2023-2024 Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (PCOM-PA)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got off the waitlist , accepted today!!!!
Wait listed 5/29.
Congrats!! how were you notified?? did you get a call, email, or just check your portal?? also do you have the second drop down ??
I've been checking my portal like once an hour like an insane person lol

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats!! how were you notified?? did you get a call, email, or just check your portal?? also do you have the second drop down ??
same 😭 its so hard to not think about it so close to the start of school and without a definitive date of when the decision might change

Reactions: 1 users
So I received a phone call from the person who interviewed me , who was also on the admissions team. Then after the call I went to the portal and everything was updated with the congratulations. I didn't receive an email until an hour later.

• Care
Members don't see this ad :)
Thinking of withdrawing just so I can say they didn't reject me 🤣🤣🤣 #4bartribe
I should have withdrawn when I had the chance lolol nah but I got the pre-II rejection yesterday. I'm thankful to have an A somewhere else, but wishing y'all the best!! The wait is almost over!

IS A this morning but I ended up deferring to next year. Hope it goes to one of yall :)

husband was WL 5/8, really thought he was a good candidate, does anyone know what PCOM is looking for?
MCAT 511, sGPA 3.5, 200+ hours EMT and clinical experience.

husband was WL 5/8, really thought he was a good candidate, does anyone know what PCOM is looking for?
MCAT 511, sGPA 3.5, 200+ hours EMT and clinical experience.
Who honestly knows? I hope one day I can sit on an admissions committee so I can fully understand

Has anybody interviewed in May received an acceptance without being waitlisted first?

Has anybody interviewed in May received an acceptance without being waitlisted first?

I think I might’ve unofficially did? I’m still at 6 bars but my drop down has more options than usual (like explaining what other As I got and ranting their interview day experience).

I think I might’ve unofficially did? I’m still at 6 bars but my drop down has more options than usual (like explaining what other As I got and ranting their interview day experience).
Im sorry but wym?

Members don't see this ad :)
I had this too but was still waitlisted

Are they done interviewing? Since they started sending pre II-R?
I contacted admissions and they said they were done interviewing, that's why they sent pre-II Rs. Also they said that the waitlist is dependent on many factors and may continue until the first day of class

it just all seems like a coin toss at the end of the day which really makes me doubt the validity of the whole system
For what it’s worth, I have a 514 MCAT and a 3.8+ sGPA and was waitlisted for months before getting an acceptance - I also have seen them reject someone with a 4.0 and 519 MCAT but accept someone right off the bat with a 499, so it really does feel like a crapshoot at times. Luckily, PCOM does have good WL movement and I wouldn’t lose hope just yet

For what it’s worth, I have a 514 MCAT and a 3.8+ sGPA and was waitlisted for months before getting an acceptance - I also have seen them reject someone with a 4.0 and 519 MCAT but accept someone right off the bat with a 499, so it really does feel like a crapshoot at times. Luckily, PCOM does have good WL movement and I wouldn’t lose hope just yet
thanks for sharing and yes we are trying not lose hope just yet, I guess it's not over until PCOM says is over.

For those on with a WL, there will definitely be some movement going on. There are people that I know that given an A throughout June and July last cycle, so all hope isn't lost. And if you have any notable updates to your app, you can always upload it on your portal to hopefully nudge the ADCOMs to give out an A

I've been getting mixed advice about PCOM and letters of intent. I had my interview and would go in a heartbeat but I vaguely remember them saying or reading somewhere they only really want large stat updates (new class, mcat attempt etc.), but now I can't find that info anymore. Still at 6 bars over here 🥴

I've been getting mixed advice about PCOM and letters of intent. I had my interview and would go in a heartbeat but I vaguely remember them saying or reading somewhere they only really want large stat updates (new class, mcat attempt etc.), but now I can't find that info anymore. Still at 6 bars over here 🥴
from what I've gathered from speaking with admissions, current students, and doctors, a LOI cannot hurt. i believe it's helpful as it shows continued interest, but who knows

With any form of update that is sent to any med school, it is best to send one that talks about notable changes from the time of submitting your app (e.g., new experiences, grade changes, publications). For a letter of intent, it is to affirm your commitment to the school in the event of being given an A and states the reasons why that is the case. I would definitely recommend submitting one if PCOM is your top choice med school

I sent an LOI a few days after I was waitlisted (waitlisted 5/29, sent letter 6/3). I also included updates like my abstract being accepted for a poster presentation at a conference and some more volunteering I had done. I was accepted three days later, but of course, I can't be sure if it made a difference or if they even read it lol. But, all in all, I don't think it can hurt to send one (even if you haven't received a post ii decision), especially if it's well-written and you really want to go. Wishing you and everyone else the best of luck!! :)

