Help finalizing Dental school list!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jalah

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Resident: California
Undergrad GPA: 3.9
DAT: 21 AA, 21 TS, 22 PAT

Here's my list:
  1. UoP
  2. UCLA
  3. USC
  4. UCSF
  5. WesternU
  6. Tufts
  7. University of Michigan
  8. Creighton
  9. NYU
  10. Roseman university
  11. Pittsburgh
  12. Columbia

still don’t know enough about these schools:
University of Colorado
Boston university
Touro
UPenn
Marquette
MUSC

Does anyone have advice on which schools to remove or switch out from my list?
I plan to apply to 12-15 schools.
Please share any opinions you have about the quality of any of these schools as well as the student life. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Resident: California
Undergrad GPA: 3.9
DAT: 21 AA, 21 TS, 22 PAT

Here's my list:
  1. UoP
  2. UCLA
  3. USC
  4. UCSF
  5. WesternU
  6. Tufts
  7. University of Michigan
  8. Creighton
  9. NYU
  10. Roseman university
  11. Pittsburgh
  12. Columbia

still don’t know enough about these schools:
University of Colorado
Boston university
Touro
UPenn
Marquette
MUSC

Does anyone have advice on which schools to remove or switch out from my list?
I plan to apply to 12-15 schools.
Please share any opinions you have about the quality of any of these schools as well as the student life. Thanks!

Your stats are great, so if your EC's are solid, you'll have some interviews. I wouldn't apply to more than twelve schools unless you think the application costs are really worth it.

I would switch NYU for Marquette (based on tuition costs) and not bother with applying to MUSC and Touro. MUSC doesn't take a lot of OOS students and Touro is a new program (which doesn't mean it's bad, but they may still be working out kinks in the curriculum). If you have any questions about Michigan, I start there in June, so I may be able to answer the basics.

Your stats are great, so if your EC's are solid, you'll have some interviews. I wouldn't apply to more than twelve schools unless you think the application costs are really worth it.

I would switch NYU for Marquette (based on tuition costs) and not bother with applying to MUSC and Touro. MUSC doesn't take a lot of OOS students and Touro is a new program (which doesn't mean it's bad, but they may still be working out kinks in the curriculum). If you have any questions about Michigan, I start there in June, so I may be able to answer the basics.

Thank you Fets, I appreciate you taking the time to reply! I was thinking about taking off MUSC too. Good point about Touro. I still don't know much about University of Michigan. Did you get the chance to talk to their students and see what their life is like?

Members don't see this ad :)
Your stats are great, there is no need to apply to that many schools. Narrow down the ones that you wouldnt want to attend. I would take out Touro for sure.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you Fets, I appreciate you taking the time to reply! I was thinking about taking off MUSC too. Good point about Touro. I still don't know much about University of Michigan. Did you get the chance to talk to their students and see what their life is like?

Yep - interview day was informative, and I've been in contact with a few students as well. If you have specific questions feel free to send a PM.

I'd be happy to answer any questions about the University of Colorado. I graduate from there in 2 weeks.
A few quick things about the school to give you some basics:
  • They are pretty OOS friendly (approx. 60/40) w/ pretty reasonable OOS tuition (although they don't give the option to become resident and pay in-state amounts). I, myself, am OOS.
  • Clinic starts relatively early (cleanings start fall of 2nd year w/ restorations and everything else eased in as early as spring of 2nd year).
  • About half your 4th year is spent in community health clinics across the state as a part of the ACTS program. You are able to see at least 10 if not more patients a day on these rotations (varying by location). This has been an AMAZING opportunity and I feel extremely confident and competent graduating and going straight into practice.
  • The whole climate and environment of the school is very laid back, but is still able to foster competitive students who want to specialize.
  • We have ortho, perio, a GPR, are starting an OS residency and are closely affiliated with a pediatrics program if you want extra experience in any of those fields.
  • Denver itself is a great place to live, although can be expensive.
Other than that, let me know what else you would like to know about. I'm honestly surprised not to see the University of Colorado on more people's lists. I've had a great experience here aside from a few difficulties. All schools have something like that tho.