HPSP C/O 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone hear any Navy updates regarding March boards yet?

My recruiter contacted me today. Just like others have said, all spots have been filled, so I’m on the alternate list.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone hear any numbers concerning the 3 and 4 year Navy scholarships?

My recruiter told me if I am not selected for the 4 year that I will hear back about the 3 year in September or October. Anyone confirm this?

Does anybody know if they added more alternate spots from the March board? If so, how many?

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you on the Navy alternate list, are you going to consider applying for the 3-yr option through the Army or Air Force?

My recruiter was basically saying I should apply to the other branches...

Reactions: 1 user
Does anybody know the process of selecting the 3 year? Are all the alternates ranked? Or do they meet again to assess the pool of applicants?

I will be contacting an Air Force and Army recruiter soon.

Isn’t there a HSCP option? Anyone know how we can apply to that?

For those of you on the Navy alternate list, are you going to consider applying for the 3-yr option through the Army or Air Force?

My recruiter was basically saying I should apply to the other branches...

I'm applying for 3 year AF but would prefer to not go through Army

Isn’t there a HSCP option? Anyone know how we can apply to that?
I read on a previous thread that the HSCP is offered after the 3 years are handed out. But I'm not sure. I asked my recruiter in a text and he never replied

Does anyone know when we would find out if we got off the alternate list or just rejected for the Navy HPSP? Is there a way to also know what number we are on the alternate list?

My recruiter told me that everyone will know what they got by July, maybe even earlier.

Reactions: 1 users
My recruiter told me that everyone will know what they got by July, maybe even earlier.
Did your recruiter tell you about the chances of being let off the alternate list and accepted? Is it a common to have waitlist movement for HPSP?

Did your recruiter tell you about the chances of being let off the alternate list and accepted? Is it a common to have waitlist movement for HPSP?
My recruiter said there’s a very good chance to get a scholarship as an alternate. According to him, some alternates will be offered 3-year scholarships. Also, there are still some people who were offered the 4-year scholarship who will end up turning it down for whatever reason, allowing for more alternates to move up. This is just what he said, I don’t know if others can confirm this.

My recruiter said there’s a very good chance to get a scholarship as an alternate. According to him, some alternates will be offered 3-year scholarships. Also, there are still some people who were offered the 4-year scholarship who will end up turning it down for whatever reason, allowing for more alternates to move up. This is just what he said, I don’t know if others can confirm this.
Wait, is the alternate list for people who want the 4-year scholarship only? I want the 3-year now, but was put into consideration for the 4-year at the time of application, since I was not sure what school I was going to yet.

Did you recruiter say when they would start giving out scholarships to alternates if they're available? Sorry for asking so many questions. My recruiter hasn't been the best at giving me information when I ask. Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Wait, is the alternate list for people who want the 4-year scholarship only? I want the 3-year now, but was put into consideration for the 4-year at the time of application, since I was not sure what school I was going to yet.

Did you recruiter say when they would start giving out scholarships to alternates if they're available? Sorry for asking so many questions. My recruiter hasn't been the best at giving me information when I ask. Thank you in advance!
My understanding is that at least for the Navy, 3-year scholarships are usually given to people who applied for the 4-year scholarship but were placed on the alternate list. The 3-year scholarship recipients should be notified by July, according to my recruiter.

No worries, I know this whole process is pretty confusing.

Hey guys,
I received my March board results on Wendesday, April 10th. I was selected as an alternate. Does anyone know what this means? Is this the same as the oml (order of merit list)? Best of luck to all of you!

Hey guys,
I received my March board results on Wendesday, April 10th. I was selected as an alternate. Does anyone know what this means? Is this the same as the oml (order of merit list)? Best of luck to all of you!
Who Dis?

My most recent update was that we are still waiting on the final signature from the Navy Admiral in D.C. Hoping it happens before I graduate and move!

Last update I received from my recruiter was that they are a bit behind in issuing final select letters to the 1st board recipients. They will also reassess how many open slots are left since selects from the 1st board were given to Apr 15th to accept the HPSP. 2nd board has 19 alternates and 3rd board selected 20 more alternates. So now we wait until around end of May to hear further news.

He does not know how the alternate list is ranked or whether that part has even happened yet. Just that they only received an alternate list unranked for the last two boards.

My main hope, as a 2nd board alt, comes from the fact that he had an applicant last year who still received the 3-year HPSP as a 3rd board alt.

