How many eLORs on *your* VMCAS?

Started by equitate
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

How many eLORs on *your* VMCAS Application?

  • 3

    Votes: 31 38.8%
  • 4

    Votes: 33 41.3%
  • 5

    Votes: 9 11.3%
  • 6

    Votes: 7 8.8%

  • Total voters
    80

equitate

Oklahoma State C/O 2016!
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I thought this could be interesting to see as a poll. How many eLORs did you submit in the past (or do you plan to submit this cycle) in your VMCAS application? We all know that three are required and you can submit a maximum of six, but I am curious how many people submit more than three. I added the option of voting more than once so you can vote separately for each application cycle if you applied multiple times.

I'll start 🙂 I submitted four last cycle and am deciding between four or five this cycle.
 
Last edited:
Just to add some input...

Our pre-vet club had a speaker from the UFCVM admissions commitee, and he said not to add too many letters. 4 is the maximum he recommended.
 
Just to add some input...

Our pre-vet club had a speaker from the UFCVM admissions commitee, and he said not to add too many letters. 4 is the maximum he recommended.

but also remember that you're talking to the admissions rep from UF only. places like CSU will only take 3 and will say you're being greedy and unfair if you want them to look at more than 3. places like cornell want you to submit a LOR for each and every animal/vet experience you want to count. and there's a whole continuum of places in between.

prob is, when you apply to a bunch of schools with different requirements/preferences, it's really difficult to please them all with just 3 LORs.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i submitted (or listed) 6 on vmcas, but specifying to each school which ones to look at. places like penn will look at all that you submit, csu only 3, etc.
 
As of right now, I've only listed three and can't decide if I want to add 1-2 more. I applied last year as well, and only submitted 3 then, so I'm a little hesitant since all my old letters are still on file with schools like Tufts and Penn. I really don't think they need to look over like 10+ letters so I'm not sure if I want to add more to the mix.
 
I found that using all 6 allows me to get the diversity needed for the different schools. I had recommendations from...
2 DVMs,
2 professors
1 personal/professional that knows my equine experience
1 professional that speaks to my volunteer and leadership work
 
4 Listed, of course they're all labled "new" 😡. Sent out reminders this afternoon and my academic evaluator tells me that he has 15 to write this year, hasn't started yet, but will start after he gets his grant in on Tuesday :scared:. Other important DVM reference had to have me show him how to get to the website and to the evaluation form. I am worried that he will forget since he's been mixing up patients lately....

Why does it feel like have to put more work into getting these letters in than all the other app stuff I have to do???
 
I hope he won't get you mixed up with another person either, cause that would suck!

I don't think he's writing another letter for VMCAS, but he does have to write a letter for another girl for an internship, so I hope he doesn't submit the wrong letter. Seriously though, turning 60 has not been beneficial for his memory....
 
I have submitted four - two veterinarians I have worked with, an organic chemistry professor/pre-med committee chair, and a professor that I have also done internships/research with.

I am really thinking of asking for a last minute eLOR from a head veterinary technician who really likes me but, am afraid of pushing my eLORs too far.
 
4. I think I have 4 strong evaluators, but really I asked 4 in case one of mine flakes on me... I had a terrible experience with an evaluator being in contact with me regularly until the week before and then stop answering her email. or being at her office during office hours, or answering her office phone or returning voicemails. It was really stressful and if it gets to the 11th hour I'd like to just be able to delete one of the evaluators on VMCAS and submit a complete application.

Currently, 2/4 have turned in their letters!

edit:
My evaluators are: My MS thesis advisor, one of my grad school professors, a post-doc I worked for, and veterinarian I worked for.
 
Four, 2/4 have been submitted. All are from vets I currently work with or have worked with in the past. I would have liked to have (in addition or replacement) an academic reference, but I didn't feel like any of my professors have known me well enough. Maybe next year, if I need to apply a second (or third...) time.
 
I initially asked 4 people, but one of my vet friends didn't reply to me, so I asked another vet. Turns out the first vet DID actually text me, but my studpid phone didn't receive the message! So, now I have 5- 3 vets, my supervisor at the school where I teach, and my advisor from grad school. Not sure which ones I will use where yet. I guess it's better to have more than less! 😉
 
By the way, did you all opt to be able to view your letters or did you waive this option?? I waived all of mine because I ASSUME that vet schools prefer this, but now that I think about it, I HAVE NO IDEA!!?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
By the way, did you all opt to be able to view your letters or did you waive this option?? I waived all of mine because I ASSUME that vet schools prefer this, but now that I think about it, I HAVE NO IDEA!!?

I waived all mine. Also, it is my understanding that if you don't waive your rights, you can still only see what is written about you if you are offered a spot and accept the offer. I could totally be wrong though, but I thought that was what I read somewhere.
 
I waived all mine. Also, it is my understanding that if you don't waive your rights, you can still only see what is written about you if you are offered a spot and accept the offer. I could totally be wrong though, but I thought that was what I read somewhere.

Yes, definitely waive it! I was told my my pre-health committee that you could raise eyebrows by not waiving it. I also think it's a little disrespectful to your evaluator not to waive it. They're already doing you a huge favor... I think you at least owe them a the courtesy of confidentiality. A lot of evaluators will send you a copy of the LOR they wrote you if they want you to see it.

It can't hurt to waive it. But it could hurt NOT to waive it. So I'd waive it.

I mean... if you think you're going to get excellent LOR's and feel the need to read it, that's kind of egotistical IMO. If you're worried about what your evaluator is going to say... then you prob shouldn't be using them anyway.
 
Waived all mine. I'm a little curious what they wrote, but not that curious. I know if I were in their positions, I would feel a little awkward having someone I wrote a rec for read it, so I didn't want to risk having any of my writers feel that way.

3/4 in now, woo!