Honest Question about Mt. Sinai Early Assurance Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

001mg

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
UPDATE: Thanks for everyone's help so far. I can't express my appreciation of how thorough and prompt people's replies have been.
I was able to obtain the match lists for Sinai, and it seems they do place decently into pretty much everything. There is definitely a heavy coastal bias to the lists, but I don't know if this is a matching issue or if instead people preferred to stay on the coasts. what do you guys thinkn?
Finances will be a problem: did some more sleuthing and apparently there is very little outside need-based scholarships available, and I'm not sure that Sinai FA is too generous, especially, as people mentioned, for people already committed to attend the school. Though I come from an upper-middle class family, my parents and I decided I would pay my med school tuition, so this most likely means substantial loans. To talk/potentially negotiate about FA, how should I approach the medical school admissions office? Should I just email/call them and ask them how much they are prepared to give me?

First time on SDN! It's been a great resource for me so far.

Recently, I was granted an immense honor: I was accepted into the Flexmed Program at the Icahn School of Medicine. For those unaware, it's essentially an early-assurance program into Icahn School of Medicine. I am extremely honored by my acceptance. I am currently a rising junior.

That said, at the risk of seeming selfish and ungrateful, I do have lingering questions about taking an acceptance at Sinai. Perhaps my biggest concern is that, while originally from the Northeast, I hope to eventually complete a large part of my training and probably live in the Midwest or South, specifically Texas. I am kind of tired of the Northeast and specifically the NYC tristate area where I grew up lol. Would going to Sinai hinder me from applying to more competitive residencies in this area?

A more general question: as of now, I am interested in surgery, specifically ortho, or IM. I know Sinai boasts one of the best IM matches in the nation, but I couldn't seem to find as much on surgery and ortho. Would any students from the area care to comment on how difficult/how much extra hoop jumping it would take to land competitive residencies from Sinai?

My alternative would be to forgo this early offer and continue working hard as a premed, which I am more than willing to do (I think I just naturally choose to push myself) and slowly try to work my way into another med school in another area. I know it is quite possible that I may not have the chance to get into a med school of similar caliber, but I definitely care more about location/specialties offered than just rank. A more general academic background of me: I am at a top 5 university with a near 4.0 in chemical engineering (expected to be around 3.9 prob around graduation due to difficult junior courses) and will probably do reasonably well on the MCAT. My ECs are quite weak, however, with probably more run-of-the-mill volunteering, shadowing, and research activities and nothing that truly pops out to the eye.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I have seen enough 3.9/4.0 get mediocre MCAT scores that I am not confident about your projected competitiveness should you decide the flexmed program is not the one. If I was in your shoe, I would not gamble a 40% of getting accepted elsewhere with an already given acceptance in NY of all places!

Reactions: 2 users
Going to Sinai will not hinder your ability to live in another state. It is well known for producing excellent doctors. I would not forfeit the Flexmed opportunity. As a med student, I would never willingly go through the admission process when I was accepted to an excellent school.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Granted above but hypms 3.9 less likely to get an inadequate mcat. Go with your gut. These programs probably accurately target students who are on a path to multiple medical school acceptances down the road. How you perform in ms will primarily determine your match potential. I wouldn't do New York if you want elsewhere. 4 years is a meaningful percentage of a lifetime.
And congratulations on your acceptance

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

From my understanding, private schools don't usually care too much where you end up practicing; state schools are the ones that you'd need to worry about staying in the area. I can't speak to their numbers as for matching into super competitive specialties, but I believe that if you work hard enough with the given resources you can easily match into one.

Additionally, perhaps it's a mis-type, but on their program requirements I'm reading: "Admitted students will be required to achieve a "B" in all required courses, will be expected to maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.5, and will not be permitted to take the MCAT."

If you choose this route, it's looking like you aren't required/allowed to take the MCAT as well. I'd definitely take their offer over going through the year-long application process to other schools.

Additionally, perhaps it's a mis-type, but on their program requirements I'm reading: "Admitted students will be required to achieve a "B" in all required courses, will be expected to maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.5, and will not be permitted to take the MCAT."

If you choose this route, it's looking like you aren't required/allowed to take the MCAT as well. I'd definitely take their offer over going through the year-long application process to other schools.
That's not a mistype, it's to prevent students from taking the MCAT "just to see" if they're competitive for other med schools, realizing they are, and deciding to leave. It locks people into the school, but it also definitely has an upside.

I'd stay in the program unless it's pretty bad financially and you'd like to take the risk of getting in somewhere with a less excellent rep, or applying twice, or even not getting in in order to get a better financial option. Sinai won't have quite the connections of the tippy-tops but you shouldn't have an issue getting into surgery in the south (maybe TX, but TX med schools with those connections are very competitive OOS anyway).

