How should I improve before June/School list recommendations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Milk and Steak

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, long-time lurker... Now that application season is coming up I figured I should join the conversation and get some advice on what part of my app needs work before June!
  1. cGPA: 3.4, strong upward trend 2.3 freshman year, 3.65 sophomore year, 3.85 junior year... sGPA: 3.71
  2. MCAT: 516 (130/127/130/129)
  3. Michigan resident
  4. ORM
  5. Public state university
  6. Clinical experience: 250 hours as CNA
  7. Research Experience: 1 year Alzheimer's Research, no pubs, poster presentation at 2 conferences
  8. Shadowing experience: 80 hours of shadowing, primarily Cardiology and EM.
  9. Non-clinical volunteering: 1200ish hours of volunteering as a special needs camp leader (over 7 years), 50 hours volunteering at a professional golf event.
  10. Other ECs: 600 hours working in retail, 1000+ hours working as a child care provider, 250+ hours working at a local art show, 150+ hours working as a organic/biochemistry tutor at my university, also on the executive board of my universities Neuroscience club where I helped triple our club membership over this past year.
  11. Relevant honors or awards: Frequented the Dean's List after my freshman year, but that seems fairly irrelevant.
I didn't enter college planning to pursue medicine, started off as a business major at a community college. Realized I hated business and when I transferred to university for my sophomore year I changed majors to neuroscience, I think my GPA turnaround displays my change in interest...

I'd appreciate any advice on how to improve my app prior to June!

Also any advice on generating a school list would be welcomed, I'd prefer the East Coast, and have strong ties to NC and SC if that helps...

Thanks all!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
You have clinical experience with your CNA job.
Do you have the MSAR? If not buy it and use it to develop your list. Start with your instate schools and then look at private schools. Most public schools prefer their own residents do keep that in mind.

You have clinical experience with your CNA job.
Do you have the MSAR? If not buy it and use it to develop your list. Start with your instate schools and then look at private schools. Most public schools prefer their own residents do keep that in mind.
Do you think I'm okay without adding volunteering, or should I get involved in something clinical I enjoy just to help bolster my app?
I've got the MSAR, but my cGPA is making me question how to approach building a list.

If you have time it would be okay. But maybe instead spend a few nights at a soup kitchen. You’d be serving those less fortunate than you and would be sort of a balance with the professional gold event.

As to developing a list-you’re right. Your GPA is lowish but your MCAT is very nice as is your sGPA. I’m not sure but try to develop a broad list with schools in the low-mid tiers. Some schools are known for being big fans of high MCAT scores so look closely at MCAT scores too. You might want to consider some DO
schools too. I’m sure someone will be along to give you some good advice on how to develop a good list.

Last edited:
I suggest these schools with your stats:
Central Michigan
Michigan State
Wayne State
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Toledo
Vermont
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Rosalind Franklin
NOVA MD
California University
any new schools that may open for 2019 (Kaiser, Roseman)

516 is extremely impressive you can add a few real reach schools in the top 20 as well! I know someone who got into yale with a 512 and a 3.8 GPA (no connection to the school). So with that high of an MCAT go for it keep your safety schools but definitely apply to some upper schools.

I think your app looks great. Let's just tick off the points to give you some assurance:
  • True, total GPA isn't fantastic, but your sGPA is good and you have a very strong upward trend, which I think overshadows your cGPA. MCAT is good as well. As LizzyM said in another thread, this is the kind of thing that makes adcoms give apps a double take.
  • 80 hours shadowing is more than enough.
  • Your volunteer work is fantastic. I think working with special needs does qualify as serving those less fortunate than you. Plus you've done it for a very long time. Assuming you're 22ish, that's over 30% of your life you've spent taking care of a population that society often overlooks or looks down on (it's always interesting to see your life in percentages like that). As for the golf event, see if you can squeeze another one in there before/during app season.
  • Your ECs are varied, yet consistent. You show you have outside interests but aren't a flake.
  • Continue to work as a CNA, but I don't think 250 hours is anything to sneeze that.
Now all you have to do is write a compelling PS and make sure your experiences and secondaries are written well (i.e. must not make adcoms' eyes glaze over) and you're good to go.

516 is extremely impressive you can add a few real reach schools in the top 20 as well! I know someone who got into yale with a 512 and a 3.8 GPA (no connection to the school). So with that high of an MCAT go for it keep your safety schools but definitely apply to some upper schools.
Was that person URM, a veteran, or had some unusual life experiences? A publication in a top journal, say, or Peace Corps service, or was a war refugee or Olympic athlete?