Help along my quest to the white coat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JJROD

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all. First post here. I am new to wanting to be a Doctor but not new to the medical field. I recently graduated with a BS degree in nuclear medicine technology (Board Certified) with a dual modality in CT imaging (taking boards soon). I have a 3.77 gpa, need to figure out my science. Taking o-chem 1 and 2 this year and have just started studying the biology section for the mcat. (plan to take it next summer or fall. definitely wont rush it). I am so new that I do not know how to chose a good school for me, realistically my chances of acceptance, where I should aim mcat score wise (highest possible, I know).
I have some shadowing experience with doctors, maybe 20 hours.
1300 hours of clinical in nuclear medicine
roughly a hundred + clinical hours in CT
working a full time job in CT at a level 1 trauma and stroke facility in Pittsburgh, PA
have around 60 or so hours of nonclinical volunteer work helping abused and neglected children.
Also, Capstone research in radiation expose levels in a restricted area.

I just want some advice. I have been noticing some awesome people on here giving the best advice they can and I figured I would take a shot asking. Please let me know what you guys think or what good schools may be for me. Thank you all.

Members don't see this ad.

Medical School Admission Requirements®

That site should have some helpful resources for you. Check out the checklists they have for ideas on what courses to take and what are factors to look for when researching potential schools (location, tuition cost, which residencies their grads match to, etc). People on sd.net usually recommend purchasing a subscription to the MSAR to figure out which schools are more likely to admit someone with their stats. You've got good stats though and assuming you do well on the MCAT I think you'll have many options open to you. And finish any missing pre-reqs.

The checklist for pre-med pre-reqs is just a general guideline though. Schools will vary on what they require, but generally consensus is something like 1 year gen chem w/lab, 1 year bio w/lab, 1 year ochem w/lab, 1 year physics w/lab, maybe a psych/soc class, some humanities or extra sciences here and there...

Also, at the top of that page, browse the "applying to med school" tab for a lot more info and resources on the application process, the MCAT, what to expect, etc. Good luck :)

Reactions: 1 user
Good luck :)
Thank you so much for the advice and web page! I will certainly check it all out. I was a bit worried about my shadowing and volunteer hours after reading of a few people on here having thousands in each category and stellar gpa and MCAT scores. I realize some might beef their stats a bit but some must be real. I have basically all pre-reqs done. I will need to look into if schools will accept my radiation physics and or astronomy (assuming it applies as physics) courses. I have physics 1 done but am hoping to skid with physics one but am open to taking 2 if needed. Thank you again for your reply! Have you been accepted?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Applicants and Matriculants Data - FACTS: Applicants, Matriculants, Enrollment, Graduates, MD/PhD, and Residency Applicants Data - Data and Analysis - AAMC

This might also be useful to see where the average matriculant with "x" quality ends up. You can also use this table as a guideline to see what the chances of acceptance are for an applicant with a certain GPA and a certain MCAT.

https://www.aamc.org/download/321508/data/factstablea23.pdf

You don't need thousands in each category lol, don't fret. A few hundred is absolutely plenty. As for me, I'm applying next cycle. Taking this time to study for the MCAT and hopefully score well early next year but we'll see :)

It is doable, just allow yourself the time to study well.
Just curious; would you see yourself working in the field of nuclear medicine ?
I did a rotation and I think it is an interesting field, just not sure about job openings...

I will need to look into if schools will accept my radiation physics and or astronomy (assuming it applies as physics) courses. I have physics 1 done but am hoping to skid with physics one but am open to taking 2 if needed.
You'll need to. The stuff in Phys 2 was important on my MCAT and also some aspects are important in med physiology (like electrical circuits, surprisingly). I highly, highly doubt a med school would accept astronomy in place of Phys 2, but it will likely count towards your sGPA on the application.

Just curious; would you see yourself working in the field of nuclear medicine ?
I did a rotation and I think it is an interesting field, just not sure about job openings...

I would love to work in that field even for a short time while making my attempt to med school. But like you said jobs are scarce unfortunately. It is super interesting and is the most complex imaging modality which is why I gained confidence after passing the boards.

You'll need to. The stuff in Phys 2 was important on my MCAT
I keep having people tell me their physics was very minimal on their tests. I am not closed to the idea of taking physics II but physics I was a challenge for me considering I took a calc based class without ever taking calc. Still got an A though. Worked my but OFF.

Hello all. First post here. I am new to wanting to be a Doctor but not new to the medical field. I recently graduated with a BS degree in nuclear medicine technology (Board Certified) with a dual modality in CT imaging (taking boards soon). I have a 3.77 gpa, need to figure out my science. Taking o-chem 1 and 2 this year and have just started studying the biology section for the mcat. (plan to take it next summer or fall. definitely wont rush it). I am so new that I do not know how to chose a good school for me, realistically my chances of acceptance, where I should aim mcat score wise (highest possible, I know).
I have some shadowing experience with doctors, maybe 20 hours.
1300 hours of clinical in nuclear medicine
roughly a hundred + clinical hours in CT
working a full time job in CT at a level 1 trauma and stroke facility in Pittsburgh, PA
have around 60 or so hours of nonclinical volunteer work helping abused and neglected children.
Also, Capstone research in radiation expose levels in a restricted area.

I just want some advice. I have been noticing some awesome people on here giving the best advice they can and I figured I would take a shot asking. Please let me know what you guys think or what good schools may be for me. Thank you all.

read this book:

Med School Rx: Getting In, Getting Through, and Getting On with Doctoring Original Edition
by Walter Hartwig
ISBN-13: 978-1607140627
ISBN-10: 1607140624

I keep having people tell me their physics was very minimal on their tests. I am not closed to the idea of taking physics II but physics I was a challenge for me considering I took a calc based class without ever taking calc. Still got an A though. Worked my but OFF.
Then take a trig based phys II? I've never taken calculus and did fine in phys II.

Perhaps the topics in Phys II vary by university/textbook that is used, but mine featured electricity, magnets, and some other really important concepts that were on my MCAT (I took the 2015 version).

read this book
ISBN-10: 1607140624
Woah! Goro! I saw you post on so many threads. You are practically a legend on here if you don't mind me saying. Thank you for the book reference. Ill have to check it out. Thanks again!

I've never taken calculus and did fine in phys II.

My physics professor was adamant I would need calc for physics II at the uni I went to. But you are totally right. Every institution is different on their criteria. For instance I haven't taken biochem yet, however I sort of have taken it. I had a biology professor who was more of a biochem teacher filling in a semester for a bio teacher and instead she whipped through bio and had us learn biochem, or at least major concepts, instead. I'm hoping that will succeed me when I study that section but will try to find a uni near me to take it at.

Last edited: