Heading into post bac, what are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jukie13

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
My GPA is currently a 3.6. I have As in all the science classes I've taken so far and intend to keep that up in post bacc since it'll be the only thing I'll be focusing on and science usually comes easy to me if I put the work in. But I'm a little worried about a few things:

1) I have a few W's, which I can explain on the app, for a few different (real) reasons. Will this hurt me?

2) I have a lot of B's from early on in my college career, mainly in business before I switched to Psych

3) I'm not sure if my ECs will be strong enough:
250 hours volunteering for Hospice
50 hours volunteering with disabled children
250 hours volunteering with a crisis hotline
3 different research positions for about 15 hours a week each: one was a psych health lab for two semesters, one was a neuroscience psych lab for one semester, and one was with a doctor on imaging research for about 20 hours a week for a semester and a summer
A one summer program interning with a homeless shelter
A few different scholarships, awards, and honors societies
Tutoring, both volunteering and paid
Eboard of a few different health or volunteering related clubs on campus but nothing too crazy
Ran a one summer heroin crisis outreach program (mainly leadership but some volunteering)
Lots of random positions in my sorority that aren't very pertinent to medical school

I'm shooting for mid-tier MD schools like Umass and Tufts. Assuming I'm able to keep my grades up in post-bac, what would I need to improve on my ECs and what score should I be shooting for on the MCAT? Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

My GPA is currently a 3.6. I have As in all the science classes I've taken so far and intend to keep that up in post bacc since it'll be the only thing I'll be focusing on and science usually comes easy to me if I put the work in. But I'm a little worried about a few things:

1) I have a few W's, which I can explain on the app, for a few different (real) reasons. Will this hurt me?

2) I have a lot of B's from early on in my college career, mainly in business before I switched to Psych

3 different research positions for about 15 hours a week each: one was a psych health lab for two semesters, one was a neuroscience psych lab for one semester, and one was with a doctor on imaging research for about 20 hours a week for a semester and a summer
Eboard of a few different health or volunteering related clubs on campus but nothing too crazy
Ran a one summer heroin crisis outreach program (mainly leadership but some volunteering)
Lots of random positions in my sorority that aren't very pertinent to medical school

I'm shooting for mid-tier MD schools like Umass and Tufts. Assuming I'm able to keep my grades up in post-bac, what would I need to improve on my ECs and what score should I be shooting for on the MCAT? Thank you!!

So by heading into post bacc and "A's in science classes I've taken so far" you mean you're just finishing your prereqs like Orgo,Physics, etc asides from the handful that you have already taken at your home institution? Or are you starting all your Medical School prereqs from scratch?

If that's the case and you ace your remaining science prereqs (3.8-4.0 sGPA) with probably a final cGPA of ~3.7 you would have a high change of getting into mid tier MD schools with a 510 MCAT (~85th percentile), which is a reasonable score, higher is always better of course,

You already have a lot of extracurricular involvement. Maybe try to hold onto an extracurricular for a longer period of time (all the way up until you apply) rather than just one semester, so that it shows prolonged involvement with a project? Seems like your activities stop at 250 hours, 1 semester, etc before you go to the next one. That's about it otherwise your application is pretty solid.

Your ECs are great.

Come back when you have an MCAT score and we can better advise.