This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

atoothfairy

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I got into 2 masters programs and 1 post-bacc. I am having trouble choosing which one would be more beneficial in helping me get into dental school and also what program will stand out to dental schools while applying. What I hope to get out of the program is proving to dental schools that I can do well in science courses and handle the course load of dental school. I also hope to attend a program that will give me a better chance at receiving interviews/acceptances. I'm stuck mostly between BU and Upenn. I did read something in another forum how if you've fulfilled all the pre-reqs and have a low gpa then a masters would be better, but if you're career changing/have not done pre-reqs then a post-bacc is better... Im not sure what most dental schools say about that though if anyone has any insight on this please share!
I got into:
1) Midwestern (IL) - 9 month MA in Biomedical Sciences
2) Boston U - Oral Health Sciences Masters
3) Upenn - Specialized Studies post-bacc

I would appreciate any advice on these programs and which would be a better option!! and if you know more info about any of these programs please share! Thank you
Midwestern MABSBU OHSUpenn post-bacc
pros:
  • 83% get into dental school
  • guaranteed interview if you meet the gpa and dat requirement
  • 9 months its the shortest program (quarter system)
pros:
  • take classes with 1st year dental students
  • if you end up going to BU dental you do not have to retake the classes you took in the OHS program
  • 90% students get into dental schools
  • lots of resources to help you succeed
  • you get LOR
  • everyones pre-dental
  • masters degree granted
pros:
  • I can start classes in the summer might be better with applying this cycle?
  • its upenn!!!
  • cheapest option (~$32K)
  • closer to home
  • upenn will look good when applying to dental schools???
  • most of the courses in the program I have not taken
not sure if these are pros or cons but:
  • the program is mostly pre-medical students that get into medical school. only about 3-4 pre-dental
  • certificate program (no degree granted)
  • undergraduate level courses
cons: ~$45Kcons: EXPENSIVE
~$57K
cons:
  • more like a DIY program since some students are part-time or full-time.
  • no guarantee if I'll get into dental schools or not
  • my grades would factor into my undergrad gpa which wouldn't help bring it up as much since its low?? unless schools look at post-bacc grades separate?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Upenn is the cheapest option but its also a post-bacc and im not sure if a masters or post bacc would be preferred for dental schools.
Perhaps other posters can also chime in but I don't think a Masters is much preferred over a post bacc.

Main goal is just to raise your GPA.

Reactions: 1 user
postbacc will be included in undergrad gpa
masters will be graduate gpa
how long are all 3 programs and what is the cost?

Reactions: 1 users
postbacc will be included in undergrad gpa
masters will be graduate gpa
how long are all 3 programs and what is the cost?
midwestern is 9 months ($45k), BU is 12 months ($57k) (most students matriculate right into dental school after), upenn ($32k) is at your own pace so i'd be done by spring 2022.

Last edited:
You still have to retake classes you took in the OHS program because BU stopped that....

Hi everyone!
I got into 2 masters programs and 1 post-bacc. I am having trouble choosing which one would be more beneficial in helping me get into dental school and also what program will stand out to dental schools while applying. What I hope to get out of the program is proving to dental schools that I can do well in science courses and handle the course load of dental school. I also hope to attend a program that will give me a better chance at receiving interviews/acceptances. I'm stuck mostly between BU and Upenn. I did read something in another forum how if you've fulfilled all the pre-reqs and have a low gpa then a masters would be better, but if you're career changing/have not done pre-reqs then a post-bacc is better... Im not sure what most dental schools say about that though if anyone has any insight on this please share!
I got into:
1) Midwestern (IL) - 9 month MA in Biomedical Sciences
2) Boston U - Oral Health Sciences Masters
3) Upenn - Specialized Studies post-bacc

I would appreciate any advice on these programs and which would be a better option!! and if you know more info about any of these programs please share! Thank you
Midwestern MABSBU OHSUpenn post-bacc
pros:
  • 83% get into dental school
  • guaranteed interview if you meet the gpa and dat requirement
  • 9 months its the shortest program (quarter system)
pros:
  • take classes with 1st year dental students
  • if you end up going to BU dental you do not have to retake the classes you took in the OHS program
  • 90% students get into dental schools
  • lots of resources to help you succeed
  • you get LOR
  • everyones pre-dental
  • masters degree granted
pros:
  • I can start classes in the summer might be better with applying this cycle?
  • its upenn!!!
  • cheapest option (~$32K)
  • closer to home
  • upenn will look good when applying to dental schools???
  • most of the courses in the program I have not taken
not sure if these are pros or cons but:
  • the program is mostly pre-medical students that get into medical school. only about 3-4 pre-dental
  • certificate program (no degree granted)
  • undergraduate level courses
cons: ~$45Kcons: EXPENSIVE
~$57K
cons:
  • more like a DIY program since some students are part-time or full-time.
  • no guarantee if I'll get into dental schools or not
  • my grades would factor into my undergrad gpa which wouldn't help bring it up as much since its low?? unless schools look at post-bacc grades separate?
For Midwestern. Make sure you read the stats right. "83% of matriculants either GRADUTED or were accepted into a professional program". They combine the number of those who completed the program with those who were accepted into a professional program. The actual number they give is 63%, but that's for any graduate program, not just dentistry. Pharmacy, Optometry, Physical Therapy, Chiropractic, and Nursing which are less competitive than Dentistry are thrown into that stat. The program is decent but tough. If you decide on Midwestern, plan on doing nothing but studying for those 9 months, and no I am not exaggerating. Good luck with whatever program you choose.

Reactions: 1 user