how much money do you live on?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

njac

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So we're at that fantastic point in the year where the semester is almost over, Christmas presents need to be purchased, and student loan money is just about all gone.

I'm trying to figure out if I'm living beyond my means or if most students have expensures similar to mine. I know I eat out too much so my boyfriend and I are workin on cooking more, that should save a bunch.

Right now I'm paying:
Rent - $495
Utilities - ~$50
Car - $300
Insurance - $500/6 months
Gas - probably about 2 tanks per month at around $35
Dog Food - ~$30
Cell Phone - $40
Internet/Cable - $80

I work about 20 hrs/wk for $14.70 (not counting differential, I work at a hospital) and I'm still :scared: about money.

I know the not eating out will make a huge difference and it never seems like I'm po' at the beginning of the semester, but I just realized that I have less than $1200 to get me through the holiday time. Good thing I'll be working my butt off over break!

Members don't see this ad.

I would need to get more information to offer more advice. You are clearly only clearing a little more than $800.00 per month and your expense listed (which do not include food and entertainment) are over $1100.00. You do have a future as a member of Congress as you are clearly living beyond your means.

You need to make a budget that accurately shows your income and spending. Let's say you clear $850.00 per month from your job. How much of your student loan money is for living expenses. Add it together and you know how much you have to spend. DON'T spend more than your budgeted amount. You can't give up ALL eating out and entertaining.

Thankfully I have loan money - the original intention was for that to pay for "real" expenses and work money to pay for the other stuff.

Believe it or not, I've cut back. I did just move out of my parents house (we were all going to kill each other. and I bet inpatient psych ward is more than $495/mo) and I found someone to lease my pony and take over all of his expenses. So it could be worse! I could still have a horse and vet bills and farrier bills etc etc

Members don't see this ad :)
Notice I didn't say anything about cutting back. What you need to do is realistic budgeting so a portion of each check is placed towards insurance, vacations, holidays, etc so you don't get stuck with a big bill. If you want to send specific numbers VIA PM, I'll help you set up a realistic budget so you don't have the added pressure of spending for holidays or other big bills....

We are trying to save money this Christmas as well. :)

Hot Chocolate Mix
1 6-oz. can of Nestles Quick
1 8-qt. size box of Carnation non-fat dry milk
1 10- or 11-oz. jar of dry coffee creamer
1 cup powdered sugar

Mini-marshmellows
Mason Jars

1. Clean and dry Mason Jars
2. Combine dry ingredients in large bowl. Mix completely for uniformity.
3. Scoop hot chocolate mix into mason jars (75% full).
4. Top off with marshmellows and close jars tightly.
5. Attach a tag with directions for use.

Directions: To make one mug of cocoa, place 4 rounded Tablespoons of the mix into a large mug. Add 1 cup of boiling water and stir well to dissolve. Top with marshmallows or whipped cream if desired.

Making a tag: I use card stock cut into small pieces and folded like a greeting card. I write the instructions inside and use a Christmas stamp or marker to decorate the outside of the tag. Punch a hole in the corner of the tag and use raffia or ribbon to tie it around the top of the jar.

Puzzle Piece Wreath

Any size puzzle pieces (small ones for small wreath, large ones for door-size wreath, etc)
Cardboard ring of appropriate size (cut from anything)
Green paint
Red beads
Your choice of ribbon
Low-temp glue gun + glue sticks

Optional: glitter, bells, magnet tape

Paint all puzzle pieces green.
Decorate with glitter as desired.
Begin attaching puzzle pieces to cardboard ring (with hot glue), layering and arranging as appropriate.
Hot glue red bead "berries" to wreath (it is good to glue them into one of the holes in a puzzle piece - they'll hold better).
Tie the ribbon in a bow and glue to bottom of wreath.
Hang bells from bottom of wreath using ribbon if desired.
Cut ribbon, string or magnet tape and affix to wreath for hanging purposes.

Let it lie flat until it is 100% dry.

Beer Bread

3 cups self-rising flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 bottle of beer (I use Corona light)
Stick butter or margarine.
Optional: your favorite spice

Grease/flour loaf pan ahead of time.
Preheat oven to 350.
Combine flour and sugar in mixing bowl.
Pour in beer and stir gently.
Place in loaf pan and bake.

One large loaf: 45-55 minutes
Mini loaves: 40-45 minutes

Remove from pan and cool on wire rack.
Brush tops with melted butter.

You can stir a spice to taste into the butter as it is melting. I have used pumpkin pie spice and cinnamon. Nutmeg might also be good.

Peppermint Bark

Peppermint candy canes or candy of choice.
Baker's chocolate "Bark" - milk or white or both
Wax paper
Large cookie sheet - the kind that has sides

Place peppermint in a large ziploc bag and seal tightly. May need to use two bags.
Cover bag with towel and use a hammer to crush the peppermint into medium sized pieces. Set aside.
Melt chocolate according to package instructions.
Pour chocolate onto wax paper lined cookie sheet.
Sprinkle peppermint pieces across top of melted chocolate.
Place in freezer until hard.
Break and divide into baggies or tins to store before giving.

Im extremely particular about knowing where all my money goes every month, so I made a list so I could keep track of what I was spending. Its runs about like this: $550 for rent, $70 for utilities, $300 for food (there are 2 of us, and this barely gets us by), internet/cable $120, and about $50 for other random things throughout the month. I'm given $1,000 for me and my boyfriend to live on each month (thank you mommy!), and my boyfriend babysits his neice for some extra money, and it works pretty well so far. We go a bit hungry at the end of the month, but we get by.

I've found that what works best is to limit yourself. I refuse to let us spend more than $300 on food, $50 on "fun", or let our electric go above $75. In doing this, you may have a little less food than you would like, go out less than you would like, but you'll be living within your means, and thats what is most important.

When I worked (not working this winter...i felt like taking time off), I would immediately put 30% of my paycheck into my savings account, so its like it wasnt there. Thats how i'm paying for christmas this year...money I saved while I made it, and I left it there until now. If you can live without part of your paycheck every week (or two weeks or however often you get paid), then this is a good way to save some money.

The best way to determine if you're living within your means is to figure out how much money you bring in a month, and see where you spend all that money, and if thats okay for you. If its not, change it accordingly. Spreadsheets are always good for this kind of thing...especially if your an organizational nut like me :)

A4MD - I make beer bread regularly - I prefer Michelob Amber Bock in there. A little dark and yeasty but a sweet aftertaste.

I'm only doing my annual "oh crap, I don't get my big chunk of money for 6 weeks" freak out. For the most part I'm very happy with my quality of life. I may have underestimated how much I work (I've made over $15K this year, most paychecks are about $600) but then there are paychecks like this next one, that will have 1 10-hour shift on it because of finals.

I was more wondering how other students are doing it. Are people living on just ramen with the heater off (I have 2 dogs and always have a sweatshirt on. I keep my house like the arctic) or are they allowing some frivolous things too? my original game plan was to drive my 1st car into residency but it died the beginning of 2nd year and I decided it was worth my money to buy a new car I'd keep for 10 years rather than keeping putting hundreds of dollars into a used car.

Asrai - you have very good points. When I first started working, back in HS, I saved enough money in a matter of months to buy a horse. And once I had him I paid all of his bills and still managed to save money. Then when I graduated HS I was given a large(ish) sum of money. And then I didn't have to budget things, and got pretty frivolous with stuff. By now I've run through that money and I've never been able to completely revert to where I was before it. I really should track my money better and see where it's all going. I have a feeling it's all going to the greasy spoon diner my boyfriend and I eat at many times a week.

I really need to learn how to cook, I eat out every day :(

kill your dog and eat him :D

save dog food $$$ and you get a few days worth of food for free too ;)

jk

or not ;););););):D:D:D

Members don't see this ad :)
"kill your dog and eat him

save dog food $$$ and you get a few days worth of food for free too "

I've got two... I could eat for weeks! I've joked about that forever - they're Corgis so they have huge drumsticks. Famine comes around... Corgi on a spit.

Although that jackass protestor in the UK said the corgi tasted icky.

"kill your dog and eat him

save dog food $$$ and you get a few days worth of food for free too "

I've got two... I could eat for weeks! I've joked about that forever - they're Corgis so they have huge drumsticks. Famine comes around... Corgi on a spit.

Although that jackass protestor in the UK said the corgi tasted icky.

LOL

nice to know you have a sense of humor :thumbup:

Rent/utilities/food - $1000
Dave and Busters - $800
Hookers - $1550

I suppose some of that isn't really needed and is "Extra" to base cost of living. I could always live in the streets and steal food from the residents....

Anyone else notice that eating healthy is also extremely expensive? It's like the government wants us to get fat off of mcdonalds. Last year, I believe I ate 2/4 meals at mcdonalds....2 double hamburgers...$2.10. Pound of ground turkey, spices, assorted veggies, and rice for dinner...$12?!??!?! :eek:

Im extremely particular about knowing where all my money goes every month, so I made a list so I could keep track of what I was spending. Its runs about like this: $550 for rent, $70 for utilities, $300 for food (there are 2 of us, and this barely gets us by), internet/cable $120, and about $50 for other random things throughout the month. I'm given $1,000 for me and my boyfriend to live on each month (thank you mommy!), and my boyfriend babysits his neice for some extra money, and it works pretty well so far. We go a bit hungry at the end of the month, but we get by.

I've found that what works best is to limit yourself. I refuse to let us spend more than $300 on food, $50 on "fun", or let our electric go above $75. In doing this, you may have a little less food than you would like, go out less than you would like, but you'll be living within your means, and thats what is most important.

When I worked (not working this winter...i felt like taking time off), I would immediately put 30% of my paycheck into my savings account, so its like it wasnt there. Thats how i'm paying for christmas this year...money I saved while I made it, and I left it there until now. If you can live without part of your paycheck every week (or two weeks or however often you get paid), then this is a good way to save some money.

The best way to determine if you're living within your means is to figure out how much money you bring in a month, and see where you spend all that money, and if thats okay for you. If its not, change it accordingly. Spreadsheets are always good for this kind of thing...especially if your an organizational nut like me :)
What type of food are you buying that costs so much? I spend about 40$ a week and i think i eat fairly well, its nothing too great off but cereal, noodles, etc. All that lovely college food.

I'd say try not to eat out a lot and cook. I myself usually go to the supermarket late in the day (at around the time they are about to close). Then they usually sell stuffs at 1/2 or even 1/3 price, especially those ready-to-eat food. Because if they save those until the next day, they won't be as good anyhow. So I usually got those for less. I know sometimes this can be dangerous (especially when you learn all about botulism in physio), but it helps me so far. Also, I know some classmates who pay someone they know at a reasonable price to cook for them (usually close friends or family).
You know what they say "live like a student now or later" :D

What type of food are you buying that costs so much? I spend about 40$ a week and i think i eat fairly well, its nothing too great off but cereal, noodles, etc. All that lovely college food.

Well, see...we have this problem that the only things we can cook between the two of us are spaghetti, enchiladas, anything from a box, or anything frozen. And the boyfriend well, he eats enough for like 3 people...hell, he usually eats half of my portion on top of it all! So yea, buying frozen foods and eating 2-3 dinners a night like he does...it will drain your food money quick. One of us will learn to cook some day..until then, its anything from a box or something frozen.

Well, see...we have this problem that the only things we can cook between the two of us are spaghetti, enchiladas, anything from a box, or anything frozen. And the boyfriend well, he eats enough for like 3 people...hell, he usually eats half of my portion on top of it all! So yea, buying frozen foods and eating 2-3 dinners a night like he does...it will drain your food money quick. One of us will learn to cook some day..until then, its anything from a box or something frozen.

awww. you guys should get a crock pot! my boyfriend and I both love our crock pots and are always making up stuff that freezes well so you don't have to eat it for a week straight

Also, in the frozen food aisle you'll find bags o veggies to make stirfry. Again, wicked easily, relatively cheap.

My big problem this weekend is that I'm housesitting up in the mountains, so I don't feel like going to town. I made a huge grocery store run on Thursday (actually not that huge, it was like $80) that is full of junk food - like let me sit here and do kinetics all day food. I think I bought all frozen food except for spaghetti and sauce and some of those prefilled tortellini from the fridge area. In some ways housesitting in bumfack is good because no pizza delivery :(

but yes, in the end, eating healthy is wicked expensive. There's a reason why Whole Foods = Whole Paycheck. So there's a correlation between income level and obesity (I guess it's getting skewed but...) - no kidding! I work with some techs who get food stamps and they said their kids can scarf the amount of fresh fruit she can afford in a matter of minutes.

awww. you guys should get a crock pot! my boyfriend and I both love our crock pots and are always making up stuff that freezes well so you don't have to eat it for a week straight

Also, in the frozen food aisle you'll find bags o veggies to make stirfry. Again, wicked easily, relatively cheap.

My big problem this weekend is that I'm housesitting up in the mountains, so I don't feel like going to town. I made a huge grocery store run on Thursday (actually not that huge, it was like $80) that is full of junk food - like let me sit here and do kinetics all day food. I think I bought all frozen food except for spaghetti and sauce and some of those prefilled tortellini from the fridge area. In some ways housesitting in bumfack is good because no pizza delivery :(

but yes, in the end, eating healthy is wicked expensive. There's a reason why Whole Foods = Whole Paycheck. So there's a correlation between income level and obesity (I guess it's getting skewed but...) - no kidding! I work with some techs who get food stamps and they said their kids can scarf the amount of fresh fruit she can afford in a matter of minutes.

Another problem would be that the boyfriend is the pickiest eater ever...doesnt like stew, not a fan of veggies, doesn't really like soup, doesn't eat cereal (i've been with him for over 5 years, and im still not really sure what he eats!). Personally...i could live off cereal and fresh food forever...give me fruit and veggies any day! But, like you said, eating healthy is expensive. So for now, we do what we can, and he eats all of our food lol

The only time that I really eat out is when I go home for my breaks. I rarely ever eat out when I'm away from home. I like eating my food more and I enjoy learning new dishes. I spend about $100 a month and I think I eat pretty well. I'm not even on a budget. I spend about that much every month for the past 3 years. What helps me is that I don't like to snack and I don't like sweets. So I never have chips or cookies laying around.

So we're at that fantastic point in the year where the semester is almost over, Christmas presents need to be purchased, and student loan money is just about all gone.

I'm trying to figure out if I'm living beyond my means or if most students have expensures similar to mine. I know I eat out too much so my boyfriend and I are workin on cooking more, that should save a bunch.

Right now I'm paying:
Rent - $495
Utilities - ~$50
Car - $300
Dog Food - ~$30
Cell Phone - $40
Internet/Cable - $80

I work about 20 hrs/wk for $14.70 (not counting differential, I work at a hospital) and I'm still :scared: about money.

I know the not eating out will make a huge difference and it never seems like I'm po' at the beginning of the semester, but I just realized that I have less than $1200 to get me through the holiday time. Good thing I'll be working my butt off over break!

2 tanks of gas only $35 bucks. LOL, where are u getting ur gas at.

Right now I'm paying:
Rent - $495
Utilities - ~$50
Car - $300
Dog Food - ~$30
Cell Phone - $40
Internet/Cable - $80

I will just say...u got it good...where are u again??
I spend close to 800 bucks in rent...that full tank for me is a week...which is 40 bucks btw, my insurance is 850....car is close to 300....i work 6 hrs/week for 12bucks...
you got 1200....wow....i got 153 bucks in my name...
Amazingly...we are both clearly alive and well !!

You may not like my advise, but here it goes anyways:

Seems like the car is the big problem. Do you really need it? How much would it cost to take the bus instead? If you were to take the bus, you could eliminate $300 + $500, but keep the $35X2 because that's the bus pass money right there. Now in terms of eating out. Cut back! Try eating out 1/2 less. As for cable, since you're a student, do you really need it? I thought about getting it, but with all this studying I barely have time. Ok there's my 2 cents.

