This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How screwed am I?

• Total voters

wolf1992

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, new here but I really need some anonymous advice. Just started my third year of medical school and am freaking out b/c I got a 224 on Step 1. Unfortunately my school is P/F the first two years (even though I was a standard deviation above on most tests, no one will ever know about it). Otherwise I have no research (and no time to fix that anytime soon), no leadership positions, and about 100 hours of volunteer experience. I have not decided my specialty yet but I think I like family medicine and emergency medicine. I know what you're thinking: "Oh god not ANOTHER neurotic medical student freaking out over nothing." But I'm military HPSP, where many of the averages are 240+ (including emergency and psych).

I have very little confidence that I can improve in the future considering everything I have left is a standardized test and I SUCK at those (low SAT, low MCAT, and now low Step 1). I'm just freaking out and I think I'm going to get a low pass on everything and in the 20's again for step 2 (assuming i pass all that)... I'm too embarrassed to discuss this at length with my friends, who all outperformed me. I just feel so dumb and stupid and frankly just want to curl into a ball and die sometimes. Like no matter how hard I try, nothing will ever be good enough and I'm just not going to make it.

Any inspirational stories or words of encouragement would be great. I just need help (I tried counseling, not useful... I KNOW what my issues are. I need solutions.) Especially from any other HPSP folk!

Members don't see this ad.

what field are you interested in? assuming you go to a US med school you can still do most things so relax.

Reactions: 1 users
If you're okay with family med, then what exactly is the issue?

Being HPSP, at worse you'll do your intern year somewhere then go off and do your commitment as a GMO. Then once you're out you'll have access to ALL of the FM residencies, a good chunk of which would have no problem taking a guy with average grades and board scores.

Being military actually helps, because if you go do your intern year and commitment AND THEN apply to military residencies then you'll get a bump from your prior service on your app. Or if you go civilian afterwards, some PD's like former military people because they have real-world experience/maturity and would be willing to overlook lesser grades/scores. EM isn't entirely off the table because of that. A place like UT San Antonio has a new EM program (with no street cred and thus would take lower end EM applicants) and is known for taking ex-military people in all fields.

Personal anecdote: A friend of mine at a decent school (who was for the most part an average student with average scores) went and did his navy internship, served his commitment, and then matched into radiology at his home med school.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you like family medicine then there is nothing to worry about.

Reactions: 4 users
Nothing to worry about. Being military is an advantage in the fellowship game. Pretty sure UCSF added a spot for IR fellowship cuz some dude is military (You can see it in NRMP directory).

The social media age, where the thought of being average is enough to make one want to curl up and die.

Hey guys, new here but I really need some anonymous advice. Just started my third year of medical school and am freaking out b/c I got a 224 on Step 1. Unfortunately my school is P/F the first two years (even though I was a standard deviation above on most tests, no one will ever know about it). Otherwise I have no research (and no time to fix that anytime soon), no leadership positions, and about 100 hours of volunteer experience. I have not decided my specialty yet but I think I like family medicine and emergency medicine. I know what you're thinking: "Oh god not ANOTHER neurotic medical student freaking out over nothing." But I'm military HPSP, where many of the averages are 240+ (including emergency and psych).

I have very little confidence that I can improve in the future considering everything I have left is a standardized test and I SUCK at those (low SAT, low MCAT, and now low Step 1). I'm just freaking out and I think I'm going to get a low pass on everything and in the 20's again for step 2 (assuming i pass all that)... I'm too embarrassed to discuss this at length with my friends, who all outperformed me. I just feel so dumb and stupid and frankly just want to curl into a ball and die sometimes. Like no matter how hard I try, nothing will ever be good enough and I'm just not going to make it.

Any inspirational stories or words of encouragement would be great. I just need help (I tried counseling, not useful... I KNOW what my issues are. I need solutions.) Especially from any other HPSP folk!

Welcome to FM...

Reactions: 2 users

1) Which branch of the military?
2). What school are you in?
3). When do you start 3rd year rotations?

I am Navy. FWIW your score isn't that bad. Someone has misinformed you about how competitive military residencies are.
Feel free to PM if you don't want to share info on the forum

Reactions: 1 user

On a serious note, you have a decent chance at GS if you properly fondle those birdies during your auditions.

Thank you for all the informative/encouraging replies. My issue is that I'm actually more interested in emergency medicine but feel like I have to pick family medicine now b/c it feels hopeless to get EM in the military ( DO like family though)... I like psych too but that's just as bad as EM!

Who are the people voting "dude you're f*cked"? Is that just for higher end residencies or are you saying family is my only option?

You might have better luck in the military med forum.

You're set for FM easy, but EM is somewhat competitive for the HPSP folks because so many of them want to do it (if the trend holds from when I was considering HPSP).

You're smart enough, you're good enough, and doggone it people like you!

1) Which branch of the military?
2). What school are you in?
3). When do you start 3rd year rotations?

I am Navy. FWIW your score isn't that bad. Someone has misinformed you about how competitive military residencies are.
Feel free to PM if you don't want to share info on the forum

I won't let me PM you.

Who are the people voting "dude you're f*cked"? Is that just for higher end residencies or are you saying family is my only option?
Almost surely people just messing with you since you seem easily messed with.

Reactions: 2 users
This is a trick poll.

Family med: not screwed at all even if you low pass everything. Maybe not NYU or UCLA family med but definitely American residency family med for sure.

Emergency med: ehhhh depends on your away rotation. They really like seeing a good away eval and oddly enough a good step 2 so start uworld now and make it your religion during clerkships. It will be doable and you can probably match that still as well.

I feel for you bro. I got a very similar Step 1 score and the world collapsed on me too as I fell into a dark pessimistic hole. Hang in there. Remember the a-holes who got in the 240s, 250s, and 260s are not smarter than you. They may be better test takers but they are far from being smarter. I've seen it on the wards throughout the year. Scores are all that matters to some programs, but there are other programs that value your entire profile. Go into what you want to go into, not what M1 or M2s on this forum feel your Step score should go into.

I feel for you bro. I got a very similar Step 1 score and the world collapsed on me too as I fell into a dark pessimistic hole. Hang in there. Remember the a-holes who got in the 240s, 250s, and 260s are not smarter than you. They may be better test takers but they are far from being smarter. I've seen it on the wards throughout the year. Scores are all that matters to some programs, but there are other programs that value your entire profile. Go into what you want to go into, not what M1 or M2s on this forum feel your Step score should go into.

Actually I beg to differ. A student who scores a 260 is simply smarter in terms of medical knowledge than a student who scores a 220. We can argue about what defines "intelligence" all we want but at the end of the day this is the most objective assessment we have.