How do I beet other pre-med applicants for medical school spot?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
...gettting the catapult ready for a few launches

Members don't see this ad.

Wow...I think the stress of the application season is really getting to everyone...chill out...

I speak English as my second language with an accent and I wasn't offended at all when I read the initial post. I didn't even think he was referring to Asians. I just thought he couldn't spell and that he must be a *****. But who cares? Geez.

Originally posted by Gleevec
DDD, I agree completely with your point of view. But did you really have to bust out the stats and the "I dont care what others think"? Im pretty sure Mikdoc didnt care much for what others thought either. That said, I agree completely with DDD's message, just not the way he presented it.

thanks for the support gleevac...

i don't care what others think of ME... it's my message that I want to get across... if people want to think i'm arrogant and all that, it's fine... as long as my message gets across

probably wasn't a good idea busting out the stats, but i was pretty pissed at the personal attack, and I just used them to respond to his accusations of me being high and mighty. I wanted to make the point that people who get 4.0 and 40's don't appreciate being called gunners when obviously I'm not (just look at my paltry ec's). Not everyone who has high numbers is a gunner and not all gunners do well. The focus shouldn't be on me, but on people picking fun at minorities who cannot speak english, stereotypes perpetuated all too often in the media at large... this is the reason why people say to me, "Oh wow, you speak English well for an Oriental"

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by wannabedoc81
Wow...I think the stress of the application season is really getting to everyone...chill out...

I speak English as my second language with an accent and I wasn't offended at all when I read the initial post. I didn't even think he was referring to Asians. I just thought he couldn't spell and that he must be a *****. But who cares? Geez.

so you wouldn't care if I constantly made fun of your accent? or stereotyped people like you?

what on earth is a gunner? i'm new to this site, and i've seen it used a lot... who came up with this and what on earth is it supposed to mean?

a gunner is person who will stop at nothing to get an advantage above other pre-meds... any better definitions out there?

Originally posted by Tweetie_bird
don't let it get dirty, guys.....

or mama's gonna bring out a can of WHOOP A@@.

Seriously, keep it clean please.

*passes Tweetie his can of whoop @$$*

If you guys could go ahead and listen to Tweetie, that would be greaaaaaat...

The catapult is now ready for launch...

hmmm, but who should go first??

Originally posted by Dr. Dodger Dog
we need to take things concerning race and ethnicity seriously.

why?

calm the hell down.

leave it to pre med students to take something funny and turn it into a race war. it makes me sick that some people are either a) so insecure, or B) so conditioned to believe that screaming racism at the drop of a hat will somehow give them an advantage. and the sad part is it usually does.

Hey, it MIGHT have been humorous (if you appreciate DORK humor) if MikDoc weren't such a racist. But we know he is, as his previous post indicated, and we know his intentions. And don't gimme that, "He coulda been talking about any immigrant." His previous post directly insults Asians and Persians, and labels them as being overly concerned with "prestige and money." And "prestige and money" happen to pop up again in his so-called joke post.

Originally posted by sleepyhouse
why?

calm the hell down.

leave it to pre med students to take something funny and turn it into a race war. it makes me sick that some people are either a) so insecure, or B) so conditioned to believe that screaming racism at the drop of a hat will somehow give them an advantage. and the sad part is it usually does.

You make me sick you racist-supporting *****. Maybe if you would get your head out of your KKK white bedsheets and read his prior posts you will see that ALL this guys posts are racist and that this is a continuation of that. How can people like you be so naive and still want to be doctors?

Of course, why didn't I see it before when it was staring me right in the face....Of course Gleevec and LizardKing should be the first casualties, um, I mean candidates for the catapult.

"Okay boys, let's load 'em up."

Wannabedoc81, Sleepyhouse, Entei, DrewfromVa and the rest of the boys plop their two SDN medical counterparts onto the catapult and wait for the launch command.

"Okay boys, let's set 'em into orbit"

(Whooooooooooosh)..... :clap: :clap: :clap:

But, I'm sure there are others with overly delicate, sensitive, and "precious" personalites that would be good candidates for the catapult, but who?

