How many DO schools are you applying to and your stats?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If AACOMAS accepts my retakes, cGPA ~3.2, sGPA ~3.1 (~3.8 post bac), MCAT 500, URM AA. Primary submitted this week (transcript issue). Schools ~20.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd like to post my experience mostly to sooth the minds of the "ZOMG I AM APPLYING A MONTH AFTER THE SUBMIT DATE AM I TOO LATE OMG MY LIFE MIGHT BE OVER" crowd.

Graduated undergrad 2006 with 3.38 cgpa and a 3.18 sgpa. Took MCAT in July of last year with a 30 (10/10/10). Took two classes fall semester 2014 to boost GPA to 3.43/3.28 (yes in the middle of the application cycle).

EC's: College swimmer and water polo, 6 years in a military medical unit with multiple decorations and awards, volunteering with roller derby and special olympics and other miscellaneous local activities, shadowing in ER, FM and peripheral/cardiac interventionist atmospheres.

AACOMAS was verified in mid November of 2014. Started receiving secondaries within a week. Got my first interview at LECOM-Erie in January. Further interviews were received from VCOM-CC, KCOM, ATSU-Arizona, and MUCOM. Was placed on interview hold at DMU-COM, CCOM's Chicago and Arizona Campus.

Interview at LECOM was weird- group interview and it snowed like 12 inches the day of the interview. I never heard back from them, which is apparently something they are well known for. Interviewed at KCOM on a Monday and was accepted on that Friday, had already paid for the flight for the VCOM-CC interview so I went and was accepted there as well. I accepted the KCOM acceptance and start in a month (holy !@#$). Turned down all other interviews.

Advice for interviews: Be confident, have conviction and be able to use that confidence and conviction to advocate for yourself. Remember even though its an important day, it is another day. Meaning get plenty of sleep the night before and eat the same breakfast you would eat the day of. Be friendly to everyone from fellow interviewees to the schools janitorial staff, not just because you think you're being watched- but because being rude is a character flaw and you shouldn't do it. Wear a professional suit, but don't be afraid of yourself- so if you'd wear plaid, wear a normal shirt with a semi-conservative plaid tie.

So there you go. I applied late and got in, I might have gotten lucky but at least that might answer some peoples question of "I wont be able to apply till July...SHOULD I JUST GO AHEAD AND KILL MYSELF." Don't do that, especially if you're military...I don't want to have to sit through more suicide prevention briefings.

Wait... Erie just never gave you any kind of answer after your interview???

3.2/3.7/31

Applied to 21, filled out 15 secondaries so far. Not sure if I want to do any more.

Members don't see this ad :)
~3.7 cgpa/sgpa. 28 mcat. I ended up only applying to 4 DO schools this cycle. Hopefully I'll have no ragrets about this decision in the end.

So many MD schools.. about 25 of them.
I would have said 5 DO schools, but one of the schools I applied to told me my application was incomplete. I tried calling and emailing the school about it but got no appropriate response from them, so maybe it's more like 4.5 DO schools I've applied to.

You'll be fine. I'm betting 8 IIs, 3 acceptances.
How many do you think ill get?? I have slighty higher GPA and MCAT. Im complete at 11 schools, and I got 4 II's thus far. All II's are from "lower tier" schools though. Still no answer from 4 "mid tier" and 3 "upper tier" schools.

Upper tier DO schools are always a crapshoot. They're generally looking for intangibles. Mid tiers are a toss up. You'll probably get 1-2 mid tier invites, and 2-3 acceptances, with 1 wild card slot reserved for a top tier.

Upper tier DO schools are always a crapshoot. They're generally looking for intangibles. Mid tiers are a toss up. You'll probably get 1-2 mid tier invites, and 2-3 acceptances, with 1 wild card slot reserved for a top tier.
Im really hoping so. I had one interview already and I feel like I performed horribly. The pressure gets to me and I feel so unnatural unfortunately. Its also hard for me to display enthusiasm because I feel like I sound so rehearsed!

Im really hoping so. I had one interview already and I feel like I performed horribly. The pressure gets to me and I feel so unnatural unfortunately. Its also hard for me to display enthusiasm because I feel like I sound so rehearsed!
Eh, just don't **** it up too bad and you'll be fine. The interview is less of a chance to get the position as it is to lose it- you've already got the spot when you're in the interview chair so long as you don't screw up so badly they have second thoughts. You don't need to be amazing, just don't perform poorly. And work on not sounding rehearsed.

Reactions: 1 user

What are considered low tier, mid tier and upper tier for DO?

