How about starting to talk about our 2017 rank lists?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Your top 2 are solid. I'm curious why CCF and Iowa aren't up there with them. Both are stellar programs that put resident education first. I don't know much about Loma Linda and Kentucky. Utah is a beautiful location, but I think they might not have CRNAs, leaving you to be the main workforce rather than being a primary learner. Every case is not a good learning case, no matter how many times they repeat that. Also, what stood out about Nebraska to you? I noticed you have them talked pretty high.
CCF and Iowa, I just didn't love Cleveland (seemed gloomy, and old) or Iowa city (no good major airport near Iowa city). I liked the programs a lot. It's mostly arbitrary and my opinions were formed over only a short stay in each city. I'd still be very happy at either one.

Most of our family is West (Loma Linda, U of Utah, U of AZ), but we have some family in Indianapolis, which gave Kentucky that edge.

As far as Nebraska goes, I just really loved the program. Great people. Has all the cases you could want/need. Super low cost of living (I've got a family). And driving to visit family in Utah/Colorado/Idaho is a good deal more feasible from Omaha.

I loved San Antonio, but it's farther from family than any other program on my list.

Last thing, I'm currently set on cardiac anesthesia. Most of my top programs offer the fellowship. While Utah does not, they have stellar TEE training.

Members don't see this ad.

5. U Michigan
+culture of excellence, research/clinical powerhouse, huge alumni network, college sports
-Ann Arbor, too family oriented (can you tell I'm single)
The funny thing about this comment is I only met like 3-4 residents with families on my interview day. And I had to try to track them down (I have family so I try to get in my pertinent questions that only they can really answer). I kept finding myself surrounded by a ton of single residents, both throughout the day and at the dinner. I didn't get the "family oriented" impression from them.

Reactions: 1 user
The funny thing about this comment is I only met like 3-4 residents with families on my interview day. And I had to try to track them down (I have family so I try to get in my pertinent questions that only they can really answer). I kept finding myself surrounded by a ton of single residents, both throughout the day and at the dinner. I didn't get the "family oriented" impression from them.
I've been told that Ann Arbor is better CoL for families and Chicago is better for singles by a (nearly) U Michigan lifer. Other than that, I think you are right in that this perception is over-blown. My lasting impression is the interesting selection of a girlfriend brought to the dinner.

Members don't see this ad :)
I need help with the middle of my list right now:

Currently:
4.) UVA -Loved the people, location, and clinical training is strong.
5.) CCF-Strong clinical exposure and research, but workhorse vibe. Seems easy to fall under the radar with so many residents
6.) NYP-Columbia: probably malignant, NYC is expensive, and ancillary staff are bad, BUT strong clinical and research infrastructure
7.) Yale- Felt like a strong program through and through, just didn't feel strongly about it so I put it in the middle
8.) Cedar Sinai- Bit of a wild card. Clearly strong clinical training but probably not academic program. I liked LA, just worries about supervision loom
9.) Case Western UH: Not that much research activity, but otherwise strong clinical training

Not sure why yet, but I'd be wary of UH- they just got a warning to their accreditation.

I perceived my list to be clinically equivalent so I cared more about location, QoL, CoL, culture fit. Really having trouble flip flopping #2 and 4 which could be significant.

1. Mt Sinai
+PD is THE MAN and ultimate resident advocate, culture fit, epic moonlighting (residents have made 6 figures), best subsidized housing of NY 4, chief is going to MGH without fellowship so you know job placement is legit here, dept is well respected in hospital
-older facility, not a research powerhouse, weaker peds

2. NW
+singles culture, downtown location in Chicago (honestly only reason why it's #2), strong clinical experience all around
-less warm/friendly residents than UChicago, heavy OB experience (reason for ACGME warning)

3. WashU
+research, all-around clinical powerhouse, smaller resident size better case selection, really loved the residents here, low CoL
-midwest, STL is just ok

4. U Chicago
+absolutely loved the chief residents (good sign of program culture), facilities, tight knit group, higher QoL than NW, more geographically diverse fellowship matches
-basically have to drive to work, perceived to be less clinically strong than NW (but I'm not sure about this)

5. U Michigan
+culture of excellence, research/clinical powerhouse, huge alumni network, college sports
-Ann Arbor, too family oriented (can you tell I'm single)

6. Cornell
+tri institutional model, strong regional experience, strong leadership, location
-perceived to be longer hours, housing choices limited due to CoL, "innovative" curriculum seemed to be more hype than reality

