Housing Options for PCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gbabe

tally roight
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the best options housing wise for an incoming student to PCOM? Do most people find a random roommate or live alone? What are some good apartment buildings?

Members don't see this ad.

I go to PCOM currently (I'll be starting my second year in June). Lots of people live around PCOM...I know a good number of people that live alone, and a few people that have roommates (however, they knew the person prior to living with them).

Presidential Apartments - close to PCOM, but super disgusting. i know a few people that live there...all I have to say is mice, bad parking and a few scary homeless people walking around the laundry area of the building. i almost lived there until i talked to PCOM students!

Beekman Place - tons of PCOM-er's live there. Great management, and fairly good apartments. Haven't heard about any mice/bug problems from them, and they are familiar with PCOM students. All utilities included, if I remember correctly. Fitness center.

Bala Apartments - No parking, horrible apartments. When I looked, the floor was caving in.

Imperial Towers - Nice - very similar to Beekman. Imperial has better parking though, the layout of the apartments is almost identical. Imperial is not so much on the main road, which is nice. All utilities included, (including central air!) fitness center and 24 hour doorman.

Greenbriar - lots of people live there, but it's run down. all of my friends who live there have mice or mold, regardless of how clean they are. all utilites are included...except some apartments don't have air all the time which is weird.

Duffield House - nice, but expensive compared to the others! i think they have a fitness center too?

Lincoln Greene - probably the closest walking distance to PCOM. no utilities included and it is a little higher priced (little bit nicer inside, though). i think a one bedroom is around 920-950 (for a smaller one bedroom?) and utilites can run up to 100 dollars a month, esp in philly...i have heard rumors that safety is a concern at lincoln greene (rape and robbery?), but i have no personal experience with that, so i'd check out apartmentratings.com.

Lots of people I know also live in the Manayunk area...I know parking sucks but it is close to "main street' which is where most of the bars are.
Some live in center city, but that too is expensive. chestnut hill area is cute, but a bit of a drive, and traffic in the morning and at night can be a total annoyance!

good luck!

Hey, saw this thread and thought I would post my house. I am currently a resident, graduated from PCOM, if anyone is interested in renting my home let me know. It's a 2 bedroom 1 bath with a garage and driveway in the Mayfair/Holmesburg area of the city, about 25-30 minutes from PCOM driving down route 1, maybe less depending on traffic. It's been rehabbed when I bought it. Getting Married and the future wife wants to be in the burbs. Looking to rent the whole place for $875 a month, no utilities included. It's close to the Aria Hospital campuses too. If interested email me, I'll send you some pictures.
[email protected]

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey!!! I am a current 2nd year at PCOM.

I live in a house right down the street (N 46th Street) with 2 other people. My roommates are moving out next year, one because she is doing 3rd and 4th year rotations all in Pittsburgh, and the other one because she is in a 5 year program and wants to move closer to Temple where she is spending all of next year taking classes. Anyway, my point: I need roommates.

About the house:
The house is super gorgeous. It is a row house on the end of the row right off of Belmont. Literally I woke up one day at 7:42 on accident, and I was dressed, ready, parked at school, and in my seat by 7:58. That's how close it is. Soooo convenient and it's been great during second year and is going to be awesome with boards studying. The landlords are totally awesome. They come over every so often if we are on breaks to check up on things. They only live like 4 streets away, so if we need them, forgot a key, etc, they can be there right away. But they aren't overbearing, by any means. Ok so there is a garage, finished basement with bathroom, laundry room, then the first floor has a big living area, big dining room, and the kitchen is all newly redone. There are 3 bedrooms and a gorgeous bathroom on the second floor. Two of the bedrooms (one which is mine) have 2 closets each and are a great size. The third is a little smaller, BUT there is a whole 4th floor that we have let the person with the small bedroom use. One of the rooms upstairs she uses as her study. Has a couch, desk, etc. It's like her little study. There is also another bathroom up on that floor that she uses as well. And then there is another room up there that we use for guests and for storage. There is so much space that we don't really know what to do with. It's so close to Manayunk, too. So if we ever go out, we get cabs for like $11. I love it, and I really don't want to leave. The rent per person is $600 without utilities. Ends up being about $700. It's awesome for what we are getting.

My husband and I are both PCOM alums and are looking to rent our house in East Falls. We have a great 3-4 bedroom townhouse close to PCOM. Walking distance to SEPTA regional rail and local eateries. Spacious 2200 sq ft, 2.5 baths, nice deck with patio, lots of light, washer and dryer, new appliances, central air and heating, working fireplace, off street parking for 3 cars included with rent, garage, a must see looking to rent for August 2011, security deposit and first month rent only. House will be professionally cleaned prior to tenants moving in.

Contact us: [email protected] if interested . . . .