Help for foreign graduate please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

#1gotfan

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am desperate for any help or information that can help me. I will try to make this story short. My girlfriend and the love of my life is a veterinarian from Brazil. She has been trying her hardest to get her American license and she's been trying to find jobs in Texas so she can stay around me. Unfortunately she's had trouble with finding a job and she's had issues with her school not being on the accepted list of universities. I would do anything in my power to help figure this out, unfortunately I know nothing about how this whole process works. I'm not sure if I came to the right place or if I'm posting in the right section, but I am trying everything to make this work. Any help would be appreciated, thank you for reading this.

Members don't see this ad.

hey, it's a lot of stuff...I'm going through a similar process (I'm going to school in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil) and if you want to talk about the steps, I'd be happy to call you on skype to go over it. Anyway, send me your contact info on skype if you're interested

Last edited:
Unfortunately she's had trouble with finding a job and she's had issues with her school not being on the accepted list of universities.

Since her school is not AMVA accredited, here's a link the the steps she will need to go to in order to be eligible to practice in the US: "Graduates of foreign schools not accredited by the AVMA are required to demonstrate that they have received an education equivalent to that of an AVMA-accredited school before they can take a licensing exam. The certificate offered by the Educational Commission for Foreign Veterinary Graduates (ECFVG) is accepted by all state veterinary regulatory boards and the federal government as meeting the educational prerequisite for licensure or certain types of employment, respectively." (https://www.avma.org/professionaldevelopment/education/foreign/pages/ecfvg-pp-toc.aspx)

It's a long process that can take several years, and she will need to be in the US to take the exams -- I've known vets who've spent over 5 years in the process of getting locally licensed -- most of that time is waiting for the tests because they're only held a few times a year, and they are crowded so sometimes and some places there's a wait list. In the interim she will not be able to practice medicine.