Right now I'm paying:
Rent - $495
Utilities - ~$50
Car - $300
Dog Food - ~$30
Cell Phone - $40
Internet/Cable - $80

2 tanks of gas only $35 bucks. LOL, where are u getting ur gas at.

my car has a 15 gallon tank but I never run it too low... I would say I've averaged abotu $35/tank for the last couple months. Today it was only $2.79!

but the car is important. I'm lucky that I live less than 2 miles from school and I work basically at school, but ABQ's public transportation is The Suck. I used it when my 1st car broke down. It was rater like my MedicAid experience - I sucked it up and bought insurance because it was just. that. horrible.

Another problem would be that the boyfriend is the pickiest eater ever...doesnt like stew, not a fan of veggies, doesn't really like soup, doesn't eat cereal (i've been with him for over 5 years, and im still not really sure what he eats!). Personally...i could live off cereal and fresh food forever...give me fruit and veggies any day! But, like you said, eating healthy is expensive. So for now, we do what we can, and he eats all of our food lol

No, I see a whole 'nother problem here......

You've told us how much you bring in, you've told us your expenses, you've told us how much your mother sends to support you and boyfriend, but you seem to have left out what monetary amount boyfriend is contributing to the household budget. Plus, he's a 'picky eater,' but he doesn't know how to prepare meals that will satisfy his own pickiness, so you're eating some of the most expensive food out there? I guess that works when your mommy is paying for it.

Seems to me the problem is not with the money coming in, it's the deep, dark hole you call a boyfriend.

Whoaaa eelo, that's one hell of a shot below the belt there. She hasn't gotten around to explaining his contributions yet, why not give her the benefit of the doubt?

Whoaaa eelo, that's one hell of a shot below the belt there. She hasn't gotten around to explaining his contributions yet, why not give her the benefit of the doubt?

Whoops, sorry..... looks like I was confusing/combining njac's and asrai's situations. My apologies to both of you and to the forum.

(thanks for the clonk on the head, doober)

Whoops, sorry..... looks like I was confusing/combining njac's and asrai's situations. My apologies to both of you and to the forum.

(thanks for the clonk on the head, doober)

haha, I have had the deadbeat bum boyfriend before but I outgrew him thankfully.

but even if that is the case, she's not going to listen to you. I know. I was that girl.

Seems to me the problem is not with the money coming in, it's the deep, dark hole you call a boyfriend.

That was hilarious, but often times its so true....:laugh:

Dude-your making less than what what u spend. I think you need to cut down on some expenses. Your rent is cheap thou and gas for $35. Where do u live?

Either that or switch jobs. Retails pays more than hospital. More stress---but more money.

Why do u pay $300/month for car? As in car repair bill? Or are you leasing your car? If you live in the suburbs, you definitely need a car. If your in a city with public transportation, then u might need to keep it. It seems like the car is eating your budget. Good luck!!!

in reply to...all that is above lol

he works, but you can only make so much money loading trucks and trying to go to school. most of that money gets sucked away into car and computer payments (i'll admit, getting a new computer was not exactly the best idea...but its almost paid off). and he makes dinner when im too busy to/don't feel like it (which has been the past month or so! gotta love school). so thanks for the concern, but i think we're doing okay :)

i think i shouldn't have put so much of my own info into someone elses thread...makes things confusing i see. no harm done though, back to njac's stuff :)

Anyone else notice that eating healthy is also extremely expensive? It's like the government wants us to get fat off of mcdonalds. Last year, I believe I ate 2/4 meals at mcdonalds....2 double hamburgers...$2.10. Pound of ground turkey, spices, assorted veggies, and rice for dinner...$12?!??!?! :eek:

Seriously, that is so true--I mean, I could live on like, I don't know ~$25 a week (I'm not really calculating it, so I could be off by a few... that's probably more like 5 days or something, but whatever) at McDonalds, but you'd have to spend at least like ~$20 to get a good sushi dinner or something like that that's relatively healthier. [Another example: a week worth of blackberries ~$25].

in reply to...all that is above lol

he works, but you can only make so much money loading trucks and trying to go to school. most of that money gets sucked away into car and computer payments (i'll admit, getting a new computer was not exactly the best idea...but its almost paid off). and he makes dinner when im too busy to/don't feel like it (which has been the past month or so! gotta love school). so thanks for the concern, but i think we're doing okay :)

i think i shouldn't have put so much of my own info into someone elses thread...makes things confusing i see. no harm done though, back to njac's stuff :)

no, I wanted to see how other people are living too. I wasn't trying to turn this into a "let's give njac a budget" thread. I want to see how other students are doing it. Is everyone eating ramen? Do some of you buy a new pair of $300 jeans every week?

