine with HICP. I'm not worried because HICP have addressed all of my concerns. In fact I'm paying my tuition this week, $28,000.

I also like that fact that this school is a 3year program. HI has a shortage of pharmacist and it?s a beautiful place to study and live. And hopefully some of the students who graduate will stay and practice there. I also like the fact the school is small and I get to know everyone personally. I will also like the individual attention that the school can offer. I?m looking forward to sharpening my skills and education. It is going to be great.

I'm going to HICP this fall and I'm proud of it. I have confidence in my abilities and choices. I hope that in the future I will meet many of you in the pharmacy field. I also have a great deal of respect for people who are concerned about others and don't put people down while voicing their concerns. I have lots of passion and sometimes anger but I respect many of you enough to not trash you about it constantly. Bringing up concerns about HICP is right but constantly trashing HICP isn?t.

ucrsandstorm said:
I believe at this stage HICP is new. They don't have candidate status yet and that?s their goal.

i sure do hope so. but keep us informed when school starts.

Good use of "I" statements!

I just wondering if I could take a poll of the people who got accepted to HICP and are going there this year and also those of you who went to visit the HICP campus? I, like every student who will be attending HICP, definitely has their concerns. I'm not sure how many of you went to go visit the campus and met Mr. Cliff Park - I did. In my honest opinion, I was not really impressed with this program. Their program seems very disorganized needing some direction. However, since this is the only school that accepted me to attend pharmacy school this year, I feel that my options are very limited right now. Has anyone received a pamphlet, course catalog or additional information regarding housing, shipping of their automobiles, etc...? I still haven't. With approximately a month left before our tuition needs to be paid in full, I'm very worried. Does anyone know if it is possible to defer our acceptance with the next entering class?

gutenbier said:
I just wondering if I could take a poll of the people who got accepted to HICP and are going there this year and also those of you who went to visit the HICP campus? I, like every student who will be attending HICP, definitely has their concerns. I'm not sure how many of you went to go visit the campus and met Mr. Cliff Park - I did. In my honest opinion, I was not really impressed with this program. Their program seems very disorganized needing some direction. However, since this is the only school that accepted me to attend pharmacy school this year, I feel that my options are very limited right now. Has anyone received a pamphlet, course catalog or additional information regarding housing, shipping of their automobiles, etc...? I still haven't. With approximately a month left before our tuition needs to be paid in full, I'm very worried. Does anyone know if it is possible to defer our acceptance with the next entering class?

I am still working on my loan still 50/50. If I can get a personal loan then I will go.

gutenbier said:

You need to visit the HICP website. It has info on the curriculum, housing and automobile shipping. Also, you should join the HICP user group at
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/hicp2004/
give Auggie your info and lots of your concerns and questions can be answered there. Feel free to PM anytime.

Mahalo
Tony M.

hiepster said:
I am still working on my loan still 50/50. If I can get a personal loan then I will go.

Good Luck Hiepster.

Vannie4uBaby said:
Yes you can defer your admission for next year, but i believe that you'll have to provide 3 reasons.

I dare you to write:
1) I have no money
2) The government will not lend me money
3) Banks will not lend me money

:laugh:

Just trying to bring a little levity!

bananaface said:
I dare you to write:
1) I have no money
2) The government will not lend me money
3) Banks will not lend me money

:laugh:

Just trying to bring a little levity!

laughing-smiley-006.gif

Thanks, I almost spat water on my laptop reading that!

or, you could put...

1. You guys are stinky butts. Please invest in a day planner and maybe you could get things done in a timely manner.

2. My mommy and daddy say that I've already sucked enough money out of them for the first 20 years of my life and for some odd reason they won't give me their house too.

3. I get air sick when I fly and by the time I get to Hawaii by boat, school will already be over for the year.

I wish you guys would seriously grow up!!!!!!!!!!

vafcarrot said:
or, you could put...

1. You guys are stinky butts. Please invest in a day planner and maybe you could get things done in a timely manner.

I don't think #1 would work because it involves childlike name calling. It would be much more professional to say "Your posterior region produces a pernicious and offensive odor." You should impress them with your words in your deferral letter. :laugh:

Come on hiprayer, we're just goofing off! Being silly makes life fun. :D

I know but if you were actually going to HICP you wouldnt think its all for fun. I am kinda tired of it! I know you guys are trying to help but sometimes i think its a little too much.

I think this has gone far enough. Please refrain yourself from making comments that do not add any value to this thread. You may not agree with HICP students and their choices, but please lets show them some respect.