I sent an LOI a few days after I was waitlisted (waitlisted 5/29, sent letter 6/3). I also included updates like my abstract being accepted for a poster presentation at a conference and some more volunteering I had done. I was accepted three days later, but of course, I can't be sure if it made a difference or if they even read it lol. But, all in all, I don't think it can hurt to send one (even if you haven't received a post ii decision), especially if it's well-written and you really want to go. Wishing you and everyone else the best of luck!! :)
Thanks everyone for all the replies! I don't have particularly (positive) notable updates. I had to leave my clinical job because of financial issues even though I projected that I would stay. I'm now a CRC but it isn't very "clinical". None of my research has any pub updates sadly, no new courses or MCATs. I have had some new volunteering and community outreach though. How long were your letters? I assume talking about any new things weren't particularly longer than a space on the original app for an activity would be? I am not sure if I should talk about the job change. Maybe just the volunteering and how I could bring those new skills to like a club on campus 🥴

Thanks everyone for all the replies! I don't have particularly (positive) notable updates. I had to leave my clinical job because of financial issues even though I projected that I would stay. I'm now a CRC but it isn't very "clinical". None of my research has any pub updates sadly, no new courses or MCATs. I have had some new volunteering and community outreach though. How long were your letters? I assume talking about any new things weren't particularly longer than a space on the original app for an activity would be? I am not sure if I should talk about the job change. Maybe just the volunteering and how I could bring those new skills to like a club on campus 🥴
typically keep it on one page since anything longer they likely won't want to read. Add any new experience, clinical or non clinical. Just make sure to add a blurb about what you learned from the experience/how the skills gained can help you in med school or in your future career.
For example, in one of my update letters I added about how I recently ran a half marathon, and the training taught me consistency and resilience and I added how it could help me with studying etc in med school :)

How long did it take people here to get WL after interviewing, it seems like ≈ 14 days after interview, I’m about to 20 days out so trying to see if I’m going to receive the R 😭

How long did it take people here to get WL after interviewing, it seems like ≈ 14 days after interview, I’m about to 20 days out so trying to see if I’m going to receive the R 😭
I interviewed 5/17 and got WL 6/7

Cool I got to 7 bars today, with no decision lmao
The decision should be officially released tomorrow. If you see two drop down menus on your portal, then you'll be getting an A. If you only see one, then it'll either be a WL or R

The decision should be officially released tomorrow. If you see two drop down menus on your portal, then you'll be getting an A. If you only see one, then it'll either be a WL or R
I only see 1 but I interviewed late as well, thank you so much for your help

hoping for some good WL movement soon for all of us!

5/21 interview to 6/13 WL combo lol. Sending you all the good vibes. At this stage of the cycle, did any post-May interviews get an R?

Anyone else get an email asking if they would like to transfer their DO app to the SMP? I think it might have conditional acceptance so that would be cool.

Anyone else get an email asking if they would like to transfer their DO app to the SMP? I think it might have conditional acceptance so that would be cool.

I received this email, too. Their website states that for the first year of the SMP, to be given a conditional DO acceptance, you need a 3.3+ in the SMP program and a 500+ MCAT with no subsection beneath 40%. For the second year of the SMP, for a conditional DO acceptance, it’s all the same, except the requirement is a 3.2+ in the SMP program (as opposed to 3.3). It appears that all graduates get an interview, but it states that an interview is certainly no guarantee of acceptance. Unsure if the website is frequently updated, so anyone can feel free to correct me.

I, personally, don’t have the MCAT requirements, so that would mean I’d need to bring my score up during the program. Idk. It seems like a great option if you have the MCAT requirements, though.

Would be interested to hear from others familiar with the program, though previous year’s threads have also been helpful.

I received this email, too. Their website states that for the first year of the SMP, to be given a conditional DO acceptance, you need a 3.3+ in the SMP program and a 500+ MCAT with no subsection beneath 40%. For the second year of the SMP, for a conditional DO acceptance, it’s all the same, except the requirement is a 3.2+ in the SMP program (as opposed to 3.3). It appears that all graduates get an interview, but it states that an interview is certainly no guarantee of acceptance. Unsure if the website is frequently updated, so anyone can feel free to correct me.

I, personally, don’t have the MCAT requirements, so that would mean I’d need to bring my score up during the program. Idk. It seems like a great option if you have the MCAT requirements, though.

Would be interested to hear from others familiar with the program, though previous year’s threads have also been helpful.
Yeah i’m definitely going to do some research this weekend. I’m already enrolled at the SMP at Tulane considering I don’t make it off any of my waitlists, but i’m definitely interested in this.

I got the email too but I got off the waitlist at a diff school. Yeah there a no for me dawg.

Reactions: 2 users

I graduated from the program and got the A. It really does help you get in.

Worst part of the WL is having to prepare to reapply/applying for jobs…

I submitted my LOI/App update. Praying for more movement for all of us 🙏