Reactions: 3 users
I hea
Last update I received from my recruiter was that they are a bit behind in issuing final select letters to the 1st board recipients. They will also reassess how many open slots are left since selects from the 1st board were given to Apr 15th to accept the HPSP. 2nd board has 19 alternates and 3rd board selected 20 more alternates. So now we wait until around end of May to hear further news.

He does not know how the alternate list is ranked or whether that part has even happened yet. Just that they only received an alternate list unranked for the last two boards.

My main hope, as a 2nd board alt, comes from the fact that he had an applicant last year who still received the 3-year HPSP as a 3rd board alt.
I heard the same thing from my recruiter this past friday, 4/19. February boards were the 3rd boards? I also received an alt, but for March boards.

I just received my final select letter for the Navy this morning! Thank God! Appointments still need to be confirmed by the Secretary of Defense, but after they are, your local Navy recruiting district will be able to commission you. Best of luck everybody.

Reactions: 4 users
Anybody know about how many 3 year scholarships the navy will be giving?

I just received my final select letter for the Navy this morning! Thank God! Appointments still need to be confirmed by the Secretary of Defense, but after they are, your local Navy recruiting district will be able to commission you. Best of luck everybody.
Did your recruiter receive your final select letter or did you get it in your personal mailbox?

Got a slight update from my Navy recruiter. He said if you are not offered a 4 year (we will find out within the next couple of weeks, I think he said July at the latest? Students had until April 15 to accept or decline the 4 year), You are automatically offered a 3 year. Taking this with a grain of salt though. Good luck everyone!

For anyone who is still wondering about the 4-year scholarships for the Navy.. I just got a call today from my recruiter asking if I would still accept the scholarship if it was offered. I have been on the alternate list since the first boards met, and my recruiter told me that the program manager was sending my application to the boards to be considered again. He said I have a really high chance of getting it now, but who really knows at this point. If that is the case, then it means they are starting to select alternates now, and more applicants might be getting notification soon!

I was professionally recommended for the Navy HPSP (Jan board), but did not receive my final select letter until today. That being said, I’m confused by the April 15th acceptance deadline mentioned in other posts. Until one receives the final select, you can’t technically accept anything, so I feel like the April 15 deadline recruiters have mentioned is a little misleading. I haven’t accepted anything, and that deadline already passed.

Because of this, I imagine the timeline for everything will be later than expected. So, just a heads up, take what recruiters say with a grain of salt, because basically nobody knows for sure what Is going on hah

Reactions: 2 users
I was professionally recommended for the Navy HPSP (Jan board), but did not receive my final select letter until today. That being said, I’m confused by the April 15th acceptance deadline mentioned in other posts. Until one receives the final select, you can’t technically accept anything, so I feel like the April 15 deadline recruiters have mentioned is a little misleading. I haven’t accepted anything, and that deadline already passed.

Because of this, I imagine the timeline for everything will be later than expected. So, just a heads up, take what recruiters say with a grain of salt, because basically nobody knows for sure what Is going on hah

So since learning you were professionally recommended you did not receive any additional information? And now that you have your final select letter what else do you have to do?

So since learning you were professionally recommended you did not receive any additional information? And now that you have your final select letter what else do you have to do?
Since I learned I was professionally recommended, I've received pretty much no information and have just been told to wait for the final select letter.

Did your recruiter receive your final select letter or did you get it in your personal mailbox?
My recruiter received the letter and then sent it to me.

Same as what @merg97 said. Basically zero communication other than the occasional “ still waiting” text.
Now it’s just a matter of setting up a commissioning date and getting sworn in.

Reactions: 3 users
Location wise Navy win hands down. The only downside is the possibility of being attached to a ship and deploying. However some people don’t have a problem with that. Also, I know a lot of people who are not attached to a ship and serve with the marines instead.

Follow your heart and go navy :)

I know a Navy dentist that got stationed in Hawaii, then Okinawa Japan, then on a beach town in Spain, and now in San Diego. Not too bad??

Got my final select letter today for navy as well

Got my final select letter today for navy as well

Awesome. Navy is career. One of few that still offers pension. Do 20 years, collect pension and continue with private practice. 2 checks. Pay sucks in the military in the beginning. Unlike private practice it goes up every year. It adds up over time. Pay is pretty good at the end.