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, looks like the KKK has come together to man the catapult (I cant believe how dumb an idea that is) What other overly *****ic, obtuse, and useless racists would like to join the KKK?

Man, some of you guys make me sick...

Originally posted by Jupiter1
Of course, why didn't I see it before when it was staring me right in the face....Of course Gleevec and LizardKing should be the first casualties, um, I mean candidates for the catapult.

"Okay boys, let's load 'em up."

Wannabedoc81, Sleepyhouse, Entei, DrewfromVa and the rest of the boys plop their two SDN medical counterparts onto the catapult and wait for the launch command.

"Okay boys, let's set 'em into orbit"

(Whooooooooooosh)..... :clap: :clap: :clap:

But, I'm sure there are others with overly delicate, sensitive, and "precious" personalites that would be good candidates for the catapult, but who?

Originally posted by LizardKing
Jupiter1 = MikDoc

Yes, and I find it funny how they both have so few posts. HMM, sounds like the same guy to me too.

I wonder when Tweetie is gonna give this punk da boot?

Originally posted by Dr. Dodger Dog
so you wouldn't care if I constantly made fun of your accent? or stereotyped people like you?

No. I would just think you were a *******.

Jupiter1 = MikDoc, I repeat.

Gleevec and Lizardking,

I'm seriously just rolling over here watching you guys get totally bent out of shape....but really now, on a serious note, I want to thank you both for providing me, so unselflessly and so unconditionally, with so much humor on this beautiful Thanksgiving Day. You really didn't have to do all this for little ol' me, but it is really greatly appreciated.

Hey, wait a second, you guys should be somewhere in orbit by now...oh never mind about that, thanks again for all the incredibly good laughs.

A round of applause for Gleevec and LizardKing for all the entertainment....:clap:

P.S. This is not also MikDoc contrary to popular belief. I represent only me.

so i point out how ridiculous this discussion is and i am in the KKK? un-****ing real. why do people get so goddam offended so easily. its ok to make fun of gay people on tv, its ok to make fun of white people, but the second anyone insinuates anything at all toward certain other groups, its racism. look at what the guy wrote, there was no name calling, no racism at all. but its ok for that indian guy on thesimpsons to talk broken english and run a quickie mart? thats fine cause he's indian and i guess indian people are ok to make fun of. its ok to openly make fun of, criticize, and laugh about the bone thin models out there, but the second anyone says anything about the "oversize" or "big and beautiful" ones, they are insensitive dinguses who dont understand the plight of fat people. give me a break. some people need to calm the **** down and stop taking things so seriously, lifes a lot more pleasant that way. and i'm sure i will make an awful doctor beacuse i dont take a holier than thou, i love everybody, "he called me a dirty name" attitude when i encounter something that might in some reidiculous way resemble racism. ok i'll get off my soap box and put my hood back on i guess

Not you, but mikdoc. You need to calm down.

so i point out how ridiculous this discussion is and i am in the KKK? un-****ing real. why do people get so goddam offended so easily. its ok to make fun of gay people on tv, its ok to make fun of white people, but the second anyone insinuates anything at all toward certain other groups, its racism. look at what the guy wrote, there was no name calling, no racism at all. but its ok for that indian guy on thesimpsons to talk broken english and run a quickie mart? thats fine cause he's indian and i guess indian people are ok to make fun of. its ok to openly make fun of, criticize, and laugh about the bone thin models out there, but the second anyone says anything about the "oversize" or "big and beautiful" ones, they are insensitive dinguses who dont understand the plight of fat people. give me a break. some people need to calm the **** down and stop taking things so seriously, lifes a lot more pleasant that way. and i'm sure i will make an awful doctor beacuse i dont take a holier than thou, i love everybody, "he called me a dirty name" attitude when i encounter something that might in some reidiculous way resemble racism. ok i'll get off my soap box and put my hood back on i guess

hahahahhaha....holy crap sleepyhouse, that was sooo funny. I was laughing for like 15 minutes.

