How to get into dental school with a 2.75 GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LionTalk

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am finishing my last undergraduate semester at a top 20 university and would love nothing more than to gain acceptance into a U.S. Dental School. I am a biology major and currently have a 2.75 GPA. This is mainly due to my subpar academic performance during my first two and a half years; I had adjustment issues to college and have been seeing a councilor throughout the latter portion of my college education. Since then I have made mostly A's for the last 2 semsters and was able to bring my GPA up from a 2.2 to a 2.75. I am planning on taking my DAT at the end of this summer (2016 summer) but have no plans for the fall of 2016. What can I do that will give me the best chance of getting accepted into dental school?

Members don't see this ad.

Join a master program and get a 4.0. A 2.75 won't cut it boss

Reactions: 10 users
I agree with @tombradyschin.
A 2.75Ogpa is really low. I'm assuming your science gpa is lower than that. You could try and apply but it would be a waste of money.
Masters program is your best bet.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
unless you have stellar extracurriculars, you will not get into dental school without first doing a masters or postbac

Do a special masters program. Wouldn't recommend a postbacc since your major was biology so you want graduate level courses. Many of the SMP's also come with MCAT/DAT prep integrated into the schedule so you might want to look into that.

I'm currently in a 1 year graduate program myself so feel free to ask me any questions

Reactions: 1 users
Do a special masters program. Wouldn't recommend a postbacc since your major was biology so you want graduate level courses. Many of the SMP's also come with MCAT/DAT prep integrated into the schedule so you might want to look into that.

I'm currently in a 1 year graduate program myself so feel free to ask me any questions
What special masters programs do you recommend? I've been looking at post bac programs and have not really looked into/ heard about special masters programs...all of the masters programs I looked at require that you have at least attempted the DAT. I will not take the DAT unitl the end of Summer 2016 and applications are due before that

Yup, more schooling. You need to prove that you have what it takes to succeed academically. Postbacc it is

Either a special master's program, or enroll in some carefully chosen upper level science classes.

Grad program. Pick up a Masters. You can do one of the ones focused on healthcare professions. I personally did mine in Public Health and loved it. Although it was two years, I took packed semesters and did it one year.

May I ask how you did and was that enough to get you into one of your preferred schools?
Got a 3.92 in the SMP (brought my overall over 3.0). 22DAT. Got a LOA from a school so I did something right.

Grad program. Pick up a Masters. You can do one of the ones focused on healthcare professions. I personally did mine in Public Health and loved it. Although it was two years, I took packed semesters and did it one year.

Be careful about what master's program you choose. Public health is one that applicants for the purpose of personal interest, not to compensate for a poor undergraduate GPA. So doing public health would be fine if your undergraduate GPA were not an issue. If you are looking to do a master's to help with your GPA weakness, it must be science intensive to help demonstrate your competency in science.