Hopkins Waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xtal

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings to everyone sweating it out on the waitlist.:)
Has anyone who interviewed on a late feb friday received a WL letter yet?
AND more importantly do they let us know where we stand on the WL? I thought I read somewhere that they send out WL rankings in april?

cheers!

Members don't see this ad.

Greetings to everyone sweating it out on the waitlist.:)
Has anyone who interviewed on a late feb friday received a WL letter yet?
AND more importantly do they let us know where we stand on the WL? I thought I read somewhere that they send out WL rankings in april?

cheers!

They just finished evaluating interviewees and sent the last few decisions earlier this week, so I'm guessing more information should be coming soon. If you've gotten no information so far, then the waitlist letter tells you whether you are on the list from which they take applicants. If you've already received that letter, you should get some additional correspondence within a week or two. Although Hopkins in previous years did inform applicants where they stood on the WL, they stopped doing that last year. I have no idea what their policy is this year, but I'm guessing it will be the same. Only time will tell.

Members don't see this ad :)
I called regarding when letters to applicants on the alternate list will be sent out. The women I talked to said, "We're currently working on those letters as we speak." Thus, they should be mailed soon (as in this week). I was initially a bit hesitant to call, but the lady I spoke with was friendly.

I called regarding when letters to applicants on the alternate list will be sent out. The women I talked to said, "We're currently working on those letters as we speak." Thus, they should be mailed soon (as in this week). I was initially a bit hesitant to call, but the lady I spoke with was friendly.

according to people at their front desk, i shouldve had the letter at week ago. i bet we receive it next week.

Anybody receive the letter that supposedly informs you of which "tier" you are on? When I called on Monday, the lady told me that the letter will tell us if we are in the top, middle, or bottem tier (no #ranking :( ) and that they were being mailed this week.

Anybody hear anything?

Hey fellow waiters:
I just called the Admissions Office and was told the letters telling us where on the list we are (roughly) went out the 24th (Tuesday).

She also told me I am in the "upper" part of the list, but that I would have to wait until I read my letter to know exactly what that means. Does anyone on here know? Did people on this part of the Alt. List tend to get in last year/how long did they have to wait to get news? Anyone have any hard numbers/percentages? I am slowly losing my composure here--how am I going to get through my 2 hr. afternoon meeting today when all I want in this world is to drive home at 90mph to see if that letter is there???

Hey fellow waiters:
I just called the Admissions Office and was told the letters telling us where on the list we are (roughly) went out the 24th (Tuesday).

She also told me I am in the "upper" part of the list, but that I would have to wait until I read my letter to know exactly what that means. Does anyone on here know? Did people on this part of the Alt. List tend to get in last year/how long did they have to wait to get news? Anyone have any hard numbers/percentages? I am slowly losing my composure here--how am I going to get through my 2 hr. afternoon meeting today when all I want in this world is to drive home at 90mph to see if that letter is there???

Boy, I want to call the admissions office...But, with my luck, I would be the applicant to get on the secretary's last nerve (I bet they are receiving a lot of calls this week). The funny thing is, I never expected to get into Hopkins, or even get an interview for that matter. So, if I get the call...WOW...but if I don't get the call this summer, I will get over it. Thinking ahead, I dread weeks of continued uncertainty more than the likelihood of a rejection. Who knows. This process hasn't turned out anything like I expected it to. (In some ways much better, and in other ways much worse) Good luck to those waiting! I hope you get the letter, and ultimately the call, you are waiting for.

Boy, I want to call the admissions office...But, with my luck, I would be the applicant to get on the secretary's last nerve (I bet they are receiving a lot of calls this week). The funny thing is, I never expected to get into Hopkins, or even get an interview for that matter. So, if I get the call...WOW...but if I don't get the call this summer, I will get over it. Thinking ahead, I dread weeks of continued uncertainty more than the likelihood of a rejection. Who knows. This process hasn't turned out anything like I expected it to. (In some ways much better, and in other ways much worse) Good luck to those waiting! I hope you get the letter, and ultimately the call, you are waiting for.

I'm not calling for the exact same reason, haha. Hopefully the mail lady shows me a present today.

I'm not calling for the exact same reason, haha. Hopefully the mail lady shows me a present today.