7. UPMC
+very strong and diverse clinical experience, didactics, research
-awkward interactions with program on interview day suggest a poor culture fit

8. NYU
+QoL, location
-QoL, interview day was odd and didn't feel like I learned that much about the program then it was over

9. Columbia
+research clinical blah blah blah
-probably the best all-around program on my list but I get the feeling that I would be happier while achieving the same career goals at the above programs (prestige ****** are overrated)

So NW no longer has that warning, and I think they've really done a great job addressing the service/learning imbalance, mostly by hiring a ton of new CRNAs. On the other hand, with UChicago opening up the level 1 trauma, a lot of the residents I talked to were worried about what that would mean for their service/learning imbalance. I agree with everything else you say about them. Also, wasn't Levine the coolest!

So my top 3 are pretty much set, but I'm having trouble with 4-6 if anyone has any thoughts I would really appreciate it

UTSW:
Pros: Great clinical training, well-rounded program, opportunities for research if wanted, I thought the chair of the dept was an amazing guy, general good vibe
Cons: I am a little skeptical about Dallas, the residents said the ca1 call schedule isn't that bad but I'm not so sure I buy it, bigger program and I got the feeling you can slip through the cracks, fellowship matches pretty regional

UC Davis:
Pros: Would love to be in northern Cal, great vibes from the residents and faculty, great peds and pain experience, new chair seems to have a clear vision for the department and making positive changes, smaller program (pro for me)
Cons: Doesn't have the national reputation, critical care experience seems weak, not as many grads going into fellowship as other places

Michigan:
Pros: amazing reputation with a great clinical experience, opportunities for research, leadership in the department, really well-rounded, lots of fellowship opportunities
Cons: Really not excited about the idea of Ann Arbor...at all

It basically comes down to this: I really liked Davis, but this is based mostly on vibes/gut feeling/location. I don't have super strong ties to Cali, but where I live is really important to me and I am really drawn to the idea of Northern California. That being said, am I an idiot to rank a Davis above a Michigan or UTSW? I think I could be a great clinician coming from any program, but will I be closing too many doors at Davis vs one of the others? I am thinking fellowship but I really am not sure where my career will go.

Thanks & good luck everyone!

So my top 3 are pretty much set, but I'm having trouble with 4-6 if anyone has any thoughts I would really appreciate it

UTSW:
Pros: Great clinical training, well-rounded program, opportunities for research if wanted, I thought the chair of the dept was an amazing guy, general good vibe
Cons: I am a little skeptical about Dallas, the residents said the ca1 call schedule isn't that bad but I'm not so sure I buy it, bigger program and I got the feeling you can slip through the cracks, fellowship matches pretty regional

UC Davis:
Pros: Would love to be in northern Cal, great vibes from the residents and faculty, great peds and pain experience, new chair seems to have a clear vision for the department and making positive changes, smaller program (pro for me)
Cons: Doesn't have the national reputation, critical care experience seems weak, not as many grads going into fellowship as other places

Michigan:
Pros: amazing reputation with a great clinical experience, opportunities for research, leadership in the department, really well-rounded, lots of fellowship opportunities

It basically comes down to this: I really liked Davis, but this is based mostly on vibes/gut feeling/location. I don't have super strong ties to Cali, but where I live is really important to me and I am really drawn to the idea of Northern California. That being said, am I an idiot to rank a Davis above a Michigan or UTSW? I think I could be a great clinician coming from any program, but will I be closing too many doors at Davis vs one of the others? I am thinking fellowship but I really am not sure where my career will go.

What's your top 3? About 80% of people match in their top 3. So you likely will not have to worry much. I don't think you will lose much from going to UCDavis. Although UTSW and Michigan are great places for sure, they aren't the perennial tops of the tops from what I understand that you'd really make huge inroads to academia. So UCDavis is more than likely fine if you have a great gut feeling, but even more likely you'll match your top 3.

For what it's worth, UMich is ranked 9 on doximity, UTSW is ranked 30. Not that these rankings are perfect or accurate by any means, but I doubt you'd have any issues getting anywhere in academia from either program.

Please stop talking about doximity.

Reactions: 2 users
For what it's worth, UMich is ranked 9 on doximity, UTSW is ranked 30. Not that these rankings are perfect or accurate by any means, but I doubt you'd have any issues getting anywhere in academia from either program.

