This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So if you're interested in psychopathology in your clinical work, you could go to a counseling psych program that has practicum placements in the types of settings that have more severe psychopathology. I was able to do that.

If you're interested in doing psychopathology research, I'd say that's going to be an advisor by advisor question. You might find a counseling psych advisor who studies multicultural factors related to psychopathology.
What's the overall benefit of a counseling program over a clinical phd or psyd? It has similar expectations right?

Members don't see this ad.

I currently don't have publications or presentations. If I did a senior thesis I'd have to present that in the end, and I suppose it could be published.
It may helpful to do this. Submit it for a national conference and try to publish it. I know a handful of people who get into grad school without years of research experience. There are also people with tons of experience who have to apply multiple times. It also depends on the programs and the caliber of applicants during your application year. There is no such thing as a perfect application and many people in PhD programs have various backgrounds and levels of experience. So I would take the advice of the experts but also do your research about programs of interest and their incoming student stats and see if you can reach out to current professors or students.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
It may helpful to do this. Submit it for a national conference and try to publish it. I know a handful of people who get into grad school without years of research experience. There is also people with tons of experience who have to apply multiple times. It also depends on the programs and the caliber of applicants during your application year. There is no such thing as a perfect application and many people in PhD programs have various backgrounds and levels of experience. So I would take the advice of the experts but also do your research about programs of interest and their incoming student stats and see if you can reach out to current professors or students.
Yeah I'm basically going to be looking at a whole bunch of programs (all different kinds) this winter break. Yeah I know sometimes people try for years, and that is scary for me (and initially part of what draws me away from it)

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I'm basically going to be looking at a whole bunch of programs (all different kinds) this winter break. Yeah I know sometimes people try for years, and that is scary for me (and initially part of what draws me away from it)
Good luck! Try not to think about all of the possible downfalls because there is no way to know the outcomes. Do the research, narrow your focus a little, and get some experience. As someone said above, you can plan for a PhD and if doesn’t work out or you change your mind, you will have more than enough experience to explore another option like social work.

What's the overall benefit of a counseling program over a clinical phd or psyd? It has similar expectations right?

Yes. Also leads to psychologist licensure. As a broad generalization, it places greater emphasis on development, multicultural factors, and career/vocational issues compared to clinical. They are more similar than different. Which one you choose may depend on program offerings and research areas.