How to get my foot in the door?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheAlHassan

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, my first time posting on here...

Recently, I've been admitted to a bs/md program. Although this in itself is an accomplishment, or so they tell me, I was wondering, how could I get my foot into the door for success after all my studies are completed? A lot of people tell me I should indulge in research since I want to go into surgery and they say that that's the most competitive field, especially to land a residency in. Besides research, what are some things I can do to ensure my success after med-school? I'm currently a high school senior but want to ensure time lends me a "competitive edge."

Members don't see this ad.

Well you thankfully don't have too much of the "how do I get into an MD program?" stress that goes along with most people entering college. I think that for the next few years of your undergrad program, you really just need to focus on doing well in your classes and involving yourself in extracurricular activities that you enjoy. Research is a good thing to get under your belt if you are hoping for a competitive residency in the future, but undergraduate research is generally not held in high regard in that respect. Research that you want to be evaluated for residency matching would come from your time as a medical student rather than as an undergrad, although the latter can help you get an idea of the process and build up some of the soft/hard skills necessary to do well in that environment.

Just take it easy, it's a long road to travel down and you've already surpassed one of the largest hurdles. Enjoy your time in college and congratulations on your acceptance!