This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MeilaMo

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide what to do post-grad to fix my GPA (2.5 UGPA). The reason for such a drop was because of some family things going on throughout that have now resolved. I'm currently studying for the MCAT but haven't set a date yet to take it as I don't know whether it would benefit me to do a formal post-bacc or take classes on my own at a college.

Things I've thought about post-grad: Taking a research position, clinical position somewhere, post-bac, taking classes in an unstructured program.

Background:
B.S. Neuroscience (Going into senior year)
Vice President of Health Organization
ER Scribe
Laboratory Assistant (Lab TA Position)
And once I graduate I'll have one publication under my belt and some research.

Please save the you should drop pre-med speech. I understand that it's going to be an uphill battle but I'm not ready to give up yet.

Members don't see this ad.

The only thing you should be focused on right now is getting your GPAs to a respectable level (~3.0). Everything else (EC's, research, MCAT prep, etc) should be on the back-burner because they will not matter if your grades do not improve. Luckily, you still have an entire senior year to work with. You will need to basically get A's throughout your senior year and post-bacc until you are close to the 3.0 GPAs. A DIY post-bac is usually cheaper, if that is an issue, but just make sure to take upper-level science courses. Also, if you did poorly on the pre-reqs, it might be a good idea to retake them for the MCAT / to prove you can master the material. Honesty, you need to be realistic with yourself. What is going to change after years of B's / C's so that you start getting A's? You need to address this before you address the rest of your application. No amount of EC hours or MCAT score will make up for poor grades.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)