This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cait

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I am currently a junior at my university, and due to an undiagnosed health condition (which is documented on my medical records) I was unable to perform well in school and now have a very low GPA.

I went from making a 3.7+ GPA per semester to barely passing classes. I took difficult classes like Mechanics and Ochem multiple times because I couldn't keep up. My health condition was responsible, according to my doctor. He said he was surprised I hadn't failed out of school due to the severity. If necessary, my doctor is willing to testify that my condition was greatly hindering my potential.

I am now receiving treatment for my condition, but there is no "magic pill". I'm getting much better grades, I'm not getting A's in all my classes yet. My doctor said that once I have figured out the right medication for me, I should be able to perform just as well as I did before if not better.

I have about 3 semesters left, and if I make nearly all A's (a few B's were put in my calculations to be safe), I'll have around a 3.05 cGPA/sGPA. Though I do have a "valid excuse" for not performing well, I have decided to pursue a Masters degree (non-thesis) in biomedical sciences to help make up for it. If I perform well in that, I should have a ~3.25 GPA (undergrad + Masters) when I apply.

My real question: Do you think I can still make it into medical school? If so, how do I make up for this GPA?

I haven't done much clinical volunteering (~60 hours). I will have 7 semesters of research (~400 hours) and 2 or 3 publications with my name on them by the time I finish my undergraduate degree. I've shadowed different doctors (multiple specialities) for ~50 hours so far.

What amount of hours do you think I need? What other things can I do to show I'm worthy of being a doctor?

Thanks to anyone who comments! I really appreciate the help & feedback.

Edit: I forgot to mention I'm a Texas resident and I'm not a URM.

Members don't see this ad.

A sustained period of academic excellence will go along way toward allaying concerns regarding your abilities.
Master's degree grades will not achieve this for MD schools, though.
You are in a state that values undergraduate gpa very highly.

Reactions: 1 user
A sustained period of academic excellence will go along way toward allaying concerns regarding your abilities.
Master's degree grades will not achieve this for MD schools, though.

I was told that since I am applying to Texas schools that my Masters GPA would help boost my GPA, so I figured that would be the best course of action. Do you think I won't get any leeway for my GPA despite it being due to a health condition? I honestly don't know if I will or not, so your thoughts on that would be greatly appreciated.

What do you suggest I do instead?

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you suggest instead?
I was told that since I am applying to Texas schools that my Masters GPA would help boost my GPA, so I figured that would be the best course of action.
TX has its own way of looking at things (and a separate application system to prove it!).
If you get information from your state schools that Master's grades will remediate your undergrad performance, do it.

TX has its own way of looking at things (and a separate application system to prove it!).
If you get information from your state schools that Master's grades will remediate your undergrad performance, do it.

Okay awesome! Thanks for your input!

Off topic: You may wish to change your profile pic to protect your anonymity.

Reactions: 1 users
Stop making excuses and get straight A's - study like it's a job. Don't enroll in UNT's Medical Science program or something similar until you are able to crush classes, otherwise it will just be another red flag in a new chapter of your academic career. Yes, the program is known and recognized by state schools as a opportunity for those with poor academic records to prove their ability. You will need nearly perfect grades in addition to a good-great MCAT score with all the other informal requirements that everyone lists on their application in order to have a chance for a holistic review when you finally apply. Good luck, the road is long and unforgiving - but it can be done, especially in Texas.

Hello!

I am currently a junior at my university, and due to an undiagnosed health condition (which is documented on my medical records) I was unable to perform well in school and now have a very low GPA.

I went from making a 3.7+ GPA per semester to barely passing classes. I took difficult classes like Mechanics and Ochem multiple times because I couldn't keep up. My health condition was responsible, according to my doctor. He said he was surprised I hadn't failed out of school due to the severity. If necessary, my doctor is willing to testify that my condition was greatly hindering my potential.

I am now receiving treatment for my condition, but there is no "magic pill". I'm getting much better grades, I'm not getting A's in all my classes yet. My doctor said that once I have figured out the right medication for me, I should be able to perform just as well as I did before if not better.

I have about 3 semesters left, and if I make nearly all A's (a few B's were put in my calculations to be safe), I'll have around a 3.05 cGPA/sGPA. Though I do have a "valid excuse" for not performing well, I have decided to pursue a Masters degree (non-thesis) in biomedical sciences to help make up for it. If I perform well in that, I should have a ~3.25 GPA (undergrad + Masters) when I apply.

My real question: Do you think I can still make it into medical school? If so, how do I make up for this GPA?

I haven't done much clinical volunteering (~60 hours). I will have 7 semesters of research (~400 hours) and 2 or 3 publications with my name on them by the time I finish my undergraduate degree. I've shadowed different doctors (multiple specialities) for ~50 hours so far.

What amount of hours do you think I need? What other things can I do to show I'm worthy of being a doctor?

Thanks to anyone who comments! I really appreciate the help & feedback.

Edit: I forgot to mention I'm a Texas resident and I'm not a URM.
You might consider looking into a retroactive withdrawal from the near-failed semesters, since you have good documentation and your doctor's support. Some universities allow for this (and some even give a tuition refund). It might be a time-limited opportunity, so look into this option soon, by speaking with a dean. Two terms of Ws due to health reasons will look better than two with a D average. And a Withdrawal has no impact on the GPA generated by TMDSAS.

You need to prove you have fixed your problem before any medical school will take you. Why would they consider risking a spot on someone who might relapse. If I were you, I would take a semester off and do research. During that time try and find the right medications to fix your problem. Only once your problem is fixed, then start taking classes again. That is the only way you can convince a medical school that it won't make you fail out of their school.

Stop making excuses and get straight A's - study like it's a job. Don't enroll in UNT's Medical Science program or something similar until you are able to crush classes, otherwise it will just be another red flag in a new chapter of your academic career. Yes, the program is known and recognized by state schools as a opportunity for those with poor academic records to prove their ability. You will need nearly perfect grades in addition to a good-great MCAT score with all the other informal requirements that everyone lists on their application in order to have a chance for a holistic review when you finally apply. Good luck, the road is long and unforgiving - but it can be done, especially in Texas.

I have another year or so before I need to apply to a post-bacc, so by then if I am not crushing classes, I will reevaluate my plans for life and probably rule medicine out as a possibility. Thanks for the advice.

You need to prove you have fixed your problem before any medical school will take you. Why would they consider risking a spot on someone who might relapse. If I were you, I would take a semester off and do research. During that time try and find the right medications to fix your problem. Only once your problem is fixed, then start taking classes again. That is the only way you can convince a medical school that it won't make you fail out of their school.

I didn't disclose my condition because I figured it wasn't necessary, but now I feel like it will help give some insight to what I'm trying to overcome. I have narcolepsy, so not only am I exhausted 24/7 but it is hard for me to actually study "effectively" and retain what I've studied. I am now on medication and doing much better (went from all D's & F's to all A's and a B or two). While I'm not getting ALL A's yet, I'm nearly at that point. But part of this process is trial and error, figuring out what study methods work best for me and when it is the best time for me to study. I can't realistically figure those out without taking classes where the pressure to succeed is on.

Taking off a semester would not allow me to figure out what's the best way for me to become a better student, in my opinion. Also, this condition doesn't have a "relapse", so once I figure out how to live/thrive with this condition I will continue to do so.

Like I said earlier in this thread, I still have at least a year until I apply for grad school and 2-3 years before I apply to med school, so if a semester or two from now I am not getting all A's, I will probably discover medicine isn't the right path for me.

You might consider looking into a retroactive withdrawal from the near-failed semesters, since you have good documentation and your doctor's support. Some universities allow for this (and some even give a tuition refund). It might be a time-limited opportunity, so look into this option soon, by speaking with a dean. Two terms of Ws due to health reasons will look better than two with a D average. And a Withdrawal has no impact on the GPA generated by TMDSAS.

Wow! I was told that my grades, even if I were to have them disregarded for medical reasons, were still going to count towards my GPA on my medical school applications. I'm glad to hear otherwise! Do you mind sharing with me where you found that information so I can see with my own eyes?

I did still plan to have a semester dropped from my transcript, but I thought this would only help when applying to graduate schools. My final estimated GPA without that semester would be around 3.3-3.4 cGPA sGPA.

Wow! I was told that my grades, even if I were to have them disregarded for medical reasons, were still going to count towards my GPA on my medical school applications. I'm glad to hear otherwise! Do you mind sharing with me where you found that information so I can see with my own eyes?

I did still plan to have a semester dropped from my transcript, but I thought this would only help when applying to graduate schools. My final estimated GPA without that semester would be around 3.3-3.4 cGPA and sGPA.

I did still plan to have a semester dropped from my transcript, but I thought this would only help when applying to graduate schools. My final estimated GPA without that semester would be around 3.3-3.4 cGPA sGPA.
At my school, the type of withdrawal I'm referring to would completely obliterate all grades for the term as if one had never attended. There would be no coursework listed, nor any Ws (similar to dropping a class early in a term). At your school, the policy might be different. At your school, perhaps a W will appear with the course name, but it should be still treated the same as a withdrawal after the official drop date, namely, you are not obliged to report the grade at the time of the drop.

Note that your special situation isn't mentioned on the TMDSAS website: http://www.tmdsas.com/medical/section_Overview.html I can only bring up a possibility worth investigating, based on personal experience at my own school. I can't make a guarantee of outcome.