Yeah I am aware of the Doximity rankings. but I guess what I meant was country wide recognition in general. Like across regions, everyone knows including non-medical people knows MGH, BW, Stanford, Hopkins etc but maybe Michigan and UTSW not as much although of course excellent names and places in their own right. So yeah, UTSW everyone knows on the the west. UCDavis everyone knows in CA and west. Michigan same. But more regional recognition relative to nationwide for the tops of the top.

UTSW:

UC Davis:

Michigan:

Today's high temps:

Dallas 49
Sacramento 53
Ann Arbor 23

That said, you'll be suffering during the summer in Dallas and Sacto.

Pali Alto is nice year round.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've never had to shovel the heat off my driveway.

Central CA gets Africa hot during the summer. It's a dry heat though. :) Nothing like the south.

Oh CA gets plenty of snow - but we know where to keep it.

And one of the underappreciated/oft forgotten benefits of CA is the utter lack of bugs. I'm born and bred CA but went to a Mid-Atlantic med school and man, you guys have some truly prehistoric insects over there. Flocks of mosquitos that require a type and cross, 3" long centipedes in the house (seriously WTF), and I'll never forget the night a Palmetto bug locked my wife outta the house.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 users
Please stop talking about doximity.

People keep saying this. What programs are high that shouldn't be and low that shouldn't be? It seems everyone agrees the "best" programs are BWH, MGH, UCSF, Stanford, Duke, Penn, Columbia and those are all "top 10".

Basically my questions is where does doximity go "wrong" if some of the top programs are considered the top?

People keep saying this. What programs are high that shouldn't be and low that shouldn't be? It seems everyone agrees the "best" programs are BWH, MGH, UCSF, Stanford, Duke, Penn, Columbia and those are all "top 10".

Basically my questions is where does doximity go "wrong" if some of the top programs are considered the top?

How do you rank a program? What criteria do you use? What is your basis for comparison? Making a list makes it seem like there's some sort of objective hierarchy but there really isn't. And some of the "best" programs weren't really all that impressive while some of the lesser known programs seemed like great places to train. In the end, they will all teach you how to think like an anesthesiologist, do procedures, use anesthetics, etc.

Last edited:
The reason doximity is a joke is the surveys involved in ranking are sent in by the residents at the programs themselves. Percentage filled out helps to increase your ranking.

They also sell (well, I don't know they sell it I guess) your information to headhunters, therefore after filling out their surveys expect to get bombarded with locums type emails and phone calls your ca-3 year.

And also, they run articles that are pretty indicative of the massive sellout they are.

Yeah I am aware of the Doximity rankings. but I guess what I meant was country wide recognition in general. Like across regions, everyone knows including non-medical people knows MGH, BW, Stanford, Hopkins etc but maybe Michigan and UTSW not as much although of course excellent names and places in their own right. So yeah, UTSW everyone knows on the the west. UCDavis everyone knows in CA and west. Michigan same. But more regional recognition relative to nationwide for the tops of the top.

Michigan and UTSW are well known programs. Michigan is a top 20 type program. UTSW is upper mid-tier. Both are highly regarded Residency programs.

Big name programs with historically high Step 1 scores are at the top of the list. But, does that mean programs whose Step 1 scores are "only" 235 are not solid programs?
Of course not. The purpose of the interview is to see which program or programs is a good fit for you in terms of location, education, prestige and training/case opportunities. There are so many good programs to choose from regardless of the doximity rankings. My "numbers 1-5" would not be the same as someone else's 1-5.
It wasn't that long ago that UPMC was just a midtier program looking to move up based on its outstanding training.

A motivated resident at CCF can match up pretty well against MGH just as UTSW can match up against Michigan. Personal drive, motivation and effort combined with a good program leads to superstar status as an Attending or Fellow.

The longer I look at my (already finalized) rank list, the more doubts I get and the more I wanna move things around

Why is there hate on Ann Arbor? Is it just the weather? I think it's a nice college town, and this is coming from an OSU grad.

IMO.

Low that shouldn't be: UAB

High that shouldn't be: Hopkins, Mayo

What influences a Med4's opinion of a program that he/she did not interview at? Everyone bashes the Doximity rankings and then proffers up his/her own opinion and just wondering what, if anything, it's based upon.

I concur about Ann Arbor too...nice college town.

What influences a Med4's opinion of a program that he/she did not interview at? Everyone bashes the Doximity rankings and then proffers up his/her own opinion and just wondering what, if anything, it's based upon.

