How are my chances getting into NYU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maythirtyone

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Guys please help what’s your opinion
considering an international applicant has/is

Female, 21 yo
1. GPA of 3.4 (low), electrical engineering from highest ranked uni in the country
2. 526 MCAT score
3. Extra: she’s a founder of a startup tech company (an application highly known in the country) with $ 200.000 monthly gross revenue. She founded it when she was 20. The company will expand larger into asia area first and that’d double the revenue to millions dollar.

This means she has a really strong leadership and work experience.

4. She has a few volunteer work in health related field.

How are her chances in getting into NYU?
I contacted NYU, they say they don’t have any precourse requirements. But one must be a permanent resident. But she doesnt have any problem with that

Members don't see this ad.

She
Will her ceo status be considered as competitive applicant?
pls don’t mind her being busy bcs of her carrer, she got lots of people she can trust. She just wants to do things she wanna do for the rest of her life. Please dont judge. Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Will her ceo status be considered as competitive applicant?

Maybe 20 years ago ... Nowadays you wanna have at least 2 CEO positions to be even considered. If I were you I would take a couple of gap years to improve and then MAYBE you'll be competitive enough. Also that 526 MCAT isn't doing you any favors, where and why did you lose two points?? Consider a retake in the future but try and actually prepare and take it seriously next time.

And work on those ECs! You need shadowing (around 50 hours including some with a primary care doc), clinical experience( direct patient contact -around 150-200 hours) and non clinical volunteering. This involves service to the underserved, those less fortunate that you. Look into homeless shelters, soup kitchens, camps for medically fragile kids etc. You’ll need around 150 hours of this too.

Maybe 20 years ago ... Nowadays you wanna have at least 2 CEO positions to be even considered. If I were you I would take a couple of gap years to improve and then MAYBE you'll be competitive enough. Also that 526 MCAT isn't doing you any favors, where and why did you lose two points?? Consider a retake in the future but try and actually prepare and take it seriously next time.
Thank you so much! do u really need the perfect mcat score to get in? i thought the high mcat would get me a way

And work on those ECs! You need shadowing (around 50 hours including some with a primary care doc), clinical experience( direct patient contact -around 150-200 hours) and non clinical volunteering. This involves service to the underserved, those less fortunate that you. Look into homeless shelters, soup kitchens, camps for medically fragile kids etc. You’ll need around 150 hours of this too.
thank you so much for the suggestion! i will definitely

Never a smart idea of pinning your hopes on one school in particular. I'd say the chances are very good to get into a New York City school overall, though.

Thank you so much! do u really need the perfect mcat score to get in? i thought the high mcat would get me a way

Your MCAT is amazing and don't even think about retaking it. Do some shadowing of MDs, volunteer 150-200 hours in both underserved populations and clinical populations. Underserved can be soup kitchen, tutoring, or anything else. Clinical can be volunteer or a job as a scribe, CNA, or something else. Any research?

Post again using the format in this threads
DO - WAMC: 500/3.27 cGPA/2.99sGPA + suggested schools?

Ethnicity and/or race:
Year in school:

Country/state of residence:
Schools to which you are applying:
Cumulative GPA:
Science GPA:
MCAT Scores:
Research:
Volunteering (clinical):
Physician shadowing:
Non-clinical volunteering:
Extracurricular activities: