How do med schools check if your course was online? One of my pre-reqs is online (Biochem)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shaokahn

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So unfortunately, I have already submitted a couple secondary applications before reading that these schools DO NOT accept online courses for pre-requisites (University of Miami Miller and John's Hopkins).

All but one of my pre-reqs have been satisfied through AP or through in-person, university coursework. Of course, the AP credits appear on my university's transcript, so those are fine. The only pre-req that is online is my 4 credit "Fundamentals of Biochemistry" course (no lab - exams were monitored by that awful ProctorU company).

My college transcript does not state anywhere that my Biochem course was online - essentially, the only way you would find out is if you googled the university and course number. Would admissions officers be neurotic enough to spend the extra time investigating this information? In their secondaries, they also didn't ask whether my pre-reqs were online or not, so I never had to disclose that information.

I'm hoping that after paying the fees, my application will still be considered (even though these schools are kind of a long shot - but hey, gotta play the numbers game, right?)

I have supplemented many other AP pre-reqs with higher level coursework (Chemical Engineering degree), so I'm hoping that makes up for it. We'll see, I guess...

I almost signed up for my school's in-person biochem, but my advisor at the time convinced me to sign up for the online biochem, simply because "it will be easier." *sigh* ... so many regrets! It's hard to trust advisors sometimes :-(

Thanks for any help.

Members don't see this ad.

I think pre reqs are checked after acceptance...they'll inform you that you have to have them compete before joining the entering class (such that you can take a summer class or something). Maybe the Adcoms can clarify?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
I think pre reqs are checked after acceptance...they'll inform you that you have to have them compete before joining the entering class (such that you can take a summer class or something). Maybe the Adcoms can clarify?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maybe - if so, I have no problem doing a summer course! Especially if it meant that I had been accepted! I suppose I'll wait and see what happens. I'm mostly hoping that they at least consider my application (no one likes wasting $190) :)

I was wondering if anyone had a similar past experience and what the outcome was! Or perhaps if anyone is in the same boat.

So unfortunately, I have already submitted a couple secondary applications before reading that these schools DO NOT accept online courses for pre-requisites (University of Miami Miller and John's Hopkins).
LnSin is right about pre reqs being checked after acceptance (except Temple, which has no biochem req). But please don't write "John's Hopkins" on a secondary.

Reactions: 1 users