HELP WITH ORGANIC CHEMISTRY TBR CHAPTER 1 QUESTION

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Rihannalover

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all, I started studying organic chemistry today using TBR and got 15 out of 25 questions wrong. Pretty bummed about it. Anywoo, While reviewing the exams I realized I wasn't reading some of the questions correctly or wasn't paying attention to resonance structure or just didn't know the stuff so I guessed(the IR stuff). My particular question is about Question 12( I tried uploading a picture but it said it was too large)

Can someone explain why the answer is option D and how do I know option A is incorrect. Thank you.
 
Here is the passage:
passage.jpg

Amides have resonance:
resonance.jpg

The hybrid would make all 6 atoms coplanar (option D). The nitrogen is sp2 hybridized in this case. This is an important concept for biochemistry and amides in biological systems. Option A would be correct if they asked what is the geometry as shown with no resonance or no atoms being partially/fully charged.

Good luck studying!