Got a slight update from my Navy recruiter. He said if you are not offered a 4 year (we will find out within the next couple of weeks, I think he said July at the latest? Students had until April 15 to accept or decline the 4 year), You are automatically offered a 3 year. Taking this with a grain of salt though. Good luck everyone!
Hmm interesting, I was only informed that 3 year selections would be by Sept. We should definitely continue sharing what little info we get, maybe we can somehow get a fuller picture

Hmm interesting, I was only informed that 3 year selections would be by Sept. We should definitely continue sharing what little info we get, maybe we can somehow get a fuller picture
Right. I asked to clarify if every single alternate is guaranteed to be offered a 3 year and he said yes, But hesitated a bit at times. Honestly he isn't always the most reliable! He said it's not uncommon for people who were not offered the 4 year to be offered the 3 year and then reject it, so maybe they handed out more alternates than 3 years to plan for that. That's just a speculation though.

Right. I asked to clarify if every single alternate is guaranteed to be offered a 3 year and he said yes, But hesitated a bit at times. Honestly he isn't always the most reliable! He said it's not uncommon for people who were not offered the 4 year to be offered the 3 year and then reject it, so maybe they handed out more alternates than 3 years to plan for that. That's just a speculation though.
I've considered the same myself that this would likely be a good strategy so that they could negate the risk of being understaffed. It's good to see that we have some activity this week on the thread, glad to have others like yourself who are open to speaking, afterall, wd may very well end up working together at some point

Navy Official Select Letter in this morning! Congrats to all my peers! Cheers.

Reactions: 5 users
Received my Final Select as well. Apparently the letter gas the date of April 8th. Wonder what took so long.

Reactions: 4 users
Do you know how long until we can be commissioned?
I was told that recruiters need to fill out certain paperwork. Mine told me he'd finish that by next week and then I can commission whenever I want after that.

My recruiter wants to commission me around 30 days before the semester starts. But I am pretty sure they can commission you anytime after they receive the completed documents, which should be in the next few weeks.

As everyone else said, thats basically between you and your recruiter after you finish the paperwork. I asked mine when was the earliest I could swear in and she was like, "Next week". So now im scheduled for next friday when I just got my letter yesterday.

Does anyone know if the monthly stipend is taxed? My recruiter told me it was not, but the Navy website states that the stipend is taxable at the federal and state level.

As far as i know, the monthly stipend is taxed. The prior HPSP students (current military dentists) told me that they got around $2000 per month after tax. They were paid bi-weekly on 1st and 15th, which is around $1000 per paycheck.

I got this paragraph from Navy Medicine Website (Pages - InfoViewPage.aspx):

For the year 12 July 2018 through 30 June 2019, the stipend amount is $2,330.78 per month and the FAP grant is $45,000 per year. Stipend and bonus/grants are taxable by both the federal and state government. The HPSP/FAP student stipend begins accruing on the benefit start date and ends on graduation day, or on the date all academic requirements for receipt of the professional degree, if that date precedes the date of graduation by more than 45 days.

HPSP participants are eligible for 12 months of financial assistance each year: 10 ½ months of stipend and 1½ months of active duty pay and allowances as an Ensign while on annual training (AT). Stipend payments are suspended while a student is on AT or if placed in a Leave Without Pay (LWOP) status.

As far as i know, the monthly stipend is taxed. The prior HPSP students (current military dentists) told me that they got around $2000 per month after tax. They were paid bi-weekly on 1st and 15th, which is around $1000 per paycheck.

I got this paragraph from Navy Medicine Website (Pages - InfoViewPage.aspx):

For the year 12 July 2018 through 30 June 2019, the stipend amount is $2,330.78 per month and the FAP grant is $45,000 per year. Stipend and bonus/grants are taxable by both the federal and state government. The HPSP/FAP student stipend begins accruing on the benefit start date and ends on graduation day, or on the date all academic requirements for receipt of the professional degree, if that date precedes the date of graduation by more than 45 days.

HPSP participants are eligible for 12 months of financial assistance each year: 10 ½ months of stipend and 1½ months of active duty pay and allowances as an Ensign while on annual training (AT). Stipend payments are suspended while a student is on AT or if placed in a Leave Without Pay (LWOP) status.

Thank you for the clarification. Yeah this is the website I got the info from as well. Not sure why my recruiter told me that the stipend was tax free

Forum has been a little light on the Air Force side. Anyone with the AF scholarship receive official letter or commission yet?

Forum has been a little light on the Air Force side. Anyone with the AF scholarship receive official letter or commission yet?
I was commissioned in early April as well

Has anyone been taken off the Army OML list or heard of any news?