The mailman showed me no love today :( Seriously, I live in the Baltimore suburbs, how could the letter need >3 days to get to my house? Grrrrr.

Hope somebody here got their letter today

The mailman showed me no love today :( Seriously, I live in the Baltimore suburbs, how could the letter need >3 days to get to my house? Grrrrr.

Hope somebody here got their letter today

nothin in NC. at least you had the guts to call them (plus i thought you werent allowed to call for call-in hours on fridays?)

Members don't see this ad :)
nothin in NC. at least you had the guts to call them (plus i thought you werent allowed to call for call-in hours on fridays?)

Dude, anytime M-F 9-5, just call the general admissions number, and as soon as that recording starts, press "0" and you will be connected to a live person whom you can pester until they break down and give you a little morsel of information :) Or, maybe we can work out a good cop-bad cop routine, and alternate roles every week or so. The possibilities are endless (as is the amount of time we have to wait until the alternate list starts moving....)

Dude, anytime M-F 9-5, just call the general admissions number, and as soon as that recording starts, press "0" and you will be connected to a live person whom you can pester until they break down and give you a little morsel of information :) Or, maybe we can work out a good cop-bad cop routine, and alternate roles every week or so. The possibilities are endless (as is the amount of time we have to wait until the alternate list starts moving....)

i did that in the winter last year, and the lady barked at me for not calling in during "call in" hours for admissions questions. anyway, congrats on top o the tier, good luck. i hope im as lucky as you.

so where are you going to med school if you dont get into jhu?

I'm still very much up in the air, my fiancee is applying for jobs right now, we need to find a place that is willing to give her a good junior faculty job and accept me for med school--this is all exponentially more complicated with two people looking for very different types of spots. I loved Pitt, among other places, but so far no school that we are both wild about is wild about both of us. How about you?

I'm still very much up in the air, my fiancee is applying for jobs right now, we need to find a place that is willing to give her a good junior faculty job and accept me for med school--this is all exponentially more complicated with two people looking for very different types of spots. I loved Pitt, among other places, but so far no school that we are both wild about is wild about both of us. How about you?

probably duke. i like the grading system and the opportunities, though not too stoked about living in durham for another 4 years.

i also felt pitt was a fantastic school to be a member of. good luck making you decision.

probably duke. i like the grading system and the opportunities, though not too stoked about living in durham for another 4 years.

i also felt pitt was a fantastic school to be a member of. good luck making you decision.

Wow, Duke is a great place from everything I've heard--two years' worth of preclinical in just over one year is a little too hardcore for me though! Good luck w/ Hopkins

hows this for annoying: I'm getting all my hopkins correspondence via email, and I get an email from the admissions office saying "we emailed you a letter that includes an address update form, please let us know if you haven't received it"

and of course, I didn't recieve it in my email, or any of my spam inboxes. I've asked them to resend it to me. So more days of waiting to find out where I fall on this alternate list. grrr.

hows this for annoying: I'm getting all my hopkins correspondence via email, and I get an email from the admissions office saying "we emailed you a letter that includes an address update form, please let us know if you haven't received it"

and of course, I didn't recieve it in my email, or any of my spam inboxes. I've asked them to resend it to me. So more days of waiting to find out where I fall on this alternate list. grrr.

that sucks. if i receive nothing by tuesday im calling.

Hey fellow waiters:

I think you have a great chance of getting in, at least based on previous years' threads.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=271236&page=5&highlight=hopkins+waitlist

last years thread stated that hopkins didnt "tier rank." I guess they've changed their mind this year and reverted back to the old system.

I'm not sure if ''high waitlist'' equates to "acceptance" but i sure as hell hope im in that crowd.

Hey thanks for digging up that thread, that is helpful information. Wow a lot of folks last year were hearing well into June and even July, I hope that's not us this year. Good luck everybody

Hey fellow waiters:

Geesh! Obsessed much?:laugh: Seriously, how do you manage to always get the lowdown from the admissions office ladies? I called on friday and the woman was like "No I won't take your name and tell you which WL tier you are on! The letter's in the friggin' mail. so you just have to wait!" (except maybe she didn't actually say friggin'...)

BTW has anyone actually received their WL "tier ranking" by mail yet?