I concur about Ann Arbor too...nice college town.
Opinions are often based on impressions from interviews back when the attendings here were in your shoes, people they worked with from those programs, people they may know who currently work at those programs, and for the research-minded, what research has come out of those programs.

The big reason Doximetry sucks, is that there are no objective criteria to rank programs, and all rankings are going to be personal. For fellowship, I ranked a few small, newer programs higher than larger, established programs because I believed that my training and experience there would be better than at the bigger name places. I have no desire for a year of in-house Q3 call, "80" hours a week in-house (plus home call), or being treated like a resident again.

Hi friends, let's do this.

So, I've got no geographic ties really and am single as heck and I'm starting to get the feeling that this whole rank list process is a huge convoluted game of Hey, So Where Do You Want to Live? Am I that far off-base in thinking this from the schools on my list? Anything I've really missed?

1-4 in some order
UCSD - outside chance of intubating a panda
UCLA - outside chance of intubating drew carey
Washington - strong chance of ending every psych consult with "Thanks for stopping by, Frasier"
OHSU
- entire golden weekends consumed by waiting in line for brunch

5-8 in some order
Northwestern - recovering from full-on damage control of faculty turnover, seem to be taking the right steps
Cornell - Would be my runaway #1 if the 1BR across the street didn't go for $3000/month
NYU - most pointless, nondescript interview day of the year - "why anesthesia, why nyu, do you have any questions for me, this concludes our time")
BIDMC - seriously, i really liked these guys - seemed very focused on "what do you want to do with your life? well, here's how we can help."

9) Utah - SLC less Mormony than advertised, but no good draft beer for 4 years :(
10) Cleveland Clinic - Cleveland :(((
11-14) Assorted others who I am sure would still give solid training

Thanks to all advice-givers I've followed on this forum over the years. You guys are really helpful, even (especially?) the perpetual doomsayers.

I am struggling between UW and NYU....I love both cities equally--one is a TY intern year, and the other is advanced (but I have 3 TY's I would hopefully match into along with it).

Which program yields better fellowship opportunities nationally? I.e. a pediatrics fellowship program at either Texas Children's, Stanford, CHOP Colorado, or Boston Children's? I know UW probably places in Stanford more, while NYU places in Boston Children's more, but which program gives a better average opportunity for all of the above? All hypothetical of course, I just named those 5 places because they are a good spread of national programs.

Last edited:
Why is there hate on Ann Arbor? Is it just the weather? I think it's a nice college town, and this is coming from an OSU grad.

Many applicants we see are coming from 4 or 8 years of living in a "nice college town" and are looking for a larger city with more to do, especially if they are single. That's why many of like programs can have (what seems like) a high amount of residents with families.

Depends on what YOU want. I could never deal with the winters there. Some could never deal with the hot summers in Texas or Florida. It absolutely makes a difference.

Any thoughts on UVA vs UAB vs Wake? Emphasis on quality of clinical education, research opportunities, and fellowship options. Locations not an issue.

Most of my rank list is dictated by being close to my wife (she is also in a medical professional school and will be graduating after me) but the programs that I keep going back and forth on in terms of ranking one above the other is University of Kentucky vs. UTMB and UT Houston vs. Loma Linda. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Most of my rank list is dictated by being close to my wife (she is also in a medical professional school and will be graduating after me) but the programs that I keep going back and forth on in terms of ranking one above the other is University of Kentucky vs. UTMB and UT Houston vs. Loma Linda. Any thoughts?

These are all over the place geographically and good programs from what I've heard, I think you should decide where you want to to be location wise and then rank off that.

I was pretty back and forth on Kentucky vs Loma Linda but eventually put Loma Linda first due to location.

Any thoughts on UVA vs UAB vs Wake? Emphasis on quality of clinical education, research opportunities, and fellowship options. Locations not an issue.

Didn't look at UAB but I can speak to UVA and Wake.

I think the clinical training is equivalent for those two. Research did not seem to be an emphasis for either program to be honest. I'd give a slight edge to UVA in that regard unless you are interested in OB which case Wake dominates. Fellowship options are limited at both programs. Both have pain and regional but Wake has Cards and UVA has stim/MedEd is restarting their CritCare fellowship next year. Wake has moonlighting. UVA does not. UVA has OpenAnesthesia.

Location is really the main differentiator to me. Wake is a small city in the center of NC with an incredibly low COL with a more southern vibe. UVA is a college town in SE Virginia with a moderately higher COL. Both programs are family-oriented.

