high sGPA but low cGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

XWing5000

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a 3.06 GPA. I Haven't taken any pre-reqs. I currently work in mental/behavioral health, providing in home therapy for children with autism. This job has given me the oppertunity to serve many families in low income communities. I have shadowed a pedictiran as well as a psychiatrist. I have decided to go for medicine. Would a strong sGPA be enough to recover from a low cGPA? I live in southern California (inland empire). Thank you.
 
I have a 3.06 GPA. I Haven't taken any pre-reqs. I currently work in mental/behavioral health, providing in home therapy for children with autism. This job has given me the oppertunity to serve many families in low income communities. I have shadowed a pedictiran as well as a psychiatrist. I have decided to go for medicine. Would a strong sGPA be enough to recover from a low cGPA? I live in southern California (inland empire). Thank you.

My stats for an early an acceptance and multiple DO interviews (after some grade replacement): 3.01 cGPA, 3.6 sGPA. I had a high MCAT, though, which may have balanced it out. All I can say is, if you get a high sGPA and a solid MCAT, you will get in without much difficulty.
 
My stats for an early an acceptance and multiple DO interviews (after some grade replacement): 3.01 cGPA, 3.6 sGPA. I had a high MCAT, though, which may have balanced it out. All I can say is, if you get a high sGPA and a solid MCAT, you will get in without much difficulty.
Do you mind sharing your MCAT?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
36. You don't need that high if you do well with your sGPA.
Dang, yeah that's awesome, great work!!

And to add on to that, I have a 3.1 cumulative and a 3.7 science with a 512 MCAT, applied to 14 School and got interview invites from 10 of them. So yes, a strong upward trend especially evidence by doing well in science classes in the strong MCAT and you should be good as long as your extracurriculars are in order
 
Dang, yeah that's awesome, great work!!

And to add on to that, I have a 3.1 cumulative and a 3.7 science with a 512 MCAT, applied to 14 School and got interview invites from 10 of them. So yes, a strong upward trend especially evidence by doing well in science classes in the strong MCAT and you should be good as long as your extracurriculars are in order

I agree, I think it is all about your sGPA and MCAT for DO schools.
 
Wow this is exactly my situation. 3.08 cGPA, 3.61 sGPA. Taking the MCAT in May but already getting high scores on my practice exams. Any chance you guys would be willing to share what schools you guys had II success with?
 
Last edited: