How many DO schools to apply to with my stats?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopelesRomantic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For personal reasons I won't elaborate on here, I plan on applying to over 30 schools (MD&DO). No, I don't have a state school.

I have a 29 MCAT (9 BS, 11 VR, 9 PS) and a 3.75cgpa/3.8sgpa from a top10 ugrad. I'd say I have fairly good/extensive research, volunteer, clinical, shadowing and leadership experiences. I'm also getting a letter of rec from a DO. I'm also a first-generation White/Hispanic, but I'm nearly certain I wouldn't count as a URM.

Generally speaking, in your opinion how many (and which) DO schools should I apply to?

In addition to many low/mid-tier MD schools, right now I plan on applying to PCOM, CCOM, TCOM (I have fairly strong ties to TX), UMDNJ-SOM, TouroNY, NYCOM and NSU.

Do you think I am fairly safe with these schools? Or is there a significant chance I won't get into any of them, in which case I should apply to which other schools?

I appreciate your help.

Members don't see this ad.

For personal reasons I won't elaborate on here, I plan on applying to over 30 schools (MD&DO). No, I don't have a state school.

I have a 29 MCAT (9 BS, 11 VR, 9 PS) and a 3.75cgpa/3.8sgpa from a top10 ugrad. I'd say I have fairly good/extensive research, volunteer, clinical, shadowing and leadership experiences. I'm also getting a letter of rec from a DO. I'm also a first-generation White/Hispanic, but I'm nearly certain I wouldn't count as a URM.

Generally speaking, in your opinion how many (and which) DO schools should I apply to?

In addition to many low/mid-tier MD schools, right now I plan on applying to PCOM, CCOM, TCOM (I have fairly strong ties to TX), UMDNJ-SOM, TouroNY, NYCOM and NSU.

Do you think I am fairly safe with these schools? Or is there a significant chance I won't get into any of them, in which case I should apply to which other schools?

I appreciate your help.

Your stats would make you competitive at any DO school. Apply to the ones you could see yourself attending. As long as you don't have any big red flags on your app or have the interviewing skills of a poached egg I think you will likely find success this cycle.

+1

All DO schools should be in your reach, as well as several MD schools. I would cut your list of schools in half, and save the money for going to interviews.

If you are truly first generation Hispanic (Anglo mix?) and can speak a fairly convincing Spanish, you have your selling point right there. As long as you don't have any glaring problems, you will have more acceptances than you will know what to do with. You can, and should apply URM.

dsoz

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm assuming you're looking to be in/around large cities? Think you have a pretty good list there. Might want to add a school or two that's less competitive than those just because you never know how things turn out. I was offered an interview at 4 out of the 5 of those school that I applied to with similar but slightly lower stats ( I didn't have a dean's letter for PCOM).

I appreciate your help.

If you're sensible with the MD schools you apply to, I think you have a high chance of gaining acceptance to a MD school. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if you end up having a choice of MD schools. If you can apply URM you should.

I don't know too much about Touro, NYCOM, or UMDNJ. But the rest of your DO list looks strong. I might add DMU, but if you absolutely think you wouldn't be able to stomach the location then forget I mentioned it. If you apply Day 1, I think you have a very high chance of gaining acceptance to NSU-COM. South Florida has a huge medical community. NSU has been around a lot longer than most of the MD schools in FL, and decades longer than LECOM-B (the other DO school in FL). The way NSU does admissions you definitely don't want to apply with your stats too late.

Chances at MD are pretty decent. If you have a drop of humility in your interviews you'll be in to many of those DO schools.

I'm assuming you're looking to be in/around large cities? Think you have a pretty good list there. Might want to add a school or two that's less competitive than those just because you never know how things turn out. I was offered an interview at 4 out of the 5 of those school that I applied to with similar but slightly lower stats ( I didn't have a dean's letter for PCOM).

Wait! Serious!? PCOM didn't interview you because you didn't have a dean's letter?

Hmm, my "What are my Chances Thread" isn't getting to much love, so I'll post it here. Looking for feedback on which schools I should apply.

3.5 cGPA
3.2 sGPA (dropped from 3.28 since math courses aren't included)
4.0 Masters GPA
MCAT - Expected a 27-30

So far I plan on applying to TCOM and NSU-COM. Anyone else care to chime in?

Hmm, my "What are my Chances Thread" isn't getting to much love, so I'll post it here. Looking for feedback on which schools I should apply.