That's not a mistype, it's to prevent students from taking the MCAT "just to see" if they're competitive for other med schools, realizing they are, and deciding to leave. It locks people into the school, but it also definitely has an upside.
The real downside is that superlative students would have gotten into preferred schools with a scholarship.

Reactions: 1 users
^this is one of the major reasons I myself am glad I didn't enter into a 7 year program. I ended up getting into 8 medical schools and received substantial scholarship offers from 7 of them by going the traditional route. You're more than likely not getting any scholarship money as a flexmed matriculant, so just be prepared to pay for medical school in full.

That being said, there's not going to be an issue matching into the Midwest from Sinai. Just make sure to do away rotations when the time comes.

From my own research, Mt. Sinai offers scholarships specifically for Flexmed students.

From my own research, Mt. Sinai offers scholarships specifically for Flexmed students.
You apply for those in the winter of senior year. Scholarships are used to attract students who would matriculate somewhere else; Sinai has little reason to offer significant scholarships to students who have not taken the MCAT and have been planning since their junior year summer to attend the Icahn SOM.

I have seen enough 3.9/4.0 get mediocre MCAT scores that I am not confident about your projected competitiveness should you decide the flexmed program is not the one. If I was in your shoe, I would not gamble a 40% of getting accepted elsewhere with an already given acceptance in NY of all places!

I didn't know GOATs could talk

Also was this a program you applied to OP? Or did they offer it to you?

edit- never mind, you applied. Take some practice MCATs. If you're reasonably close to a good score then you could consider taking the MCAT if you really want out of this program

Last edited:
First time on SDN! It's been a great resource for me so far.

Recently, I was granted an immense honor: I was accepted into the Flexmed Program at the Icahn School of Medicine. For those unaware, it's essentially an early-assurance program into Icahn School of Medicine. I am extremely honored by my acceptance. I am currently a rising junior.

That said, at the risk of seeming selfish and ungrateful, I do have lingering questions about taking an acceptance at Sinai. Perhaps my biggest concern is that, while originally from the Northeast, I hope to eventually complete a large part of my training and probably live in the Midwest or South, specifically Texas. I am kind of tired of the Northeast and specifically the NYC tristate area where I grew up lol. Would going to Sinai hinder me from applying to more competitive residencies in this area?

A more general question: as of now, I am interested in surgery, specifically ortho, or IM. I know Sinai boasts one of the best IM matches in the nation, but I couldn't seem to find as much on surgery and ortho. Would any students from the area care to comment on how difficult/how much extra hoop jumping it would take to land competitive residencies from Sinai?

My alternative would be to forgo this early offer and continue working hard as a premed, which I am more than willing to do (I think I just naturally choose to push myself) and slowly try to work my way into another med school in another area. I know it is quite possible that I may not have the chance to get into a med school of similar caliber, but I definitely care more about location/specialties offered than just rank. A more general academic background of me: I am at a top 5 university with a near 4.0 in chemical engineering (expected to be around 3.9 prob around graduation due to difficult junior courses) and will probably do reasonably well on the MCAT. My ECs are quite weak, however, with probably more run-of-the-mill volunteering, shadowing, and research activities and nothing that truly pops out to the eye.

I don't really come on Pre-Allo too much but I would say take this and ******** run. Mt. Sinai is an extremely competitive medical school to receive training at and with it, all residencies from MGH to anything else you desire will not be ruled out. As for IM, the match typically focuses on USMLE Step 1&2, LORs, third year grades, and program you attend. You are being given a golden ticket and I say (as a medical student with worse pre-med stats than you who may be underestimating your potential to have success applying elsewhere) to absolutely take this opportunity to jump over all the hurdles and life stress of taking the MCAT and submitting an application. Accept the program and start doing clinical research right now and figure out ways to get some publications which will strengthen your application for Ortho and IM. Mt. Sinai is a premiere program and I would imagine that their program targets pre-meds likely to have acceptances to multiple high tier schools, but I would not waste this opportunity. The MCAT is not something I would take a gamble on. They're letting you skip it!

Members don't see this ad :)
"There are several merit scholarships currently available for FlexMed students. If you are seeking need-based financial aid, you must apply by filling out the FAFSA application the Need Access form and following the instructions that can be found on our Financial Aid website. This process takes place in the winter prior to matriculation."

There are plenty of students I know who have received scholarships from Flexmed.

"There are several merit scholarships currently available for FlexMed students. If you are seeking need-based financial aid, you must apply by filling out the FAFSA application the Need Access form and following the instructions that can be found on our Financial Aid website. This process takes place in the winter prior to matriculation."

There are plenty of students I know who have received scholarships from Flexmed.

The quoted statement from the site should be taken with a grain of salt. I'm sure you may know people that may have received scholarships, but I can almost guarantee they were negligible in amount. Sinai was very open on interview day (and long after interview day when talking with the financial aid guy with the ponytail 1 on 1) that they do not have much in terms of merit aid to give out. He made sure to emphasize that, multiple times.

