Help me make a school list! MD/PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

annabanana96

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
JesOOoOOss christ the day has come where I make this post.

FIRST: Apologies if this is in the wrong area, PLEASE direct me to where this should be if I am in the wrong here.

Senior in a tiny college, middle eastern gal (aka white lol), first-gen, NJ resident!

Majors: Psych and Chem

Stats: 3.56 cGPA, 3.5 sGPA (upward trend, lower grades in lower level classes toward freshmen/sophmore year)

MCAT: 515

Fun facts: Honors College, Psi Chi, PKP research award

Research: a decent amount. ~2500-3000 hours, 95% of that in a cog neuro lab using EEG's for 3 years- I was the lab manager for 1.5 years (still am). I've done an honors thesis junior year, "defended it" and got great LORs from my committee/PI). Around 7 posters and presentations all together, one at an international conference and one at a national conference. The other 5% is a mix of doing a research seminar in another neurosci lab, and research for my school on mental health and SES. co-author of a paper currently under review (2nd).
I just added the chemistry major and am going to be in a biochemistry lab for a year, but that starts in the fall after I apply. I want to apply to cellular/molecular neuroscience programs when applying MD/PhD.

Clinical Volunteering: ~200 by time I apply, local hospital, working with nurses and patients, making sure they're comfy and feel safe and respected - really great experience interacting with a wide range of people. Have been there since Fall 2017.

Non-Clinical Volunteering: ~200, a mix of on-campus service and service in underserved communities - also chaired a service committee in my club, set up kids days where kids (homeless/underserved) could come and have fun/play games. Have been doing this since Spring 2018

Shadowing: ~100 hours, 60 in neuro, I'm going to be doing 40 with my PCP before I apply

Other activities: Writer for website bringing together ppl from my diaspora, I talk about being first gen in our community, LGBT+ rights, domestic violence, and girls in STEM; working with a few friends right now to start up a suicide awareness club at school, working on getting us trained in crisis intervention and setting up a campus wide hotline for students; II for a research seminar class in psych

I can't think of anything else I need to bring up atm, let me know if I'm missing something.
Just a PSA: I know and understand my stats are kinda low. I've heard those with similar stats getting into programs, the stress on being somewhat successful from what I've heard is choosing your schools wisely. I've talked to my PI and plan to reapply next cycle if this one is unsuccessful.

SO far:
  • New Jersey Medical School (NJMS) – MD/PhD
  • Robert Wood Johnson Medical School (RWJMS) – MD/PhD
  • University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine – MD/PhD
  • Albert Einstein College of Medicine – MD/PhD
  • Renaissance School of Medicine at Stony Brook University – MD/PhD
  • Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine – MD/PhD
  • Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University – MD/PhD
  • University of Connecticut School of Medicine– MD/PhD
  • Donald and Barbara Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell – MD/PhD
  • Albany Medical College – MD/PhD
  • Drexel University College of Medicine – MD/PhD
  • New York Medical College – MD/PhD
  • State University of New York Downstate Medical Center College of Medicine – MD/PhD
  • Boston University School of Medicine – MD/PhD
  • Tufts University School of Medicine – MD/PhD
  • University of Massachusetts Medical School – MD/PhD
  • Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University – MD/PhD
Advice? Things to take off? Things to add on?? am I just setting myself up for financial misery and no gratification? if it isn't obvious.. I'd like to stay around NJ/NYC

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You have a good list and should receive several interviews. I suggest adding these schools (which may or may not have PhD programs that interest you)
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Rochester
Seton Hall
Rowan Cooper
George Washington
NOVA MD
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Medical College Wisconsin
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin