How many DO schools are you applying to and your stats?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
1. You applied EXTREMELY LATE in the MD cycle with AVERAGE MD stats. The DO cycle is different in both logistics and stats, which is why I posted this on a Pre-DO forum and not the allo forum.
2. How many schools did you apply to? Did you apply to the right schools with your stats? Did you apply to any DO schools at all (from your post I am assuming this is a no, but I don't like assuming). I suppose I should also mention that I applied only DO, knowing that my GPA and timing would not have allowed me any chances on the allo side. I did my research and made sure I knew what I was doing even though I applied late, if you didn't do your research (which it really doesn't sound like you did) then that is your fault. If anyone else is reading this then they are on the right track as far as doing their research and due diligence in applying to medical school, I applaud them for that, and urge them to do further research.

That is not true, because plenty of people say that it was fine submitting primaries by July (which is what I did) and then I got secondaries by mid-late August. No, I did not apply to any DO schools because at the time, I knew DO's don't emphasize research nearly as much as MD's. I had excellent EC's (publications, years of research, shadowing and volunteering experiences, etc.) I already mentioned I applied looking at MSAR and which schools accepted people with my stats.

I applied to 15 MD schools, and not one offered an interview. I was completed in my in-state schools by mid-August. All the others were before mid-September.

Although you claim DO is a different beast; while that is true, DO is getting more competitive nowadays, and almost becoming like MD stats. Even if you look at the acceptance rates, they're still on par with MD.

Your GPA was on par average with DO stats but your MCAT was significantly higher with good EC's. Didn't I mention that it was fine to apply later with better than average stats?

Members don't see this ad.

That is not true, because plenty of people say that it was fine submitting primaries by July (which is what I did) and then I got secondaries by mid-late August. No, I did not apply to any DO schools because at the time, I knew DO's don't emphasize research nearly as much as MD's. I had excellent EC's (publications, years of research, shadowing and volunteering experiences, etc.)

I applied to 15 MD schools, and not one offered an interview. I was completed in my in-state schools by mid-August. All the others were before mid-September.

Although you claim DO is a different beast; while that is true, DO is getting more competitive nowadays, and almost becoming like MD stats. Even if you look at the acceptance rates, they're still on par with MD.
You just said you applied in September, now you are saying July and August? Which is it? Also the fact that you still only applied to only MD schools with an MCAT and GPA either at or below the matriculant average for 2014 doesnt change that part of my argument.

The reason why you did or did not apply DO is irrelevant.

DO is getting more competitive, but again I did my research before I applied and knew that my MCAT was 3 points above the 2012 matriculated average for DO schools and my EC's and LOR's were good even for medical school applicants. So that's why I applied DO, which is then why I posted my story in the DO forums and not the allo forums. I realize that those with a 26 or even 28 MCAT may not have my luck, which is why I mentioned my stats at the beginning and even said at the end "I might have gotten lucky," then qualified why I was making the post not so much to say that everyone who applies late will get in but to say that it can be done and the fact that you applied a little late isnt such a big deal that you need to post the ten billionth thread on "do I have a chance if I have applied late."

Reactions: 1 user
You just said you applied in September, now you are saying July and August? Which is it? Also the fact that you still only applied to only MD schools with an MCAT and GPA either at or below the matriculant average for 2014 doesnt change that part of my argument.

The reason why you did or did not apply DO is irrelevant.

DO is getting more competitive, but again I did my research before I applied and knew that my MCAT was 3 points above the 2012 matriculated average for DO schools and my EC's and LOR's were good even for medical school applicants. So that's why I applied DO, which is then why I posted my story in the DO forums and not the allo forums. I realize that those with a 26 or even 28 MCAT may not have my luck, which is why I mentioned my stats at the beginning and even said at the end "I might have gotten lucky," then qualified why I was making the post not so much to say that everyone who applies late will get in but to say that it can be done and the fact that you applied a little late isnt such a big deal that you need to post the ten billionth thread on "do I have a chance if I have applied late."

You should probably reread my post. I said I completed by September. I submitted my primary in July and secondaries in between August and September. It takes about a month to verify GPA from AMCAS. My stats were above average for my in-state MD school. I also said I used MSAR to determine which schools I had a decent shot at. I was well within average for them. I had 5 years of research and publications and other EC's involving healthcare.

I've been on allopathic forums last year, and there were plenty of posts like yours where people applied late in the cycle and still got in. While they do offer hope, that's not what the general consensus is. I agree that people can get lucky and get in, but nobody can really count on luck and should try to maximize chances. When I never received an interview by end of December/January, I had a gut feeling I wasn't getting any interviews at MD schools even though people already said interviews were still going on.