3.5 cGPA
3.2 sGPA (dropped from 3.28 since math courses aren't included)
4.0 Masters GPA
MCAT - Expected a 27-30

So far I plan on applying to TCOM and NSU-COM. Anyone else care to chime in?

I have no idea what your ECs are. If they are respectable then apply Day 1 and you stand a good chance at NSU-COM.

It's the number one pick for me--so lets hope so! Ty

NeuroLAX is an NSU student, so he's a great resource. One thing I'll add is that you'll want to nail that MCAT for NSU, they seem to favor higher than average MCAT scores.

While TCOM needs a solid MCAT, but looks harder at GPA. You look good either way, as long as your GPA isnt based on grade replacement, as TCOM doesnt play that game (you probably knew that though)

And yes to apply day 1!!!

Wait! Serious!? PCOM didn't interview you because you didn't have a dean's letter?

I didn't even turn in a secondary because of no dean's letter. My undergrad was almost 20 years ago (yes, I am that old). Nobody at my institution would still be there. They are all dead or retired. I called and left two voicemail, and emailed three times and got no response from my undergrad Dean's office.

I didn't have any bad things on there, and pretty much had a good undergrad record (Cum Laude and all that). No institutional actions, no disciplinary actions, no academic issues... But no response from my old school. :thumbdown:

PCOM would not budge on the requirement, so I didn't waste my secondary on them.

dsoz

NeuroLAX is an NSU student, so he's a great resource. One thing I'll add is that you'll want to nail that MCAT for NSU, they seem to favor higher than average MCAT scores.

And yes to apply day 1!!!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Yeah--I'm busting my butt for the MCAT, but I'm also securing letters from NSU Alumni.

Currently set to shadow one NSU doc, and am working on getting to know a second NSU doc to shadow her as well.

Wish me luck,

and sorry to OP for hijacking--best of luck to you!

Members don't see this ad :)
That looks like a solid list. I interviewed at a couple of those schools and was very impressed with them. Only apply to schools you'd realistically matriculate at if you were accepted.

They labeled my secondary as incomplete until I got a Dean's letter from my degree granting institution. They said it wouldn't be reviewed until they got that letter, but seeing how long it took me to even realize that my app was incomplete (no form of notification until I made a status inquiry) and get the letter, I doubt they even reviewed my app after it being so late in the cycle.

They also said that since I'm a non-trad I could get one from where I did my post-bac, but they preferred the degree granting institution.

...Only apply to schools you'd realistically matriculate at if you were accepted.

+1 for this specifically. There's no point wasting money and time (yours and theirs) on an app for a school that you wouldn't attend anyways.

Remember guys, TCOM is still a state school that takes the majority of its students from Texas. Even if you have the stats they are looking for, you'll want to be a little bit on the high side, since they only take a small percentage of out-of-staters, even with ties to Texas. Texas residency is the best thing to have on your application.

They labeled my secondary as incomplete until I got a Dean's letter from my degree granting institution. They said it wouldn't be reviewed until they got that letter, but seeing how long it took me to even realize that my app was incomplete (no form of notification until I made a status inquiry) and get the letter, I doubt they even reviewed my app after it being so late in the cycle.

They also said that since I'm a non-trad I could get one from where I did my post-bac, but they preferred the degree granting institution.

My situation was similar, though they didn't tell me that I could get one from my post-bac. I didn't get the dean's letter and just gave up so that's where my application stopped. I already had an acceptance where I was happy so didn't pursue it.

If you're sensible with the MD schools you apply to, I think you have a high chance of gaining acceptance to a MD school. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if you end up having a choice of MD schools. If you can apply URM you should.

I don't know too much about Touro, NYCOM, or UMDNJ. But the rest of your DO list looks strong. I might add DMU, but if you absolutely think you wouldn't be able to stomach the location then forget I mentioned it. If you apply Day 1, I think you have a very high chance of gaining acceptance to NSU-COM. South Florida has a huge medical community. NSU has been around a lot longer than most of the MD schools in FL, and decades longer than LECOM-B (the other DO school in FL). The way NSU does admissions you definitely don't want to apply with your stats too late.

Thank you (and everyone else) for responding.

Two questions about your response (that was also brought up in other responses):

1. How do I go about being "sensible with the MD schools" I apply to? What does this actually mean? I plan on applying to over 20 low/midtier MD schools. Could you or anyone else be more specific as to which MD's I should apply to? I know this the pre-DO forum, but generally I'd like to apply to MD's in the same city/area as my list of DO's.

