This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trapdr

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I do research at a medical center that I would really love to attend for medical school. One of the professors there lead successful research studies, and I would like to introduce myself to him in hope of getting a recommendation from him or have him assist me when applying. How do I go about introducing myself. Will it seem out of the blue if I just walk up to his office and say hello. What else could I say?

Members don't see this ad.

"Hello, my name is Trapdr." Then thoroughly compliment his research. Thirdly, proceed to ask questions regarding his research accomplishments. Boom. Socialized.

Reactions: 4 users
Hi,

I do research at a medical center that I would really love to attend for medical school. One of the professors there lead successful research studies, and I would like to introduce myself to him in hope of getting a recommendation from him or have him assist me when applying. How do I go about introducing myself. Will it seem out of the blue if I just walk up to his office and say hello. What else could I say?

Just say your name is Humpty, pronounced with an Umpty...

humpty-dance-digital-underground-1348554762.jpg

Or just say hello and your name...

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

Im confused. You are unsure of how to introduce yourself to them, and you want them to recommend you when you apply? I assume you mean after you develop a relationship

Reactions: 1 user
Who do you work for, another professor? Ask your PI to make an introduction email and set up a time to meet, or you could just send an email yourself saying how you are interested in their work and would like to meet them. Maybe there is more of an open door vibe your work, but at the med school where I work it would never be appropriate to just drop in on a professor because they are extremely busy.

I would like to introduce myself to him in hope of getting a recommendation from him or have him assist me when applying
If you don't even know this person, it's going to take a lot to get to the point where they'd be a good letter writer for you. Your letters should be from someone who knows you and can attest to your personal attributes that will make you a good doctor and your academic/work achievements. You definitely don't want a letter from someone you've only casually chatted with.

But in any case, I agree that it's fine to send a quick email saying that you're interested in their research or have your PI make the introduction, if they're open to that. But unless you end up somehow working with this person, I don't see how they'd ever be a good letter writer.

If you need to introduce yourself to that person, chances are they don't know you enough to write you an intimate LOR. If a person is close enough to you where they can write you a strong letter, you need not introduce yourself to him/her.

A recommendation letter may not be too realistic. However, the OP did say:
have him assist me when applying
Which I think is fine. Even without a LoR, insider knowledge from a PI at the institution you're applying at can be a great help.

Don't just drop in, send an email first. But before you email, read through a couple of the PI's papers and familiarize yourself with the research. After that, an email introducing yourself and a couple questions pertaining to the research would be a good start.

Agree with not just dropping in. The docs I worked under have crazy packed schedules. Have your PI introduce you or shoot him an email yourself introducing yourself , saying you're interested in his work (you should actually be interested and have read some of said work), and ask if you could meet some time to discuss your interests or sonething.

This probably isn't the type of relationship that will turn into a letter, but if you're not applying for a couple years it could develop into something that could if you wind up working with him or something. Let him take the lead with whether or not he wants to mentor you.

Im confused. You are unsure of how to introduce yourself to them, and you want them to recommend you when you apply? I assume you mean after you develop a relationship

Yes exactly. I want to develop a relationship with this professor so in the future he could possibly put in a good word for me or even recommend me.

Who do you work for, another professor? Ask your PI to make an introduction email and set up a time to meet, or you could just send an email yourself saying how you are interested in their work and would like to meet them. Maybe there is more of an open door vibe your work, but at the med school where I work it would never be appropriate to just drop in on a professor because they are extremely busy.

I never thought of that! It's a great idea thank you!!

Hi,

He has no idea who you are then why bother? Why would he help you when you're applying if he has no idea who you are?

If you want to talk to him about working for him then that's a different matter, but what you're doing sounds pointless.

If you do send an email, make it very short and clear.
Unfortunately, most PI's are terrible at reading emails (understandably because they are so busy)

He has no idea who you are then why bother? Why would he help you when you're applying if he has no idea who you are?

If you want to talk to him about working for him then that's a different matter, but what you're doing sounds pointless.
I was able to get a meeting through my PI (who is not an MD) with someone from the admissions committee (haha though I still got rejected pre interview here) just to get advice about interviews and my application. I think many professors are happy to help and act as mentors in this capacity when they have time, and moreso if you have some connection (for example, my lab collaborates frequently with the adcom member's lab)

I was able to get a meeting through my PI (who is not an MD) with someone from the admissions committee (haha though I still got rejected pre interview here) just to get advice about interviews and my application. I think many professors are happy to help and act as mentors in this capacity when they have time, and moreso if you have some connection (for example, my lab collaborates frequently with the adcom member's lab)

OP didn't make it sound like there was any such connection. As your example shows, even the connection is most often useless.

Reactions: 1 users