High school Physics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

giannamaria1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I am a high schooler currently and will be going into 12th grade next year. Currently my schedule is set as to take physics and Italian honors, but I'm thinking for switching those two out for anatomy. Is physics necessary to get into a college where I want to major in Pre-Vet? I really don't want to take it and I know for sure I'll do bad in it.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I am a high schooler currently and will be going into 12th grade next year. Currently my schedule is set as to take physics and Italian honors, but I'm thinking for switching those two out for anatomy. Is physics necessary to get into a college where I want to major in Pre-Vet? I really don't want to take it and I know for sure I'll do bad in it.
I mean, I wouldn't think so? I didn't take high school physics and it wasn't an issue, but this is highly dependent on the specific college(s) that you're interested in, I feel?

I will caution you that most, if not all, vet schools do require at least one semester of physics. So if vet school is the ultimate goal, you will almost certainly need to take a physics class (or two) in undergrad to qualify for admission to a DVM program. You can't just avoid the subject altogether even if you choose to not take it in high school.

Reactions: 3 users
You’ll need it in college for vet school, but it doesn’t matter if you take it in HS. It wasn’t even an option for my HS... nor was anatomy or french. Haha. Just know you’ll have to tackle it eventually.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took it in hs but I didn't learn a thing! I hated it. I just finished Physics I with something like a 99.9 average. You can do it without high school physics. It just depends on what college you are going to.

If you want to do a vet career, you will need to deal with physics. Since you assume you will have trouble with it, why don't you begin studying it on your own before you take the class? In this manner, you will be well prepared and well practiced.

I hope this helps encourage and motivate you.

I was a creative writing major. Don't overthink it - take what you want. Physics is fun and you'll need it regardless, and I also love anatomy. Keep the Italian while your brain is more plastic :p

I took it in hs but I didn't learn a thing! I hated it. I just finished Physics I with something like a 99.9 average. You can do it without high school physics. It just depends on what college you are going to.
Our physics class was a glorified study hall :laugh:

I had very limited electives/AP classes at my school, but looking back I honestly can't remember learning anything in any class. I also feel this way about first year vet school, though...