Well said!

hahahahhaha....holy crap sleepyhouse, that was sooo funny. I was seriously laughing for like 15 minutes. Well put, but you shouldn't be going to medical school...you're an excellent writer dammit. You should just write a novel and win the Pullitzer prize next year.

Thanks bro;)

hah, man jupiter likes sucking your small c*ck doesnt he? if he thinks your writing is good, he obviously just learned to read. whatever sleepy, learn to read some posts and understand who people are talking to, maybe then you wont get involved in posts you have no business being in.

you obviously lack any reading comprehension sleephouse, because if you looked at mikdocs other posts you will see they are obviously racist. he is not being an overt racist, but he is definitely implying it.

there is a huge difference between racism for comedy and not meaning it and this guy, who buy his previous posts, is obviously a racist. the fact is, you're supporting a racist who is very serious about hating other races. no this isnt matt groening or some other television show where they are trying to be funny, this is some ****** who thinks other races are inferior.

thats the difference, and im surprised tweetie hasnt shut this guy down yet.

and i think you guys who think this is funny should put your money where your mouth is. take this post to your next medical school interview and say what you're saying on this board to your interviewer. see what he thinks. the fact is you guys are too hypocritical to even bother...

take this post to your next medical school interview and say what you're saying on this board to your interviewer. see what he thinks. the fact is you guys are too hypocritical to even bother...

well is it true or is it not? ok i will take your advice and go to my next interview with a printout of a post from a ****ing internet message board. what kind of loon would do a thing like that. yeah i know i need to brush up on my reading comprehension skills, i also need to start doing countless hours of research on this guy like you seem to have done. christ, did you get his address and phone number too? and it seems to me this guy was trying to be funny, i dont see any "hate" there. oh well, since i have no business being here, i will just say that its fine if some people want to walk around like martyrs, looking actively for opportunities to be persecuted for their race, religion, whatever, then be my guest because i guarantee youll find those reasons. but a lot of people will lose a lot of respect for you along theway, and youll be pretty miserable to top itall off. so JUST LET IT GO. i cant believe i'm even arguing about this, peace and take care of one another

Gleevec,

You seriously need to get laid...either that or have that rod surgically removed from your @ss. You've got some serious issues that you've got to work out, the least of which are the bipolar and schizophrenia disorders it seems you have. If you remember, in your original post you were laughing and thought that MikDoc was funny. Here is your quote:

Hahahahhaa. This guy is so funny. Nice imitation of a gunner.

Now, you are on a hateful, vicious, full-scale war revenge campaign to slaugher MikDoc when there really was nothing mentioned in his original post about hating Asians or Persians or whatever delirious thought your warped brain may have conjured up. Actually, you can add delirium to the list of possible medical conditions you may have along with the bipolar and schizophrenia disorders.

Anyway, for the future overall well-being of the medical profession, I hope you get these possible disorders addressed and properly treated.

Thanks for your cooperation in this matter,
Jupiter1

The jokes about immigrants and people who come from other cultures and languages are the most damaging. At first glance they seem funny but they condition people to think of the targeted population with a certain judgement. Anyway, I am an immigrant and I am proud to be a GUNNER(I don't want to harm anyone, but I would like to be the best in everything I do).

Originally posted by Dr.Linus
The jokes about immigrants and people who come from other cultures and languages are the most damaging. At first glance they seem funny but they condition people to think of the targeted population with a certain judgement. Anyway, I am an immigrant and I am proud to be a GUNNER(I don't want to harm anyone, but I will be the best in everything I do).

However, gunners are rarely good clinicians because most of them don't have the social skills necessary to quickly form trusting relationships with patients.

I did not realize he had a past history of racism at that point. It took DDD digging up the post showing that he is actually a racist for me to realize he wasnt being cute, but malicious. I thank DDD for pointing this out, otherwise I might have been confused on the posters true intent.

