Quantcast

HELP: Vet Tech & Pre-Vet

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tuesday2019

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
I'm currently a Sophomore Pre-Vet student that attends a private, four-year college with an extremely high tuition. I have been looking for ways to for school, make headway on some of my student loans, and support myself in the future. There is an online program through Penn Foster for Vet Tech that I have been considering. I have read multiple posts that talk about how it would not satisfy my vet school requirements but I still intend to stay enrolled in my college while taking the online classes in order to get my A.S. in Vet Tech. I have also read that it would look bad to admittance committees but I need a stable source of income but also the experience hours. Would it be worth it?

twelvetigers

stabby cat
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why are you trying to do a vet tech school if you want to be a veterinarian? Pick one and pursue it. You don't need to be a registered tech to work in a vet clinic.

If you want to make things easier on yourself, transfer to a cheaper school. Seriously. The less debt you get now, the easier it will be to deal with the inevitable debt of vet school later.

tuesday2019

Reaction score
Why are you trying to do a vet tech school if you want to be a veterinarian? Pick one and pursue it. You don't need to be a registered tech to work in a vet clinic.

If you want to make things easier on yourself, transfer to a cheaper school. Seriously. The less debt you get now, the easier it will be to deal with the inevitable debt of vet school later.

At this point, it would be a waste of my time to transfer to a different school. A lot of the classes I've already taken won't transfer over and I actually love my school a lot. I need an income that will help me afford an apartment and living expenses in the future. I honestly can't take the chance on whether or not there will be an available job for someone that has no experience, training or education so that's why I was wondering about the program in the first place. I want to do something I love, but I also want to be able to afford to eat Easy Mac.

Vannandy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
The advice twelvetigers has given is pretty much the same response you will receive from every other person here. Minimize your debt. You can work as an assistant or an unlicensed tech (experience dependent) and still get the experience you need for school.

This is the way I see things. Expensive undergrad is ~150k. Vet school is at least another 150k except interest on graduate school loans start accruing immediately. Are you thinking about pursuing a specialty? Because that's another 3-5 years of terrible pay, not enough to make a dent in undergrad+grad school loans. With income repayment programs, understand that at the end of it you could be faced with a massive tax bill. Would you be able to pay off such a large tax bill? Sit down and crunch those numbers. Really think about what is truly best for you, now and 30 years in the future. Good luck.