How many classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LaughingGas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm in process of repairing my gpa.
How many upper div bio courses should I take per quarter?
I know its many as possible with As but how many realistically without screweing up?

Members don't see this ad.

I know its many as possible with As but how many realistically without screweing up?
i would take 16hrs of classes each semester and make all A's. Ive taken 16hrs each semester and made all A's and it wasnt that bad. I think 12 is too little and 18 prob too much. 16hrs is about 4 upper bios. hope this helps

First, have you broken down your GPA: BCP (Bio, Chem, Physics), Science, Non Science, and Total GPA? If you have a good BCP but a low total science, then you can also take some other classes to up the GPA. If you haven't been in school for awhile, I'd start out with two science classes and develop some great study skills your first semester. Next semester up it to 15-16 hours of science classes. Like you said, you have to get all A's and you don't want to mess up.

http://www.adea.org/dental_educatio...tructions/Documents/2011 GPA Calculations.pdf

http://www.adea.org/dental_educatio...ocuments/2011 ADEA AADSAS Course Subjects.pdf

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the answers. This is going to be my first quarter taking only upper div bios as postbac so I'm a big scared+concerned, yet I know I have to be full-time student if I don't want to look bad.

I just noticed the time of your first post. I hope you got some sleep! You are not alone. There are many of us out here repairing our GPA's. I keep telling myself that I have to get an A or I'm not going to make it into dental school. Its a great motivator. Good luck!

Here are my thoughts on this subject. I know you are in the process of repairing your GPA and you don't want to screw things up any further. BUT, if you truly have a bad GPA, you are going to need to prove to the adcoms that you have changed. You will need to prove to them that you can handle a dental school courseload. So, if you just minimize the amount of science courses so you can improve your GPA, you are not doing anything to prove yourself. If you cannot handle, let's say 12 to 15 credits of science courses on top other courses, then you might want to re-consider d-school. D-school is 20 to 25 credits per semester of science courses. Not difficult material - just bombarded with a ton of info.

Here are my thoughts on this subject. I know you are in the process of repairing your GPA and you don't want to screw things up any further. BUT, if you truly have a bad GPA, you are going to need to prove to the adcoms that you have changed. You will need to prove to them that you can handle a dental school courseload. So, if you just minimize the amount of science courses so you can improve your GPA, you are not doing anything to prove yourself. If you cannot handle, let's say 12 to 15 credits of science courses on top other courses, then you might want to re-consider d-school. D-school is 20 to 25 credits per semester of science courses. Not difficult material - just bombarded with a ton of info.

Thank you for the answer. I know I have to prove adcome by handling rigor of courseload with good grades, but didn't want to it too much and later either drop it or get a bad grade :).
So 3? 4? Upper div bio classes per quarter is good?
Sorry I'm just worrying too much and being cautious :(