Help/Guidance for Non-Cookie Cutter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

deleted841515

N/A

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's see. Your GPAs are low for MD but probably okay for DO. Much will depend on the MCAT score. Your ECs are pretty weak. High school stuff doesn't count unless you continue the activity into college. You seem not to have any clinical experience or shadowing. You also don't seem to have much, if any, nonclinical volunteering that shows your altruistic side. Maybe your work with the LGBTQ community would cover that area but I'm not sure what you did. For sure I'd think it would cover the leadership issue. I love the project you developed for West Africa. That is really interesting.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

String upward trends are always a good thing, especially for your state schools. As candidate says now it's up to your MCAT.

Hi everybody,

First off, thank you to everybody who is giving me the time of day by providing a bit of insight for me. I am not sure where to go from where I stand but I am sure that I want to be a doctor. The question now is, how do I get there? I am open to MD and DO programs and would prefer a Florida state school. Does post bacc make sense for me? SMP? A few booster classes? Or should I try my luck by taking the MCAT and going for it? Here's my scoop:

Academics
Graduated '16 from top 10 liberal arts college with grade deflation policy. (No class average higher than B+, they send a letter to graduate schools notifying them of this.)
Major: Gender studies with a focus in Health Policy
Major GPA: 3.7
Cum GPA: 3.34
Science GPA: 3.29
-Major upward trend (4.0 senior year). I was at a women's college and unhappy until I came out as transgender and transitioned.
MCAT: Not taken yet, still need Biochem class
Recently completed Data Science Certificate

Research+ Extra Curricular
-In high school volunteered 200+ hours at hospital directly with patients (not sure if this counts)
-During a gap year mid college worked as lab tech for 7 months full-time with surgeons in top orthopedic cadaveric biomechanical engineering laboratory/ shadowed surgeries
-2 semesters biomechanical engineering research in college
-2.5 years doing research on correlations of education and health. From this research I founded a small non-profit that creates a lab-in-a-box using all local low cost materials to teach science in classrooms without running water or electricity in West Africa. I spent summer after graduation in West Africa teaching high school teachers and students how to use the lab and conducted data collection on the efficacy of the labs. Kits installed at 6 schools permanently for their science curriculum. Also lead a team of 7 students, won two awards for this project, and school sends one student to West Africa each summer to continue installments of the lab-in-a-box.

Professional
-Currently work at top large consulting firm as federal healthcare consultant supporting Veteran's Health.
-Won award as best new consultant
-Serve as first transgender liaison to the LGBTQ diversity board at the firm, supporting country wide diversity initiatives for community outreach, recruiting, and internal diversity support.

Thank you StudentDoctor community!

Shadowing is different than clinical experience. You need both. I guess I assumed your 7 months in a "top orthopedic cadaveric biomechanical engineering lab" was working with cadavers and not patients. What exactly where you doing during that time?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.