This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kaymellow

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I will be a non-traditional re-applicant. I graduated May 2015, applied this cycle however I have only received rejection letters thus far with no interviews. I am currently working as an Emergency Room Scribe. I am actively studying for the new MCAT, I am sure that my low MCAT score is what is hindering me.

What can I do in the mean time to gain clinical experience in the Chicago area?

P.S. I have experience working as a CNA and I would rather not do that again.

How many schools did you apply to? If a low MCAT is what you think the problem might be, do you think a retake would help after more preparation? Good luck!

Without more information, it is hard to pinpoint the issue with your current application.
GPA/MCAT? Which schools did you apply to? When did you complete your application?
ER scribe is considered clinical experience, so keep doing that.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't say this to be mean, only to be realistic.
If you scored 18/19 on the MCAT, it's 15-19th percentile on the MCAT. Even if you are an African American applicant, that means you have a 3.2% chance of being accepted combined with your GPA. source: https://www.aamc.org/download/321514/data/factstablea24-2.pdf

It is not the experience that is hurting you; it is definitely your MCAT. You need to figure out how to (drastically) improve the third time or it is time for plan B.
3.4GPA, MCAT 19 Application was verified June 10th

I agree with BluMist - being an ER scribe is plenty of clinical experience, and with your history of being a CNA as well I think you are maxed out on the benefit you will get from having lots of clinical experience. The time spent on that endeavor will be unlikely to boost your application more, and would be better spent on other endeavors. Trust me - from my discussion with adcoms, this can only bolster your application so much, and won't cover a large blemish in your record.

That being said, because you're asking for ideas, here are some that I tried when I was trying to get experience:

Reach out to doctors and NPs at local clinics and tell them you are applying to medical school, and that you'd like to shadow them. Volunteer at a Free Clinic - they are happy to have helping hands, and you can see a lot. I know there are impromptu weekly free clinics in Chicago associated with some of the larger homeless shelters. I've also had success reaching out to the AAFP for connections to doctors who would be willing to let you shadow. Stay away from asking academic institutions - they are stricter about HIPPA and won't let anyone not officially in training near a patient. All hospitals have a volunteer office that will let you get involved as well, although most of them do basic candy striping stuff.