I am very hard pressed to believe that they have some sort of magical hidden pot of gold that they decide to use on locked in flexmed students vs those in the traditional applicant route who hold other acceptances from other schools who have offered them scholarships.

All schools will say they have some merit aid to give out. But three 5000 dollar nonrenewable scholarships would meet that definition, and that would be close to nothing.

Just being realistic with OP. IMO though with Sinai's rep they're worth the price. Plus it's never wise to assume MCAT scores (although I do agree that in most circumstances someone with your stats will often perform well on the MCAT)

Reactions: 3 users
Once again, thanks for everyone's replies. You guys are great!

Probably a dumb question, but does studying for the MCAT prepare you to become a better medical student academically? Most of the older premeds/medical students I know answer with a resounding no, but I just wanted to ask your opinion on the matter.

@Backtothebasics8 I definitely feel that a Sinai-caliber school has a good chance of being the best school I receive an acceptance from during the regular admissions cycle. My main non-monetary concern is simply that I wouldn't feel as happy environmentally for the next four years (though I'm not sure it matters? Do medical students get a lot of time to really go off campus during their studies?), though the people in Sinai are super cool. I'm not a big fan of the city (having lived near it all my life). My original plan if not accepted to Flexmed was to take 1-2 gap years for either research or a masters in a state I would eventually hope to apply to their state medical school.

Should I approach the issue of FA to Sinai now and maybe working out a deal? @greysloan03 , if you don't mind, would you talk more about those merit scholarships?

Once again, thanks for everyone's replies. You guys are great!

Probably a dumb question, but does studying for the MCAT prepare you to become a better medical student academically? Most of the older premeds/medical students I know answer with a resounding no, but I just wanted to ask your opinion on the matter.

@Backtothebasics8 I definitely feel that a Sinai-caliber school has a good chance of being the best school I receive an acceptance from during the regular admissions cycle. My main non-monetary concern is simply that I wouldn't feel as happy environmentally for the next four years (though I'm not sure it matters? Do medical students get a lot of time to really go off campus during their studies?), though the people in Sinai are super cool. I'm not a big fan of the city (having lived near it all my life). My original plan if not accepted to Flexmed was to take 1-2 gap years for either research or a masters in a state I would eventually hope to apply to their state medical school.

Should I approach the issue of FA to Sinai now and maybe working out a deal? @greysloan03 , if you don't mind, would you talk more about those merit scholarships?

From my browsing I've seen Flexmed students receive merit scholarships for $20k per year through donors. I'm not sure how likely it is for an applicant to receive them nor how many are given but from what I've seen it is possible (I'm also a future applicant). Also keep in mind that Mt. Sinai is need-based for FA. If you have more questions please contact them!

If you are from an upper middle class family your chance for need based FA is low. May have to take out loans.

I'm surprised at the weak ECs comment, isn't FlexMed a pretty competitive program? With no MCAT scores involved, is a good GPA really enough to get someone without ECs admitted?

Anyways, my .02 pretty much reiterates a few things said above:

A 3.9+ in engineering at a top undergrad predicts doing very well on the MCAT.
A high GPA and MCAT predicts a lot of success in med admissions...assuming the EC boxes are checked.
Sinai is a great program that places people into all sorts of specialties all over the nation's major academic centers.
So, I wouldn't pass on FlexMed out of fear that you'll end up trapped in NYC forever. But I also wouldn't accept the spot just out of fear of failing to get in elsewhere by the traditional route. I might pass on it if finances were a big concern and I wanted to gun for scholarship money, or if I felt I needed to get out of NYC right now, or if I'd always wonder what-ifs about dream schools I didn't get to try for.

Reactions: 3 users
Lol, "trapped at NYC"

NYC is the hardest job market to place in the country. If a doc is working at NYC it speaks volume about how good the med school is

@elfe

I had a couple of cool things in high school and a high SAT score, which they also consider haha. Actually, my ECs became weaker through sophomore year, since spring semester was incredibly challenging personally and academically. While I ended up receiving really good grades thanks to an awesome finals performance, I had to drop/cut down on time and involvement my most important ECs...

@elfe

I had a couple of cool things in high school and a high SAT score, which they also consider haha. Actually, my ECs became weaker through sophomore year, since spring semester was incredibly challenging personally and academically. While I ended up receiving really good grades thanks to an awesome finals performance, I had to drop/cut down on time and involvement my most important ECs...
A common mistype, but it will not summon elfie. I'll just say "-_-" now so @efle doesn't have to when he gets here himself.

@elfe

Then I would probably take the FlexMed seat - getting into similar schools the traditional way would mean a huge amount of effort on your part and/or gap year to get all the expected ECs on there. It won't be hard to get out to the midwest or south for residency.

I believe this is no longer true