How will this factor into my prereq GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PathforwardtoDPT

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question 1:
So I took psychology back in my freshman year when I didn't take things seriously and got a "no pass." I've since retaken it (~9 years later) and received an A. Will the "no pass" be considered my first try even though it wasn't a letter grade option? I also have an A in abnormal psychology in case that helps.

Question 2:
Same applies to the regular statistics course I took nearly a decade ago. I got an F in this course at a community college prior to going to my main undergrad school. I understand that most programs that require stats will accept regular statistics or biostatistics. I've since taken biostatistics and received an A. Since biostats and regular stats are technically different courses, can biostatistics be considered as my first attempt without the past F in regular stats affecting my prereq GPA?

Question 3:
How often do programs take into account the last ~60 credit hours' GPA when looking into a student's academic past? These two courses which I did not pass at were at the very beginning of my college career when I was lost and unmotivated.

I'm asking because if these two courses aren't rolled into my prereq GPA, I would actually have a 4.0 prereq GPA. Crossing my fingers hoping technicalities can save me here... I'm applying to southern California schools in case anybody is wondering. Hope my questions make sense. Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Question 1:
So I took psychology back in my freshman year when I didn't take things seriously and got a "no pass." I've since retaken it (~9 years later) and received an A. Will the "no pass" be considered my first try even though it wasn't a letter grade option? I also have an A in abnormal psychology in case that helps.

Question 2:
Same applies to the regular statistics course I took nearly a decade ago. I got an F in this course at a community college prior to going to my main undergrad school. I understand that most programs that require stats will accept regular statistics or biostatistics. I've since taken biostatistics and received an A. Since biostats and regular stats are technically different courses, can biostatistics be considered as my first attempt without the past F in regular stats affecting my prereq GPA?

Question 3:
How often do programs take into account the last ~60 credit hours' GPA when looking into a student's academic past? These two courses which I did not pass at were at the very beginning of my college career when I was lost and unmotivated.

I'm asking because if these two courses aren't rolled into my prereq GPA, I would actually have a 4.0 prereq GPA. Crossing my fingers hoping technicalities can save me here... I'm applying to southern California schools in case anybody is wondering. Hope my questions make sense. Thanks again!

Question 1: If a "no pass" is like a WF, my school assigns an F to that, in that case yes it affects it.
Question 2: No.
Question 3: That depends on the program and there are plenty of threads on this forum where people say schools that do that.

Will either course be older than 10 years old? Some schools don't count courses outside of a 10 year window which would be a good thing in your case.

Members don't see this ad :)
Question 1: If a "no pass" is like a WF, my school assigns an F to that, in that case yes it affects it.
Question 2: No.
Question 3: That depends on the program and there are plenty of threads on this forum where people say schools that do that.

:(:( Dangit. Alright. Am I correct to assume that some programs will only look at the most recent or highest grade while others will average them out?

Will either course be older than 10 years old? Some schools don't count courses outside of a 10 year window which would be a good thing in your case.

They're not older than 10 years old. But they were taken at the very beginning of my college career. I've since become a much better student.

I had a few similar F's from courses that were more than 10 years old....and I still got nailed for those grades. Yikes. So basically, even though I had to retake the class because the class was too old, they were going to count it against me. Awesome. Basic answer is it depends on the school, but likely will be calculated into your GPA by most schools at least for pre req and cumulative.

My F and the no pass are 9 yrs and 8 yrs ago respectively. I hope they take this into account....

Again, they can "see" how old they are...but they are still calculated into your pre reqs. In my case, when my failed classes were counted, I did not mean the minimum pre req GPA of 3.0. So even though I had straight As for the past 8 years before applying to PT school, my really old classes significantly pulled my GPA down. The next year, I retook even more courses to meet the minimum GPA by .01 of a point and I was accepted easily everywhere. On paper, my numbers looked really low, but yes, the schools could see I was a perfect student for nearly a decade before applying to PT school so my academic history looked stronger than my numbers.

They "see" them, but they may or may not get factored. If they replace grades then they don't, from a raw numbers perspective, but if they average, then yes. It will be a positive or negative factor for you or against you depending on the viewer or program criteria.