Members don't see this ad :)
I posted on this thread many months ago, so here is an update.
3.8x cGPA/sGPA 25 MCAT, applied to 29 DO schools. So far, 12 IIs and 3 acceptances (only went to 4 interviews, but plan on going to a few more).

3.8x cGPA/sGPA 25 MCAT, applied to 29 DO schools. So far, 12 IIs and 3 acceptances (only went to 4 interviews, but plan on going to a few more).
do you feel you performed well at your interviews?

AfBqi3A.gif

anigif_enhanced-buzz-10381-1327463703-1.gif

the-rock.gif

Me: :claps::bow::claps::nod::thumbup:

Reactions: 3 users
do you feel you performed well at your interviews?
I think I literally killed my interviews. As I left each interview, I had a good feeling that I was going to be accepted. Not to sound arrogant or anything. I prepped hard and gave well-versed/thoughtful answers. It's not like I gave answers they had never heard of, but the WAY you say things makes all the difference.

Last edited:
3.1 sGPA, 3.4 cGPA, 31 MCAT. Applied to 10 DO schools.

Reactions: 1 users
~3.0 sGPA, ~3.14 cGPA, 36 MCAT, SMP, Applied to ~42 schools (lol)

Where are your 3 acceptances if you dont mind me asking?

I'm seriously considering DMU or KCU if I'm accepted.
BCOM, ACOM, and CUSOM. Those are both great schools, I would have a hard time making a decision if I was accepted to both of those.

it is not surprising. Despite common hype about increasing competitiveness of DO each year, as long as you have a low-average grades (3.2-3.3) average-ish MCAT (24-25 or 500), and apply broadly you will probably get in.

FWIW...there is another person here with around a 3.0 and 26 who already has been accepted into 2 schools. I also received a PM from someone with around a 3.4 sgpa and 24 that was accepted to BCOM and has another ii.

I can only afford two or three without the fee waiver...but im highly considering azcom..and idk what else...

Stats ~67 LizzyM (3.73/3.79/31 mcat)

it is not surprising. Despite common hype about increasing competitiveness of DO each year, as long as you have a low-average grades (3.2-3.3) average-ish MCAT (24-25 or 500), and apply broadly you will probably get in.

FWIW...there is another person here with around a 3.0 and 26 who already has been accepted into 2 schools. I also received a PM from someone with around a 3.4 sgpa and 24 that was accepted to BCOM and has another ii.

Think of it this way. Every year there are newer schools opening up, so those people with a somewhat non-competitive application will have the same chance every year. If they get into an established school, then its icing on the cake.

But my advice on applying with a better application will be the same. There was someone on here who had a 3.1 and 25 MCAT who got in last cycle. However, this person had only 2 interviews. So if you can wait another year to boost you application then do it.

I think I literally killed my interviews. As I left each interview, I had a good feeling that I was going to be accepted. Not to sound arrogant or anything. I prepped hard and gave well-versed/thoughtful answers. It's not like I gave answers they had never heard of, but the WAY you say things makes all the difference.
This is weird 8 days later...but I'm going to ask anyway. What did you do to prep for interviews? What did you do that you felt helped prepare you the most? I've got my first on Monday and I'm starting to get a bit nervous.

This is weird 8 days later...but I'm going to ask anyway. What did you do to prep for interviews? What did you do that you felt helped prepare you the most? I've got my first on Monday and I'm starting to get a bit nervous.

You'll be fine dude. Just relax and treat it like you're just getting to know each other. Be cool, honest, and friendly to everyone.

Interviews are like a date. You go there and just be yourself. Hopefully you'll get some. Acceptances I mean.

Reactions: 3 users
Aside from being yourself at interviews. I made a word doc with every possible interview question that could be asked, and made sure I had a good response to each one. It paid off. Some people prefer to just wing it, but that is not for me. Find what works for you and makes you confident, then run with it.

Applied to 10 schools, 3.8c, 3.8s and 30 (10,10,10). I might add more schools but I'm not sure.

3.6 sGPA, 3.5 cGPA, 26 mcat

applied to 22 schools, so far 9 II, 2 acceptances (attended 2 so far) with 4 more scheduled but will hopefully only have to attend 2 or 3 more :xf:.

Last edited:

applied to 20 schools, so far 9 II, 2 acceptances (attended 2 so far) with 4 more scheduled but will hopefully only have to attend 2 or 3 more :xf:.
Woah congratz man. Mind if I ask where you got accepted?

applied to 20 schools, so far 9 II, 2 acceptances (attended 2 so far) with 4 more scheduled but will hopefully only have to attend 2 or 3 more :xf:.
This is impressive, congrats! What were your EC's like?

3.4c/3.6s. 518 MCAT.

8 DO applied. 2 DO II so far.