High GPA, low MCAT DO school advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

courtsport

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my highest MCAT is 500 (123 c/p, 124 bio, 125 cars, 128 psych/soc). I did not study much for it and I made a huge mistake retaking the MCAT 3 weeks after this before getting my 500 score back bc I thought I did terrible the first time and wouldn't be able to retake again before the end of last year's MD cycle, so I ended up getting a 497 the second time (123 c/p, 123 bio, 124 cars, 127 psych, soc I think). In interviews hopefully I can explain this since they were 3 weeks apart and school was in so I wasn't able to study, I just thought I did really bad the first time I took it. I had a 3.99 cumulative an science GPA. Took genetics, biochem, immunology, anatomy & physiology 1 & 2; was active in school community thru Honors college, 2 years of hospital volunteering, good involvement. Very wide range of shadowing experiences (physical therapy, optometrist, family medicine, cardiologist, internist, ED docs, etc.). 2 years of research and written thesis working with exercise and infant heart function. The MD school I interviewed at last year told me I was an excellent applicant and I only did not get in because of my MCAT. They said I really could not improve anywhere but my MCAT; I got into Duke and Georgetown for grad school and the MD school and pre-med advisors told me NOT to go because it wouldn't help my app having the high GPA and needing to just improve MCAT. I am wondering what DO schools I might have a chance at and how many I should apply to--I am at 9 now, so maybe 15? I am working on studying to retake again but not sure when I'll be able to retake. Any advice is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Do not apply this cycle. Take the time to study for the test right and apply next spring. A score above 505 will give you the chance at every DO school and 512+ will give you an outside shot at MD. Don't rush this, rushing the process has already landed you with two crappy MCAT scores.

Reactions: 4 users
You definitely have to kill your MCAT the next time you take it. You will not be able to "explain" a drop in MCAT score by telling them you only had 3 weeks to study and you were in classes. If you say this the only thing they will hear is "I have very poor judgement, and I have zero patience that causes me to not take the time to do things right".

Members don't see this ad :)
So my highest MCAT is 500 (123 c/p, 124 bio, 125 cars, 128 psych/soc). I did not study much for it and I made a huge mistake retaking the MCAT 3 weeks after this before getting my 500 score back bc I thought I did terrible the first time and wouldn't be able to retake again before the end of last year's MD cycle, so I ended up getting a 497 the second time (123 c/p, 123 bio, 124 cars, 127 psych, soc I think). In interviews hopefully I can explain this since they were 3 weeks apart and school was in so I wasn't able to study, I just thought I did really bad the first time I took it. I had a 3.99 cumulative an science GPA. Took genetics, biochem, immunology, anatomy & physiology 1 & 2; was active in school community thru Honors college, 2 years of hospital volunteering, good involvement. Very wide range of shadowing experiences (physical therapy, optometrist, family medicine, cardiologist, internist, ED docs, etc.). 2 years of research and written thesis working with exercise and infant heart function. The MD school I interviewed at last year told me I was an excellent applicant and I only did not get in because of my MCAT. They said I really could not improve anywhere but my MCAT; I got into Duke and Georgetown for grad school and the MD school and pre-med advisors told me NOT to go because it wouldn't help my app having the high GPA and needing to just improve MCAT. I am wondering what DO schools I might have a chance at and how many I should apply to--I am at 9 now, so maybe 15? I am working on studying to retake again but not sure when I'll be able to retake. Any advice is appreciated!
Apply broadly, especially targeting the newest schools. Skip the coastal Touros, KCU, PCOM, Western CCOM and AZCOM.

Reactions: 1 user
You could get into a DO school with your current stats if you apply broadly, OP...

But I'd skip this cycle, take a few months to study for the MCAT, and then aim for MD once you have a respectable score.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with Goro. If the MCAT has been problematic for you, reasons notwithstanding, you should apply as broadly as you can to average/lower MCAT score schools. Imagine not having to take it again!

I can't imagine it's common for MCAT scores to jump 10 points and even with 2 x 500ish results I'm not sure that would be enough for MD. Maybe someone else more qualified to talk about that can weigh in though.

I agree with Goro. If the MCAT has been problematic for you, reasons notwithstanding, you should apply as broadly as you can to average/lower MCAT score schools. Imagine not having to take it again!

I can't imagine it's common for MCAT scores to jump 10 points and even with 2 x 500ish results I'm not sure that would be enough for MD. Maybe someone else more qualified to talk about that can weigh in though.

Did you read OP's post? We're talking about someone who got almost straight As in undergrad science classes and who "did not study much" for the MCAT.

If OP were to seriously study for the MCAT, I'd expect a large score boost.

Reactions: 2 users
Nah, I just clicked randomly and punched my keyboard. The fact you could read what I wrote was nothing but a coincidence.

The AAMC data I've seen shows that 4% of retakers with a score near OP's were able to increase their overall score by 7 or more points. It's from the old scoring format but that hardly matters. If OP is confident this was just a fluke...twice...then I suppose they should aim to be in that 4% and go MD.

I can't imagine it's common for MCAT scores to jump 10 points and even with 2 x 500ish results

It's not, but for people who didn't adequately prepare it is definitely possible.

If OP were to seriously study for the MCAT, I'd expect a large score boost.

This, it sounds like they just coasted through it and then rushed to take it again.

Thanks for the replies everyone; I definitely rushed taking it the first time and second time. I did not have enough time to prepare and didn't take it seriously last year. I appreciate the honest advice/opinions.

I may still be trying to rush the process switching to DO so I really appreciate the insight.

Isn't the MCAT considered to be an aptitude test? Of course memorizing material, timing, and familiarity with the test format is important, but OP should have satisfied all these requirements. She has taken the test twice (should be familiar with the test the second time), and she has excelled in her undergraduate coursework (she knows her material). Maybe she can't improve that much more.

Of course, if you're gunning for M.D., you have to retake the test, but if D.O. is fine with you, your stats are already sufficient for some D.O. schools.

Isn't the MCAT considered to be an aptitude test? Of course memorizing material, timing, and familiarity with the test format is important, but OP should have satisfied all these requirements. She has taken the test twice (should be familiar with the test the second time), and she has excelled in her undergraduate coursework (she knows her material). Maybe she can't improve that much more.

Of course, if you're gunning for M.D., you have to retake the test, but if D.O. is fine with you, your stats are already sufficient for some D.O. schools.

I agree; I think I messed up taking a Kaplan class because I got the same score (500) before studying and after... I focused only on practicing timing and format, with maybe like 30 hours TOPS (I don't even think that much) content review. I was a crammer, so although I got straight A's in undergrad, I think I needed to review for much longer. I devoted like 5 weeks to kind of studying, and to me the Kaplan practice tests were completely different than the one AAMC practice test I took and the material I got on the actual MCAT. The MD school I interviewed at told me to just take 3-6 months and actually study.

If you decide to retake, recognize that schools can see each of your MCAT scores and many will average them. Some only take the most recent ones, so see if you can focus on those schools when you get to that step.

I respectfully disagree. OP has approached an important acceptance metric 2X without adequate preparation and/ or consideration. The fact that the scores trend downwards further solidifies this. This will not bode well for OP with any DO school and neglecting that fact is not only reckless but financially wasteful.

OP, you've been given good advice here. Take the MCAT as seriously as you think ADCOMs do especially considering that in the past they've conveyed to you that your lack of dedication kept you from an acceptance.

Study appropriately, score higher and you stand a better chance.