And Jupiter, you have know idea who I am, my credentials or personality so you are in no way a good judge of my character or medical ability. Dont trivialize bipolar and schizophrenia disorders on me, these serious mental afflictions affect real people and ruin lives. Yet you seem to throw around these terms as easily and arrogantly as Mikdoc throws around his racism. Seems like it is actually you and Mikdoc that need to "grow up and resolve your issues before entering medicine". And it would behoove you not to judge others ability in the medical profession til you 1) know them 2) are a medical professional.

Gleevec,

You seriously need to get laid...either that or have that rod surgically removed from your @ss. You've got some serious issues that you've got to work out, the least of which are the bipolar and schizophrenia disorders it seems you have. If you remember, in your original post you were laughing and thought that MikDoc was funny. Here is your quote:

Now, you are on a hateful, vicious, full-scale war revenge campaign to slaugher MikDoc when there really was nothing mentioned in his original post about hating Asians or Persians or whatever delirious thought your warped brain may have conjured up. Actually, you can add delirium to the list of possible medical conditions you may have along with the bipolar and schizophrenia disorders.

Anyway, for the future overall well-being of the medical profession, I hope you get these possible disorders addressed and properly treated.

Thanks for your cooperation in this matter,
Jupiter1

Heh, I think the only thing that can save this thread from the influx of racists is Tweetie's can of whoopass! :D

I did not realize he had a past history of racism at that point. It took DDD digging up the post showing that he is actually a racist for me to realize he wasnt being cute, but malicious. I thank DDD for pointing this out, otherwise I might have been confused on the posters true intent.

And Jupiter, you have know idea who I am, my credentials or personality so you are in no way a good judge of my character or medical ability. Dont trivialize bipolar and schizophrenia disorders on me, these serious mental afflictions affect real people and ruin lives. Yet you seem to throw around these terms as easily and arrogantly as Mikdoc throws around his racism. Seems like it is actually you and Mikdoc that need to "grow up and resolve your issues before entering medicine". And it would behoove you not to judge others ability in the medical profession til you 1) know them 2) are a medical professional.

Wow Gleevec,

There you go again with your overly sensitive, "delicate," and fragile personality. Who ever said I was making fun of or trivializing those people who are suffering from the horrible medical conditions of schizophrenia, bipolar, or delirium?? I simply was pointing out character traits in your inconsistent posts that showed similarities to those who suffer from these debilitating diseases in an attempt to make aware to you that you make no sense what-so-ever...and that you may want to get your thought processes checked out. Just like you believe that I was down-playing the above horrible diseases, you believe that MikDoc is an immigrant hater. It is obvious that you have a "precious" personality and that you are one of those pessimistic people who walk around on a daily basis with a major chip on your shoulder. Lighten up and try to smell the roses instead of believing that everyone is out to get you. Despite all the negative things you have said about me, I still think you are probably a good guy deep down inside who can be helped with a little group therapy and one-one-one counseling. Laugh a little, it'll be a good start.

Jupiter1

Originally posted by SCIronMike
However, gunners are rarely good clinicians because most of them don't have the social skills necessary to quickly form trusting relationships with patients.

Says who? There is no correlation between being a gunner and social skills. I have seen gunners charm the whole country and become presidents!!

Careful backpedaling so fast. You might trip.

Also be careful who you call a hypocrite. It was perfectly fine for the OP to make fun of gunners, but not ok to hurt DDD's feelings? Not that I agree with the OP, but what he said IN THIS POST had nothing to do with ANY races, just gunners in general. Any complaints about a previous post should stay IN THAT OTHER THREAD. He may very well be a racist, but the guy only has about 3 posts in total. You and DDD are talking all about how it's IMPOSSIBLE to know what somebody is really like just from what they post on a message board, but then you turn around and declare this guy a racist because of one post. Can you see that there might be just a *little* flaw in your logic there?

Maybe you should place more faith in your OWN interpretation skills instead of relying on other people to play amateur detective for you?

You can't change the world by posting on a message board, and I don't mean to tell anybody how to live their lives. I just wish that this board wasn't so uptight. If you look at the posts from last year, even with the big scAMCAS mix-up, they weren't at each others throats like we are this year. THAT'S why I'm asking for people to lighten up. This board is supposed to be a place to escape from the gunners and @$$holes that we have to put up with everyday. Can't we leave all this bickering in the real world where it belongs? Lighten up, please?