Geesh! Obsessed much?:laugh: Seriously, how do you manage to always get the lowdown from the admissions office ladies? I called on friday and the woman was like "No I won't take your name and tell you which WL tier you are on! The letter's in the friggin' mail. so you just have to wait!" (except maybe she didn't actually say friggin'...)

I'm with you, I can't believe she actually told him something. I hope that letter comes today.

I have an weird feeling that the letter won't tell us anything about position on the waitlist besides the fact that we are on the alternate list (high list) or the waitlist (rejection). It'll have forms like contact info over the summer etc as well. Thats is, of course, unless they changed things from last year.

Geesh! Obsessed much?:laugh:
Ouch! Umm, yes, just a bit...**Zeff cries a little**
Seriously, how do you manage to always get the lowdown from the admissions office ladies? I called on friday and the woman was like "No I won't take your name and tell you which WL tier you are on! The letter's in the friggin' mail. so you just have to wait!" (except maybe she didn't actually say friggin'...)
Well Janny, you have witnessed my charm in person, so you know how smooth I am
**Zeff clears throat, looks hurt, waits for Janny to stop laughing**

I don't know why I have been so lucky calling the Admissions office, both times were late on Friday afternoons, maybe I was catching folks in a good mood right before the weekend?

And in all seriousness, I know how lame and obsessive-compulsive I am about hearing back from Hopkins, but due to SO/family issues, I may not be able to attend med school next year anywhere outside Baltimore, so, for me, it might be Hopkins or else reapplication time.

Ouch! Umm, yes, just a bit...**Zeff cries a little**

Well Janny, you have witnessed my charm in person, so you know how smooth I am
**Zeff clears throat, looks hurt, waits for Janny to stop laughing**

I don't know why I have been so lucky calling the Admissions office, both times were late on Friday afternoons, maybe I was catching folks in a good mood right before the weekend?

And in all seriousness, I know how lame and obsessive-compulsive I am about hearing back from Hopkins, but due to SO/family issues, I may not be able to attend med school next year anywhere outside Baltimore, so, for me, it might be Hopkins or else reapplication time.

I am right there with you Zeff... Sweating it out on Hopkins' WL. It's my #1 choice too for personal and SO reasons. I think I might eat a "poop hotdog" if they would let me in, so I guess I am obsessed too...
:luck: TO all of us who LOVE Hopkins and want desperately to get a phone call in June.

:laugh: BTW: I agree, you are quite charming.

I am right there with you Zeff... Sweating it out on Hopkins' WL. It's my #1 choice too for personal and SO reasons. I think I might eat a "poop hotdog" if they would let me in, so I guess I am obsessed too...
:luck: TO all of us who LOVE Hopkins and want desperately to get a phone call in June.

:laugh: BTW: I agree, you are quite charming.

Just in case any Admissions Committee members are reading--
I think we should start a sort of "unconventional services" Craig's List for those of us willing to do anything to get in off the Hopkins Alternate List

For instance, I am willing to commit the following crimes to get in:
Money Laundering: just hand me the briefcase full of illegal cash and I am on the first plane to the Cayman Islands to get those puppies legitimate for you
Bank Robbery: now where did I leave my black ski mask....
Kidnapping/Ransom: I'm not there yet, but ask me again in July...:)

hey everyone,
i just received the waitlist letter in the mail today...the postmark on it was 4/27...the letter didn't give any info on my tier, so im a little confused by the previous posts where people found out their tier from the admissions office? has anyone received a letter that does indicate your tier? but anyways, the letter simply confirmed my place on the waitlist and included a form to return to indicate whether i wanted to stay on the list or not. hope this info helps!

hey everyone,
i just received the waitlist letter in the mail today...the postmark on it was 4/27...the letter didn't give any info on my tier, so im a little confused by the previous posts where people found out their tier from the admissions office? has anyone received a letter that does indicate your tier? but anyways, the letter simply confirmed my place on the waitlist and included a form to return to indicate whether i wanted to stay on the list or not. hope this info helps!

Sorry everyone for passing along bum information last week, I apologize for getting everyone's hopes up.

Thanks for the info bluegrey, I received my letter today too and it also does not have any additional information than "you are on the alternate list, please return this notification to tell us if you would like to remain, etc". I don't know how to square this letter with what I was told on the phone last week. Not good times

This is exactly like what happened last year. I think there is an "internal rank" of some sort, but they're sending everyone a generic letter to see who's interested in still remaining on the list. They don't seem to be fans of transparency.