I have to say, most of you who have looked at my numbers have completely ignored the fact that I have loan money. I don't WANT to have my work money be all that supports me. I would have to work too much an spend too little and that wouldn't make me very happy. I work to supplement my loan income and get scads of experience.

Dude-your making less than what what u spend. I think you need to cut down on some expenses. Your rent is cheap thou and gas for $35. Where do u live?

Either that or switch jobs. Retails pays more than hospital. More stress---but more money.

Why do u pay $300/month for car? As in car repair bill? Or are you leasing your car? If you live in the suburbs, you definitely need a car. If your in a city with public transportation, then u might need to keep it. It seems like the car is eating your budget. Good luck!!!

it's a car payment. Mommy and Daddy gave me a car with 250K miles on it in 1999, they didn't put any money into car #2 last year. I decided it was worth my money to get something reliable that will take me beyond residency and into my first couple years of work.

It seems everyone just sorta skewed the original intent of your topic njac. You wanted to discuss and be humorous, but it just sorta turned into a "let's tell njac how to cut down her budget" fest. Everyone's an expert on the internet. :laugh:

There is also the wonderful world of coupons. Get the Sunday paper, and cut them out. You'll be surprise how much you will save.

well I can't even afford the sunday paper. :confused: sometimes I'm working on Sunday and the pharmacist has a copy and I ask for the coupons.

I pay 50 cents a week for Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday home delivery. The regular Sunday paper is $1.50.

The NYT shows up M-F at my new apartment. it has ever since I got here. but haven't seen any bills/invoices. good reading (forgot how nice it is to read a real paper!) but no coupons :(

Right now I'm paying:
Rent - $495
Utilities - ~$50
Car - $300
Dog Food - ~$30
Cell Phone - $40
Internet/Cable - $80

I like your numbers better than what I'm dealing with, though my needs are a little different than yours.

3 bd 1 1/2 bath apt $1550
Utilities (Gas/Elec) ~$60 depending on season
Cars- $40/mo for maintenance
Insurance $110/ mo
Gas $120
Cell phones $59/mo
Internet $15
Landline $15
Food $300+/-
Newspaper $1.66/mo (Sunday Only)
Renters Insurance $20/mo
-------------------------
Total ~$2290/mo

I like your numbers better than what I'm dealing with, though my needs are a little different than yours.

3 bd 1 1/2 bath apt $1550
Utilities (Gas/Elec) ~$60 depending on season
Cars- $40/mo for maintenance
Insurance $110/ mo
Gas $120
Cell phones $59/mo
Internet $15
Landline $15
Food $300+/-
Newspaper $1.66/mo (Sunday Only)
Renters Insurance $20/mo
-------------------------
Total ~$2290/mo

How you liking the USC program thus far? Semester #1 is about in the books....

how much money do you live on?

A lot... but none of y'all business.

*can't help being envious of some people's low rent*

I pay $1200/month for my one bedroom, one bathroom in central New Jersey. Though I do get quite a bit for my money - a heated!garage, utilities all included except electric (but I factored that into the figure posted, it's consistent month-to-month), it's an almost 800 sq feet one-bedroom with a living room and a dining room, and it's in a very nice area. :)

*can't help being envious of some people's low rent*

yea, but you don't live in the dirty South Oakland neighborhood of Pittsburgh either...rent is cheap, but the living isn't exactly nice. and its a risk parking your car on the street...a lot of cars tend not to have side mirrors anymore. Good times.

How you liking the USC program thus far? Semester #1 is about in the books....

It's been fun, though tedious at times. Can't stand all the special projects. Case studies seemed a waste of time. Then all those presentations for Pharm Practice.