2. I really don't understand "if you can apply URM, you should." I was under the impression no one "applies URM" or not; rather, they simply state their race and ethnicity and let the schools do what they will with the info. For the record, I'm first-generation white and Spanish, and I speak "Good" Spanish on the AMCAS's 5-value scale from Basic to Native. That's why I said I'm almost certain I wouldn't be counted as a URM. Care to enlighten me?

Again, I really appreciate everyone's help.

Thank you (and everyone else) for responding.

Two questions about your response (that was also brought up in other responses):

1. How do I go about being "sensible with the MD schools" I apply to? What does this actually mean? I plan on applying to over 20 low/midtier MD schools. Could you or anyone else be more specific as to which MD's I should apply to? I know this the pre-DO forum, but generally I'd like to apply to MD's in the same city/area as my list of DO's.

2. I really don't understand "if you can apply URM, you should." I was under the impression no one "applies URM" or not; rather, they simply state their race and ethnicity and let the schools do what they will with the info. For the record, I'm first-generation white and Spanish, and I speak "Good" Spanish on the AMCAS's 5-value scale from Basic to Native. That's why I said I'm almost certain I wouldn't be counted as a URM. Care to enlighten me?

Again, I really appreciate everyone's help.

1. Don't apply to too many top programs simply because you went to a top 10 undergrad and have a nice GPA. Apply broadly to schools that interest you and where you legitimately have a decent chance. I'll defer to pre-meds and suggest posting more on the pre-allo forum for more accurate responses from applicants with similar stats as you.

2. There's a question on the AMCAS app that specifically asks you to mark/check whether you wish to be considered for URM status. Looking back, I probably should have marked it. I did put my ethnicity, so they should have seen that I'm not just an American Caucasian, but I decided against marking URM because I've never been disadvantaged financially, and I've never lived in an area of the country with disparities in access to healthcare. I guess I was just a little confused about what actually constitutes "URM". Oh well.

Download the MSAR and look at individual school stats that you are interested in.

Note the median MCAT, GPA, and also the score in the subsections. For example, you'll see some some schools don't have any students in the 10-90th percentile with a 9 in a science subsection -- those schools will obviously be unlikely (although still possible) to land.

Do a search in SDN for "LizzyM score" and look for a helpful spreadsheet SDN users have made to make use of that score. Once you read about it, this will more make sense (if you don't know about it already).

Lastly, take a look at what percentage out of state applicants are interviewed and accepted. For example, there's not much use applying to some of the NJ schools if you're OOS.

Take a strong look at some of the DO schools, there are great programs out there with placements in all specialties. I'd rather be a physician with the specialty of my choice than not a physician or stuck in a specialty I don't want.

Good luck!

Your numbers are great, so I believe you'll get plenty of interviews!

I appreciate your help.

I had no idea about PCOM. I guess I can save myself some money on that one and not apply since I'm pretty sure that the Dean of Nursing at my school probably won't want to write me a letter for something not related promoting nursing, lol.

This thread is encouraging. I have similar science and cumulative GPAs. :)

Good luck! :luck:

I had no idea about PCOM. I guess I can save myself some money on that one and not apply since I'm pretty sure that the Dean of Nursing at my school probably won't want to write me a letter for something not related promoting nursing, lol.

This thread is encouraging. I have similar science and cumulative GPAs. :)

Good luck! :luck:

All they need is a "Letter of Good Standing" indicating that you were not subject to any disciplinary actions at the school. You could also just ask for general letter of good standing "To Whom It May Concern", then have it sent to Interfolio. That way, they don't necessarily have to know which/what type of programs you are sending it to.

All they need is a "Letter of Good Standing" indicating that you were not subject to any disciplinary actions at the school. You could also just ask for general letter of good standing "To Whom It May Concern", then have it sent to Interfolio. That way, they don't necessarily have to know which/what type of programs you are sending it to.

I guess that's not so bad. :)

I'd apply to your top 5-10 and save the money on the rest.

Could you or anyone else suggest such less competitive DO schools that are in a city or at most an hour away from a city/area with several MD schools as well?

Thanks in advance.

I'd apply to your top 5-10 and save the money on the rest.

I'd even cut that most and just save for top 5. Honestly, most students with those stats apply to DO as an after thought and usually don't plan on attending. The fact you have high stats and a DO letter (Indicating your interest in the profession) will definitely help you!