I had many others read my PS and application, and nobody saw any red flags. Even my health committee advisor was surprised. He told me that maybe my application was late.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldnt freak out applying "late." Not saying you should but I'd say a lot of premeds just hold off on applying said cycle until the next...and only a smaller FEW take it on the chin and apply late. So it isn't as bad as one may think.

I think both of you have a point, but I think NontradDO is emphasizing that 30 schools (double the number you applied to on the md side) when you have stats in the ballpark may not be necessary. Neither is the extreme stress. Especially when applying this early. Especially this year, with the staggered MCAT dates and a new test. Caution is fine, but there's a line.

Worth considering is the fact you got no interviews, which could also suggest something in your app didn't jive with the adcoms. I'm not saying that's what happened, but it's another extraneous factor we can't control for.

I need to stay off this place until my MCAT. Too much "AAAAhHHHH"

Reactions: 1 users
I agree, the MCAT is really going to change how the application process works. Good luck on your MCAT.

I guess my point is that applying later won't do you any favors. If you need to get something done before you apply, do so. Holding off to apply the next cycle can also hurt you if you didn't do anything for the year preceding the cycle.

You should probably reread my post. I said I completed by September.
You completed? For AACOMAS the term "verified" is used for applications that are actually sent out to schools with the GPA calculations and such. When you said "completed" I took it as you submitted for verification in September, probably a terminology mix up

Still something seems fishy in your case. Either way I'm done debating this because as I have addressed the fact that I applied DO with above average DO stats, and you are arguing from a perspective of applying with at or below MD stats. It's comparable to me saying "I ate an apple everyday and got healthy," and you countering with "that won't happen for everyone, I know, because I ate a cheeseburger everyday and I didn't get healthy." Our situations are not comparable, good luck in this cycle.

You completed? For AACOMAS the term "verified" is used for applications that are actually sent out to schools with the GPA calculations and such. When you said "completed" I took it as you submitted for verification in September, probably a terminology mix up

Still something seems fishy in your case. Either way I'm done debating this because as I have addressed the fact that I applied DO with above average DO stats, and you are arguing from a perspective of applying with at or below MD stats. It's comparable to me saying "I ate an apple everyday and got healthy," and you countering with "that won't happen for everyone, I know, because I ate a cheeseburger everyday and I didn't get healthy." Our situations are not comparable, good luck in this cycle.

But you admitted your situation was the outlier, while my situation would be the norm. Most people on here would be more in my position than yours. Already in this thread, I already saw a couple of people who had no love from MD schools with stats similar to mine. In fact, our situation is a little similar, since I had average stats and applied a lot earlier than you did. I also had amazing EC's with lots of research experience. You had average/below average stats for GPA and higher stats for MCAT and good EC's.

In any case, I'm trying to maximize my chances in getting accepted into as many DO schools as possible, and most people should do the same. That was my point of my whole argument. Your argument was trying to give hope to others that it is fine to apply late and they shouldn't freak out. You may still get in. While that is fine, but the best advice is to apply as early as you can and as soon as possible. I still don't advise freaking out because you applied late, because there's nothing much else you can do. It really depends on timing, and if people can afford to wait another year if they decide to apply later in the cycle.

Is it normal for students to apply +15 schools or is this just SDN being SDN? At my UG the students always applied <10
It's really stat dependent. Or some people just don't apply to a lot because they don't have time for all the secondaries. I work with a bunch of techs and scribes who applied, all less than 10 schools. One guy literally applied to only one program.

Do you mind sharing your stats?
3.4 cGPA and science, 26 MCAT. I only applied to 4 because I applied in Feb and didn't want to waste a lot of money when I figured I would have to reapply. For sanity sake, never apply in February. Just don't.

Reactions: 2 users
3.4 cGPA and science, 26 MCAT. I only applied to 4 because I applied in Feb and didn't want to waste a lot of money when I figured I would have to reapply. For sanity sake, never apply in February. Just don't.

That's amazing... Congrats on your acceptance. I already submitted my DO apps- hope I get in somewhere. I definitely don't want to go through all of this again.

That's amazing... Congrats on your acceptance. I already submitted my DO apps- hope I get in somewhere. I definitely don't want to go through all of this again.
Best of luck! Don't underestimate how much those secondary prompts count when it comes to ii's.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm up to 24 now. Such anxiety about not applying to enough schools

what are your EC's like?

250 hours and counting over 1.5 years as a volunteer in a level 1 trauma ED (mix of volunteering and shadowing)
Research in neuropathology, but it was only an internship for one summer
About 80 hours shadowing DO ED, MD ED physicians
10 hours shadowing/language partnering with an anesthesiologist in Spain (talked a lot about healthcare in socialized vs american medicine)
Study abroad in Spain to improve Spanish speaking skills (level B2 after that term)

Volunteer board member for 2.5 years for a group dedicated to alleviating poverty, hunger, and homelessness in my university's student population. I helped build the group from about 6 members to the current 15 members. We served about 1,100 students each term.

Also considered disadvantaged because neither of my parents have a college degree

Well, I wasn't as lucky as you. I had a 3.71 cGPA and a 3.65 sGPA with a 31 MCAT, and did not get a single interview even though my application was completed by September (this was MD.) I'm a firm believer now that applying early is key. I can't make that same mistake this year. I only applied to schools that were in my range in MSAR. No Ivies. I had a friend with a 4.0 GPA and a 35 MCAT and applied to MD schools in September. Only got 1 interview and luckily got in.

I had that same mentality that it was okay to apply a little later. This is my experience, and I believe this is what happens to most people based on what I've read on SDN and friends. I don't want to incite panic here, but it is in everyone's best interest to apply as early as possible.

Not all people actually know this either. Maybe DO is completely different, but I'm not going to take that chance.

Someone I know applied in November for MD schools. They ended up at a decent MD but regret not applying early. This particular applicant felt he would have had a chance at the top tier schools.

I know someone who applied to DO schools with a Lizzy M of ~63 in November/December. Got an acceptance by late January.

is A.T still even worth applying to?

3.35S (with informal post bacc included), 3.4something (not calculated yet), 21 mcat first try, 24 second try (7,8,9), 3.95 undergrad post-bac 18 credits all upper level science
lots of EC, DO letter, and other good LOR

250 hours and counting over 1.5 years as a volunteer in a level 1 trauma ED (mix of volunteering and shadowing)
Research in neuropathology, but it was only an internship for one summer
About 80 hours shadowing DO ED, MD ED physicians
10 hours shadowing/language partnering with an anesthesiologist in Spain (talked a lot about healthcare in socialized vs american medicine)
Study abroad in Spain to improve Spanish speaking skills (level B2 after that term)

Volunteer board member for 2.5 years for a group dedicated to alleviating poverty, hunger, and homelessness in my university's student population. I helped build the group from about 6 members to the current 15 members. We served about 1,100 students each term.

Also considered disadvantaged because neither of my parents have a college degree
i wouldnt be too worried with EC's like that, given you have good scores, do you?

i wouldnt be too worried with EC's like that, given you have good scores, do you?

3.30cGPA/3.23sGPA/27MCAT(8,9,10)

After my retake this term, it should be 3.34cGPA/3.27sGPA/27MCAT(8,9,10)

3.30cGPA/3.23sGPA/27MCAT(8,9,10)

After my retake this term, it should be 3.34cGPA/3.27sGPA/27MCAT(8,9,10)
I mean...you cant be too safe but I personally would think 13 +/- 3 schools would suffice. I think @user3 is the subject expert though.

c3.83/ s3.78 24/23MCAT, applied to 22 schools.

Last edited:
3.5 cgpa 3.5 sgpa 31 MCAT, low~mediocre ECs, applying to 23 DO schools and 19 MD schools, Reapplicant

is A.T still even worth applying to?

3.35S (with informal post bacc included), 3.4something (not calculated yet), 21 mcat first try, 24 second try (7,8,9), 3.95 undergrad post-bac 18 credits all upper level science
lots of EC, DO letter, and other good LOR
Are you wanting to know if it's worth applying to because of your stats are or you wanting to know if they are decent schools to go to? I think you could apply to both with a chance since both are heavy on EC'S. Your MCAT is a little low but not enough to completely count you out.

3.5 cgpa 3.5 sgpa 31 MCAT, low~mediocre ECs, applying to 23 DO schools and 19 MD schools, Reapplicant

Reapplicant for DO or MD? Or both? We have similar stats. I noticed in your previous posts that you are not a good writer and a bad interviewer.

Can you care to explain what you mean by a bad interviewer?

Reapplicant for MD. I have a hard time passing interviews for jobs so I figure it might be the same for med school. My on the spot answering abilities aren't great. However last cycle I only applied to my state school and a few others. Applying broadly this year!

Reapplicant for MD. I have a hard time passing interviews for jobs so I figure it might be the same for med school. My on the spot answering abilities aren't great. However last cycle I only applied to my state school and a few others. Applying broadly this year!

Hmm..which state are you from? In any case, most people aren't good with on the spot answering.

Being an Asian male sucks. =(

Are you wanting to know if it's worth applying to because of your stats are or you wanting to know if they are decent schools to go to? I think you could apply to both with a chance since both are heavy on EC'S. Your MCAT is a little low but not enough to completely count you out.
I meant because of my stats sorry! lol

AACOMAS GPA is 3.89, sGPA 3.85, MCAT 29. Applying to 11 DO schools.

We have similar stats. do you mind sharing what schools you are applying to?
No prob. TCOM, AZCOM, CCOM, NSU, PCOM, PCOM-GA, ATSOMA, ATSOMA-AZ, KCOM, RVU, LECOM-B.

3.6/3.55 29 MCAT

6 DO schools and 5 MD (in-state) schools for a grand total of 11 schools

Money is really tight for me, but do you think that's enough? @user3

My list is:
DO
MSUCOM in state
CCOM
PCOM
NSUCOM
KCU
MUCOM

MD
WSUSOM (undergrad here and give preference to their own students)
MSU CHM
Oakland
Western Michigan (new school)
Central Michigan (new school)
Good list but just a heads up wsu does not give preference to its own students unless you're in the Med Start program. I have friends with 30+ from Wayne State and they didn't get in. Msucom is a for sure though . I would drop central and add of the lecoms just to be safe .

Good list but just a heads up wsu does not give preference to its own students unless you're in the Med Start program. I have friends with 30+ from Wayne State and they didn't get in. Msucom is a for sure though . I would drop central and add of the lecoms just to be safe .

Why delete central? Seems like a good option if I have no other acceptances with it being in state and all. Also, I'm not sure if I could handle how strict lecom is. I don't think I'd really be happy there although I've heard it's a good school.

Edit* I added RVU COM and DMUCOM to my DO list as well

Why delete central? Seems like a good option if I have no other acceptances with it being in state and all. Also, I'm not sure if I could handle how strict lecom is. I don't think I'd really be happy there although I've heard it's a good school.

Edit* I added RVU COM and DMUCOM to my DO list as well
I have a friend at Central who says there's a lot of falling out and inner conflict between the staff. So stability is a little shaky but it's your choice. Eh dressing up is that bad, but everyone's different.
Good luck though I was also a Wayne state warrior ha

cGPA 3.88, sGPA 3.72, MCAT 30, applying to 15-16... reapplying to about 7-8 MD (didn't apply DO last year due to lack of DO shadowing/relationships with DOs, which I am happy to say I now have, and as a result have developed a strong interest in DO, woop woop).

Last edited:
I have a friend at Central who says there's a lot of falling out and inner conflict between the staff. So stability is a little shaky but it's your choice. Eh dressing up is that bad, but everyone's different.
All these folks from Michigan, loving it. I hear a lot of people knock Central because they're a mission school. But there mission is just to improve the quality of health care in that region of Michigan. Which is cool with me since I live there.

Hmm. Good to know. Thanks for the info!

Nothing wrong with central in my mind, it's just what I have been hearing down the grapevine.

3.41 cGPA, 3.45 sGPA, 35 MCAT

I will be applying to 7-8 DO schools. Should I apply more broadly, or will 7-8 DO schools suffice with my stats? I'm also applying to 37 MD schools, which is why I'm limiting my DO schools!

I will be applying to 7-8 DO schools. Should I apply more broadly, or will 7-8 DO schools suffice with my stats? I'm also applying to 37 MD schools, which is why I'm limiting my DO schools!
Just pick 7-8 like you said and you should be fine with those stats. Nice job with the MCAT.

whoa, thats intense

Do you Guys think applying to 17 do schools and 22 md schools is reasonable with a 3.7 GPa/3.6 sgpa and a 29 mcat?

I would think you could get away with less DO schools as long as you have good experiences to go with the stats. If you have the money though, then go for it. Better safe than sorry.

I would think you could get away with less DO schools as long as you have good experiences to go with the stats. If you have the money though, then go for it. Better safe than sorry.

Fair enough. Yea you never know. This is my first time applying with intent on it being my last time applying

Fair enough. Yea you never know. This is my first time applying with intent on it being my last time applying
What schools are you applying to? Also you don't have any red flags do you?

3.7/3.6 and 28 mcat, applying to 15 DO and 10 MD. Good luck to everyone!

Pretty much all low tier md schools that I may have any chance of getting into and many mid tier/top tier do schools. I weeded out all schools with extreme in state bias as well.

My first mcat score is a red flag as I scored in the teens during some very trying times( family deaths, severe performance crippling illness).

If being a nontrad is a red flag then that too. I've been involved in clinical activities during my nontrad years such as phlebotomy, shadowing and volunteering.

I cannot think of any red flags besides the 1st mcat really. oh I did worse senior year in school due to the illness I speak of so slight downward trend (went from 3.8 to 3.7 senior year).

Ok that's all the red flags. I never had an IA , misdemeanor , felony etc. if parking tickets are a red flag I have a few of those.
Are you from Michigan? I wish you all the luck in the world dude but do are more in your favor because most of the md schools average MCAT scores