How to become a doctor in USA? (From Ukraine)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neite

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here's the thing..
I'm a US citizen studying in a medical university in Ukraine.
I have two more years of education left and I graduate. The question is how can I become a surgeon in the US? (specifically - a plastic surgeon)
What are my steps supposed to be after i graduate? Do i start taking the USMLE exams? ( I checked on the World Directory of Medical Schools and it says that after i finish my university I'm eligible to take the USMLE exams (just in case))
What should i begin with?

Members don't see this ad.

You have to get ecfmg license ( passing step 1 , step 2 CK , CS ), this is a must to be able to apply for the match but in your case you'll need as much clinical experience (in the US) , LORs , and some impressive research as you can get even to have a chance in plastic surgery as it's one of the most competitive specialities out there. Begin with whatever you want whenever you want, for step 1 you have to be done with your basic science studying years at your School and done with clinical science for step 2 and if you're required to do an internship at your School then you can get both done before it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

It will be close to impossible to go into plastic surgery in the US. If this is your goal, reconsider your options.

Reactions: 1 user