This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medstudent1215

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I am in a financial bind. I have 7 more interviews scheduled so far and now have an acceptance to Alabama COM! I am trying to decide which (if any) interview's I should now turn down, but that is tough to do without ever even seeing the schools of who's interviews I would turn down. So I am asking for some advice and insight from those of you who are either familiar with ACOM or these other schools.

The interviews I have scheduled are from: Burrell COM, AT Still SOM-Arizona, University of Pikeville Kentucky SOM, Idaho COM, WesternU COMP-NW, Pacific Northwest University, and Arkansas COM

Does anyone have some advice about these schools? I know at ICOM, you cant get federal student loans which is a pretty big turn off. And it's a new school. Any of these others vastly better than ACOM? Any of these schools terrible in comparison to ACOM? etc....

Members don't see this ad.

You need to give us some factors that are turn offs for you regarding schools.

I would say at least cancel BCOM and ICOM due to loans

Reactions: 2 users
I would turn down BCOM AND ICOM immediately just because they don't offer federal loans. Private loans can be tricky sometimes. I would definitely try KentuckySOM, ATSU-SOMA, WesternU, PNWU, and ARCOM. ARCOM is still new, but they do offer federal loans, and based on my experience with them, they are a pretty good school in my book.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You need to give us some factors that are turn offs for you regarding schools.

I would say at least cancel BCOM and ICOM due to loans
Obvious things I'm looking for would be relatively lower tuition and cost of living in the area. I am looking into working in rural medicine, so rotations in rural areas would be nice. Ideally a school that offers board prep time, and doesn't have mandatory classes, but mandatory classes isnt a breaking point for me. Not to bee too picky, but an ultrasound program within the school would be nice for rural care, and I would love some close living to the campus so I could walk or ride a bike. That's pretty specific.

Also, my BCOM and SOMA interviews are only 1 day apart, so if I cancel BCOM I may as well cancel SOMA, which isnt something I really want to do. I'll likely end up going to the BCOM interview just because i'll be there anyways for SOMA

Obvious things I'm looking for would be relatively lower tuition and cost of living in the area. I am looking into working in rural medicine, so rotations in rural areas would be nice. Ideally a school that offers board prep time, and doesn't have mandatory classes, but mandatory classes isnt a breaking point for me. Not to bee too picky, but an ultrasound program within the school would be nice for rural care, and I would love some close living to the campus so I could walk or ride a bike. That's pretty specific.
Stick with the ARCOM interview then at least.

Something to consider, I am pretty sure BCOM is about to become elligible to accept student loans. I do not know the timeline, but that might put it back on the table for consideration.

Hey all,

I am in a financial bind. I have 7 more interviews scheduled so far and now have an acceptance to Alabama COM! I am trying to decide which (if any) interview's I should now turn down, but that is tough to do without ever even seeing the schools of who's interviews I would turn down. So I am asking for some advice and insight from those of you who are either familiar with ACOM or these other schools.

The interviews I have scheduled are from: Burrell COM, AT Still SOM-Arizona, University of Pikeville Kentucky SOM, Idaho COM, WesternU COMP-NW, Pacific Northwest University, and Arkansas COM

Does anyone have some advice about these schools? I know at ICOM, you cant get federal student loans which is a pretty big turn off. And it's a new school. Any of these others vastly better than ACOM? Any of these schools terrible in comparison to ACOM? etc....

I interviewed at Burrell and fully regret it. Their deposit policy is ridculous. They will notify you of an acceptance within a week and then demand $2,000. I would definitely skip that one. The other schools on your list I am less familiar with, but I think ACOM>>>BCOM

Reactions: 1 users
I interviewed at Burrell and fully regret it. Their deposit policy is ridculous. They will notify you of an acceptance within a week and then demand $2,000. I would definitely skip that one. The other schools on your list I am less familiar with, but I think ACOM>>>BCOM
Most Osteopathic Colleges will have a deposit between 1500 and 2500. And they follow the aacomas traffic guidelines:

Those accepted prior to November 15 will have until December 14.

Those accepted between November 15 and January 14 will have 30 days.

Those accepted between January 15 and May 14 will have 14 days.

Those accepted after May 15 may be asked for an immediate deposit.

After May 15 of the year of matriculation, each medical college may implement college-specific procedures for accepted students who hold one or more seats at other medical colleges.

So your experience may have been due to when you interviewed and when you got your acceptance.

Last edited:
ARCOM offers all of those except mandatory attendance for some classes, TBLs, and Labs. We just started with Ultrasound in our curriculum this year, and we're among the cheapest private medical schools in the country. Tuition and fees 45.5K, and probably not gonna increase for another decade or so.

Edit: https://www.usnews.com/education/be...22/10-least-expensive-private-medical-schools

Last edited:
Also, my BCOM and SOMA interviews are only 1 day apart, so if I cancel BCOM I may as well cancel SOMA, which isnt something I really want to do. I'll likely end up going to the BCOM interview just because i'll be there anyways for SOMA
SOMA and BCOM are not THAT close together. In fact, they are quite a drive away (I say that as a former AZ resident).
It is a very long and boring drive between the two.
So if you cancel BCOM, I wouldn't cancle SOMA unless you are already flying through Las Cruces.

Reactions: 1 users
Most Osteopathic Colleges will have a deposit between 1500 and 2500. And they follow the aacomas traffic guidelines:

After May 15 of the year of matriculation, each medical college may implement college-specific procedures for accepted students who hold one or more seats at other medical colleges.

So your experience may have been due to when you interviewed and when you got your acceptance.

A few schools also have deposits between $100 and $200 initially!

Exactly. Burrell does NOT follow those guidelines. Many other schools, like mine only required $250 by December then $500 another month or two later. That gave me time to fully explore my other options without dropping $2k in mid septemeber like BCOM wanted me to do.

Reactions: 2 users