Originally posted by Dr.Linus
Says who? There is no correlation between being a gunner and social skills. I have seen gunners charm the whole country and become presidents!!

If you are such a character, then that is great.

All of you guys....... every single one of you need to figure out how to chill out. Damn :laugh: You'll all have a CVA before you finish your medical training.

The main point is is that there is a bunch of racist crap in real life, and it sucks, and even if its for purely comedical purposes its not the best thing (but it is more acceptable if not malicious). I thought mikdoc's post was just for fun at first, until I realized how few posts he had and that consequently a great % of his posts were racist (based on what DDD posted into this thread). It was at this point I realized it wasnt all in good fun, but someone who seems to have an agenda.

The fact is, none of us know mikdoc and his true intents. We can only go off what is on this messageboard, which doesnt say much. From what I have seen of his posts, he seems to be malicious. You might disagree and ignore his prior posts, but that is all I have to go on so that is why I consider it.

I just get suspicious when 66.7% of someone's posts are racist, and I just find it curious that everyone is flocking to defend him when he himself hasnt said "Im joking" or "No, I really hate (insert race here)". I am just going to assume, in the absence of a response going against his posting history, that he means the latter, even if he doesnt overtly state it.

Either way, this thread probably needs to be shut down. It is way past its useful lifetime.

The fact is, none of us know mikdoc and his true intents. We can only go off what is on this messageboard, which doesnt say much.

If you're going to call someone out as being a racist, you better be 100% sure. There is a line, albeit a fine one, between being a racist and being racially insensitive. Either way, you're not going to settle anything on a message board and such a thread is frankly a waste of bandwidth that is better used helping deserving people get into medical school. I'm checking out the thread because I take a personal interest when people talk trash about my little brother.

First of all, I'm not racist at all. I have friends representing every race. Second, my thread was a fun sarcastic thread making fun of all of those idiots who choose medical school for the wrong reasons, prestige, respect, and money...what little of that is left in medicine these days, anyway.

So, my reply in my other thread regarding asians and persians was a generalization. In my experience, I have found that the asian and persian races place a lot of emphasis on education...which is great. There is nothing wrong with that. Also, from my experience, I have seen that out of all of the different races, the asian and persian races seem to gravitate the most toward the more high paying professions that have a prestigious reputation associated with them. This certainly doesn't mean that I'm racist at all. I'm just making observations based on what I have found throughtout my college experience. Again, some of my best friends are asians and persians and they are truly great people.

My whole argument in my previous thread was why does someone choose medical school to get prestige and respect? Why does someone get their self-worth, self-respect, and confidence based on how others view them? If someone is really healthy minded and grounded in good morals and values, then they will never pick a career path based on superficial criteria.

So, in conclusion, all of you over-sensitive, insecure people shut the f&*% up. Thanks.

Mikdoc

And....... we got strike TWO! :clap: :clap:

Any more curse words, personal insults, or basically "jerk-like" symptoms is gonna make me put on my steel toed boots for some serious butt kickin.

Let's keep the holiday spirit alive guys. Can't you people take an off on Thanxgiving?? :rolleyes:

Tweetie Bird,

Strike two for who??...MikDoc???...I hope that is who you were not referring to. There is a whole laundry list of people who were swearing, bashing, attacking, and making hateful vicious attacks that were completely unwarranted against those people who were trying to clarify what MikeDoc finally stated---that he is by far NOT a racist, and he was just having some fun and trying to make people laugh on this Thanksgiving day for God's sake.

By the way...who is monitoring you Tweetie Bird??....I hope there is some sort of process by which you are regulated because you are totally out-of-line. You have "strike 2" against MikDoc, but all those other tons of people that must have broken every TOS rule there is by swearing, bashing, and making hateful remarks get no strikes?

What the heck is going on here?

Come on Tweetie Bird....get it together.