This is exactly like what happened last year. I think there is an "internal rank" of some sort, but they're sending everyone a generic letter to see who's interested in still remaining on the list. They don't seem to be fans of transparency.

hopkins is not alone in doing this. most med schools strive to maximize interest in the waitlist by not giving out information that may dissuade applicants.

hopkins is not alone in doing this. most med schools strive to maximize interest in the waitlist by not giving out information that may dissuade applicants.

True, but I think that not giving any info at all also serves to dissuade applicants. For instance, someone on the higher side of the waitlist might withdraw b/c they simply do not want to wait indefinitely. Not to mention the fact that this is somewhat cruel for applicants at the bottom of the alternate list.

anyone else still waiting to receive the hopkins alternate list letter?

(i received the alternate list letter back in nov [i interviewed in oct], yet am still waiting to receive the verification letter that qualifies me to remain on the alternate list)

(i received the alternate list letter back in nov [i interviewed in oct], yet am still waiting to receive the verification letter that qualifies me to remain on the alternate list)

I have not gotten it yet.

I got it yesterday, but I live in Maryland

i just found out from a jhu med student that knows someone on the adcom that hopkins doesnt care if you send any additional info (like other schools that favor LOIs, supposedly). they've numerically scored all the applicants and they simply go down the list.

Alternate Listers-I don't know if anyone is still waiting for the update letter from Hopkins, but if you haven't received it yet, DEFINITELY follow up with the Admissions Office and find out where your letter is, because the letter includes a form to indicate that you are still interested in remaining on the Alternate List and it says it has to be received back by May 16, which is exactly two weeks from today. Don't want to see anyone lose their spot on the list due to a timing snafu!

(Evil thought intrudes....actually, don't worry about it, don't follow up with the Admissions Office until, oh, say July or so, no hurry...:))

edit: oh, and for what it's worth, I have heard the same thing as Spatulas re: sending in more information--the order of the list is evidently pretty much set in stone at this point

Alternate Listers-I don't know if anyone is still waiting for the update letter from Hopkins, but if you haven't received it yet, DEFINITELY follow up with the Admissions Office and find out where your letter is, because the letter includes a form to indicate that you are still interested in remaining on the Alternate List and it says it has to be received back by May 16, which is exactly two weeks from today. Don't want to see anyone lose their spot on the list due to a timing snafu!

(Evil thought intrudes....actually, don't worry about it, don't follow up with the Admissions Office until, oh, say July or so, no hurry...:))

edit: oh, and for what it's worth, I have heard the same thing as Spatulas re: sending in more information--the order of the list is evidently pretty much set in stone at this point

Does anyone know if this numerical score happened right after the interview/during the original committee meeting or if it happened some time in April after they had gotten through all the applications?

I have not received mine either. Has anyone received the waitlist letter or low waitlist letter (whatever it is they call the letter from which there is little/no hope of getting a call)? I wonder if they are sent out in two batches or on the same day?

Thanks for the heads-up about returning the postcard by a certain date Zeff.

anyone calling jhu med admissions today to ask about the letter that we should've received by now?

Are any Alternate Listers sending FAFSA info to Hopkins now that you've received the official letter?

I'm sure they'd love it if nobody sent in any updates, since it would make their lives easier. That said, it appears that in some limited circumstances they do use the info you send them. At the very least, it's certainly not going to hurt you. (Oops, here I go, enabling overachievers!)

Are any Alternate Listers sending FAFSA info to Hopkins now that you've received the official letter?

I called and they said that financial aid information is not necessary at this point. That said, it seems that the information different people are getting from them is not consistent.

To add to general info about the alternate list letter - they give you a fax number so that you can also fax the reply. Since that arrives the same day you send it, everyone who hasn't received a letter yet can worry a little bit less about making the May 16th deadline.

To add to general info about the alternate list letter - they give you a fax number so that you can also fax the reply. Since that arrives the same day you send it, everyone who hasn't received a letter yet can worry a little bit less about making the May 16th deadline.

I still have received no word from them. Does this mean bad news or just slow mail?

I got my letter yesterday and I'm in New York... just to give another data point for you guys...