How many dental schools should I apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

imastudent

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Very common question at this time of the year. Just trying to get all the help I can get :] Money is an issue at the moment and I would really appreciate advice from those who have applied and those who were in a similar position as me. I live in California. My number one realistic/desired choice is Western in Pomona. I'm planning to apply to Western, UCSF, USC, Arizona, Midwestern in Arizona, Nevada, NYU, and maybe Baylor. Feel free to cross out some schools off this list and add schools as well!

Stats:
GPA= 3.48
sGPA= 3.3
DAT= AA 20, TS 20, PAT 25
Dental related extracurriculars = 250 hours of shadowing and 500 hours of volunteering.
Aside from this I also have work experience and +3000 hours in a leadership position.

Members don't see this ad.

If you want to save money, I'd say cross off Baylor (heard all Texas schools are OOS-unfriendly)

Take off WesternU, since I'm applying to it :p... all jokes aside, Baylor is the only one that is out of your reach. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Your DAT is too low for UCSF.. unless you have significant research experience I would remove it

Absolutely remove Baylor, as already mentioned. You don't stand a chance at any Texas schools. Your DAT and GPA are a bit low for UCSF, but you are a California resident (sorry, you can't choose where you're born). However, don't hold your breath on UCSF.

Big Hoss

Did you apply for the fap? Don't know if it's too late...

If it fits in your budget, add Oregon. I'm from California and I am going there this fall. About 40% of the class is OOS.

If it fits in your budget, add Oregon. I'm from California and I am going there this fall. About 40% of the class is OOS.
How many of the OOS are from California? I heard preference was given to Idaho, Wyoming and other surrounding states (except California).

Very common question at this time of the year. Just trying to get all the help I can get :] Money is an issue at the moment and I would really appreciate advice from those who have applied and those who were in a similar position as me. I live in California. My number one realistic/desired choice is Western in Pomona. I'm planning to apply to Western, UCSF, USC, Arizona, Midwestern in Arizona, Nevada, NYU, and maybe Baylor. Feel free to cross out some schools off this list and add schools as well!

Stats:
GPA= 3.48
sGPA= 3.3
Dental related extracurriculars = 250 hours of shadowing and 500 hours of volunteering.
Aside from this I also have work experience and +3000 hours in a leadership position.
VCU, UoMaryland, Roseman, UoLouisville, Marquette, UNE. OOS-friendly and your stats are competitive enough. As for UCSF, I've spoken to school reps and they said research is not a requirement at all.

Last edited:
How many of the OOS are from California? I heard preference was given to Idaho, Wyoming and other surrounding states (except California).
I checked last years stats and they interviewed 13 from California out of the 140 they interviewed. 1300 applied to OHSU which I believe is comparable to number of people who apply to private schools (Western and USC)

I checked last years stats and they interviewed 13 from California out of the 140 they interviewed. 1300 applied to OHSU which I believe is comparable to number of people who apply to private schools (Western and USC)
Nice! I will consider it, thanks for the heads up!

Stats:
GPA= 3.48
sGPA= 3.3

Get rid of texas schools, add about 5 more safety programs: Tufts, Boston University, Indiana (OOS), Detroit and Mercy, Touro, Lecom, Midwest-Il