Jupiter1

Tweetie Bird,

Strike two for who??...MikDoc???...I hope that is who you were not referring to. There is a whole laundry list of people who were who were swearing, bashing, attacking, and making hateful vicious attacks that were completely unwarranted against those people who were trying to clarify what MikeDoc finally stated---that he is by far NOT a racist, and he was just having some fun and trying to make people laugh on this Thanksgiving day for God's sake.

By the way...who is monitoring you Tweetie Bird??....I hope there is some sort of process by which you are regulated because you are totally out-of-line. You have "strike 2" against MikDoc, but all those other tons of people that must have broken every TOS rule there is by swearing, bashing, and making hateful remarks get no strikes?

Jupiter1

Strike 2 = this is the second time I am having to come to monitor this thread and ask people to stay off the dirty language.

No, it's not a direct comment to MikDoc, (although he should have known what to expect considering his first post) but a reminder to EVERYBODY (including you, considering your insults to a few on the thread) to please refrain from immature behavior. For future reference, please don't hesitate to re-read my post and note if I am speaking to a crowd of people or just the person you seem to be defending.

As for regulating me--everybody on this board regulates me. If I do something you don't approve of, let me know. Tell me what you see me doing wrong, and I will try and be reasonable. There are times when we have to lay down the law a little faster, so threads don't snowball....(go back to read a few "troll threads" to see what I mean).

Again, I am open to constructive criticism and will adapt to any changes you'd like me to make. But let's not start accusing one another of things we did not do.

Wow Tweetie Bird,

I'm impressed...what a mature, very well articulated response. I apologize for the misunderstanding, but I don't know why the "strike 2" was not given a lot sooner because the thread started snowballing quite a long time ago. It seems your "strike 2" was given only immediately after MikDoc responded and not during the time when all hell was breaking loose prior to MikDoc's second response. But, I presume this was just coincidental, and that you were stuffing yourself with turkey and apple dumplings or something and were not able to monitor the forum throughout the night, but only got to it later in the late evening.

I understand,
Jupiter1

All the tryptophan in my body didn't allow me to check SDN all day. It was just me, myself and my turkey. :D

In all seriousness, I was out all day and finally thought I'd check SDN b/c I've been helping a friend with an essay.

Hope y'all had a great Thanksgiving!!

Yikes, watch it jupiter. Tweetie is the admin (ie dont mess with her).

Hope everyone enjoys the rest of their thanksgiving (slash day after)

Tweetie Bird,

Strike two for who??...MikDoc???...I hope that is who you were not referring to. There is a whole laundry list of people who were who were swearing, bashing, attacking, and making hateful vicious attacks that were completely unwarranted against those people who were trying to clarify what MikeDoc finally stated---that he is by far NOT a racist, and he was just having some fun and trying to make people laugh on this Thanksgiving day for God's sake.

Jupiter1

He says, "First of all, I'm not racist at all. I have friends representing every race." HAHAHAHAHA that's what they all say.

Originally posted by Mikdoc
First of all, I'm not racist at all. I have friends representing every race. Second, my thread was a fun sarcastic thread making fun of all of those idiots who choose medical school for the wrong reasons, prestige, respect, and money...what little of that is left in medicine these days, anyway.

So, my reply in my other thread regarding asians and persians was a generalization. In my experience, I have found that the asian and persian races place a lot of emphasis on education...which is great. There is nothing wrong with that. Also, from my experience, I have seen that out of all of the different races, the asian and persian races seem to gravitate the most toward the more high paying professions that have a prestigious reputation associated with them. This certainly doesn't mean that I'm racist at all. I'm just making observations based on what I have found throughtout my college experience. Again, some of my best friends are asians and persians and they are truly great people.

My whole argument in my previous thread was why does someone choose medical school to get prestige and respect? Why does someone get their self-worth, self-respect, and confidence based on how others view them? If someone is really healthy minded and grounded in good morals and values, then they will never pick a career path based on superficial criteria.

So, in conclusion, all of you over-sensitive, insecure people shut the f&*% up. Thanks.

Mikdoc

I think you should all cut that DDD guy some slack. He can't help it...he's a Trojan!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.