I was pretty back and forth on Kentucky vs Loma Linda but eventually put Loma Linda first due to location.
These are all over the place geographically and good programs from what I've heard, I think you should decide where you want to to be location wise and then rank off that.

Alright, cool. Thanks for the input!

Alright, cool. Thanks for the input!
Really I thought they were nearly equivalent. The intern year at Kentucky seems nicer. PD there and his intense devotion to education is also pretty unbeatable. Close to Red River Gorge so you can do some excellent rock climbing.

Loma Linda seemed to "have it all." Huge amount of pediatric anesthesia. Cardiac fellowship is more well established, as opposed to Kentucky just starting one (I'm planning on cardiac). PD at Kentucky was at Loma Linda for much of his career and spoke very positively of it and its leadership to me. LLU is close to the ocean, Disneyland, the mountains, and the desert. Lot of airports to choose from. The weather :thumbup:

Last edited:
How should I rank these: Baylor UPenn NU OSU Cincinnati?

For those ranking UPMC, the UPMC prelim transitional/anesthesia box is grayed out so I can't add it to my supplemental list. Any suggestions how to fix that?

The only reason I'm not ranking UAB very highly is because of location and diversity within the program. If those aren't issues for you, then I'd say its a great program. I didn't go to UVA, but Wake was a little limited in research and fellowships. Plus I really didn't like their program director- he was very "my way is the only way". Plus he completely discounts the idea of perioperative medicine as the future of anesthesiology. Which to me just seems short sighted. UAB on the other hand is one of the leaders in that area. Tons of fellowships. More transplants than Wake. Excellent reputation. But definitely a married white boy club haha.

The only reason I'm not ranking UAB very highly is because of location and diversity within the program. If those aren't issues for you, then I'd say its a great program. I didn't go to UVA, but Wake was a little limited in research and fellowships. Plus I really didn't like their program director- he was very "my way is the only way". Plus he completely discounts the idea of perioperative medicine as the future of anesthesiology. Which to me just seems short sighted. UAB on the other hand is one of the leaders in that area. Tons of fellowships. More transplants than Wake. Excellent reputation. But definitely a married white boy club haha.

Do you mind posting your list? I'm curious to see it. UAB is a very good program.

Very helpful! Thanks so much. As a female, I definitely noticed that the CA0's and CA1's only have 3/21 females. Location is not an issue. I actually have cousins in Birmingham who are very happy there. What programs are you ranking ahead of UAB, if you don't mind me asking?

Hi friends, let's do this.

So, I've got no geographic ties really and am single as heck and I'm starting to get the feeling that this whole rank list process is a huge convoluted game of Hey, So Where Do You Want to Live? Am I that far off-base in thinking this from the schools on my list? Anything I've really missed?

1-4 in some order
UCSD - outside chance of intubating a panda
UCLA - outside chance of intubating drew carey
Washington - strong chance of ending every psych consult with "Thanks for stopping by, Frasier"
OHSU - entire golden weekends consumed by waiting in line for brunch

5-8 in some order
Northwestern - recovering from full-on damage control of faculty turnover, seem to be taking the right steps
Cornell - Would be my runaway #1 if the 1BR across the street didn't go for $3000/month
NYU - most pointless, nondescript interview day of the year - "why anesthesia, why nyu, do you have any questions for me, this concludes our time")
BIDMC - seriously, i really liked these guys - seemed very focused on "what do you want to do with your life? well, here's how we can help."

9) Utah - SLC less Mormony than advertised, but no good draft beer for 4 years :(
10) Cleveland Clinic - Cleveland :(((
11-14) Assorted others who I am sure would still give solid training

Thanks to all advice-givers I've followed on this forum over the years. You guys are really helpful, even (especially?) the perpetual doomsayers.

Wow great places! You're right basically comes down to where you wanna live! East vs West
East- BID- Got that Harvard grad! Pretty sweet haha. Harvard with a heart as it sounds; Cornell- Have a friend doing pain fellowship there. Loves it! Working at Hospital Special Surgery. He also got the living stipend to help out. Ivy league name doesn't hurt either!
Northwest- This is the new thing for us new millennials. Nature, city, food... got it all! I'd say UW probably has the edge as it sees more diversity of cases including trauma. OHSU is still great though with great leadership in Dr. Kirsch.
West- San Diego easier to live in LA imo