This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jcdo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I keep reading everywhere that what you do in high school doesnt really matter.... in a sense yes it doesnt because you can start fresh in college... however I cant wrap my head around the fact tht if someone struggled in high school... where easier things are taught how will they succeed in college... college is much harder
i myslef have a 3.74 gpa. ive always had honors classes. in tenth grade i struggled alot because my teachers were awful.. but i cant explain that to a college admissions officer.. it is what it is.

Members don't see this ad.

There are also a lot more resources to help you succeed in college, if you take advantage of them. That's the key - you have to use the available resources.

There are also a lot more resources to help you succeed in college, if you take advantage of them. That's the key - you have to use the available resources.
like what? im afraid im gonna go into college.. and no matter how hard i try ill do terrible in my science classes.. i mean ive read about it. people saying theyve put so much effort into just bio but everytime they got their test back it was an awful grade

Members don't see this ad :)
There are tutors, academic advisors, counselors. There is also an entire forum for high school students to express their concerns. Go there and post this same thread and find some support. Don't stress out about something that isn't even happening yet. Take it one day at a time.

My high school academic performance was atrocious. I am doing very well in college... You'll figure it out! Don't waste time worrying too much about it now. And DEFINITELY don't listen to other people when they tell you it's "impossible" to succeed in certain courses.

You'll kill it. Believe in yourself.

My high school academic performance was atrocious. I am doing very well in college... You'll figure it out! Don't waste time worrying too much about it now. And DEFINITELY don't listen to other people when they tell you it's "impossible" to succeed in certain courses.

You'll kill it. Believe in yourself.
thanks! are you going after a job in the healthcare field??

2.6 in high school

3.62 in college- bio major just graduated applying to med school now

You got it homes

Reactions: 1 users
I keep reading everywhere that what you do in high school doesnt really matter.... in a sense yes it doesnt because you can start fresh in college... however I cant wrap my head around the fact tht if someone struggled in high school... where easier things are taught how will they succeed in college... college is much harder
i myslef have a 3.74 gpa. ive always had honors classes. in tenth grade i struggled alot because my teachers were awful.. but i cant explain that to a college admissions officer.. it is what it is.

In my opinion college is only harder because you aren't coddled anymore. If you work hard you will be rewarded. If you don't work hard, a guidance counselor isn't going to pick you out of class and ask you if you're okay (speaking from personal experience in my HS). I personally did terrible in high school ~3.0 GPA on a 4 scale. I have a 3.8 in college, 3.9 BCPM. GPA in HS isn't really reflective of how well you'll do in college.

In my opinion college is only harder because you aren't coddled anymore. If you work hard you will be rewarded. If you don't work hard, a guidance counselor isn't going to pick you out of class and ask you if you're okay (speaking from personal experience in my HS). I personally did terrible in high school ~3.0 GPA on a 4 scale. I have a 3.8 in college, 3.9 BCPM. GPA in HS isn't really reflective of how well you'll do in college.

Have had one for quite awhile now! Getting ready to finish up my bachelors, take the MCAT, and apply MD/DO next cycle.

2.6 in high school

3.62 in college- bio major just graduated applying to med school now

You got it homes

thank you all of you for the kind replies. it means alot and it does give me hope.

Last edited:

Last edited:
Honestly, the first two years so critical in learning about yourself and how you learn versus learning material. This is gonna sound weird but learn how YOU learn. I had a 3.2 cGPa after my freshmen year and graduated with a 3.64. I got C's on my freshmen level exams and pulled B's in my science classes. By the time I left undergrad I had A-'s in Orgo, Physics, etc. Just learn about yourself when you get into college. It provides so much more depth to yourself as well and learning becomes so much easier when you learn how to retain material because the time spent studying is SO much more efficient.

edit - I had a 3.25 in HS. Didn't study a bit and focused mainly on football. If you would walk the halls of my highschool and tell my former teachers I am heading (hopefully) to medical school, they would probably drop dead. You can do it if you put in the time, I promise. It's so rewarding!
how did you study? or learn to study? what did you do when things werent going on well freshmen yr??

im still a senior so I was wondering if you could describe how classes are taken in college.. as in how many classes do u have a day and how many classes are taken the whole semester and how long a classes usually from a day to day basis

im still a senior so I was wondering if you could describe how classes are taken in college.. as in how many classes do u have a day and how many classes are taken the whole semester and how long a classes usually from a day to day basis

The answers to those questions all vary depending on what school you go to, what classes you take and how much workload you try to take on. Classes at my school usually last 1h20m and labs last 3+ hours. The classes per day vary depending on your schedule. This semester for example I have Wednesdays off but 4 classes on Thursday, 2/3 on Monday/Tuesday/Friday.

You're still a senior in high school. My advice is not to think about college too much. I was neurotic my freshman year and it caused me undue stress. Trust the process, trust yourself, and let everything fall into place. Don't let the thought of undergrad ruin your summer.

Honestly, the first two years so critical in learning about yourself and how you learn versus learning material. This is gonna sound weird but learn how YOU learn. I had a 3.2 cGPa after my freshmen year and graduated with a 3.64. I got C's on my freshmen level exams and pulled B's in my science classes. By the time I left undergrad I had A-'s in Orgo, Physics, etc. Just learn about yourself when you get into college. It provides so much more depth to yourself as well and learning becomes so much easier when you learn how to retain material because the time spent studying is SO much more efficient.

edit - I had a 3.25 in HS. Didn't study a bit and focused mainly on football. If you would walk the halls of my highschool and tell my former teachers I am heading (hopefully) to medical school, they would probably drop dead. You can do it if you put in the time, I promise. It's so rewarding!

I visited my high school the other day and when I told my teachers I was on track to go to medical school and they were absolutely shocked. Feelsgoodman.

I focused mainly on basketball. I miss high school sports and being able to wear my varsity jacket.

Reactions: 1 user

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Last edited:

Last edited: